PDA

View Full Version : Worth another go?

ddiplock
02-23-12, 03:26 AM
Is it worth me re-installing SH5 and giving it another go?? Are there any mods that pretty much eliminate the arcade style gameplay and return the game to the essential brilliance that was SH3??

See, I bought SH5 about a year and a bit ago, installed it, played it for all of 15 minutes and quit and uninstalled it. Didn't play it for about 8 months or so, then tried to install the game again after an 8 month hiatus, and again quit after about 30 minutes this time.....it just felt restrictive and too arcady. Its a shame, because I sometimes wish I hadn't bought the game.

The "storyline" nature that I felt in the first mission with the U-Boat commander prattling on about him sensing a war coming I just didn't like I'm afraid. I liked the complete and utter open freedom that both SH3 and SH4 had, you started an independant career, went off to your patrol zone and did what you want.....have they taken that aspect out of SH5?

Have I been too harsh on SH5?? I considered the SH series complete at 4 as I just haven't been able to really accept SH5 as part of what is a fantastic series of games. Is it worth trying to re-install it again? Are there any mods that remove the games.....arcade like feel?

Cheers chaps :D

Michael13
02-23-12, 03:57 AM
Question is did you installed any mods? Or just played vanilla game each time?

ddiplock
02-23-12, 05:07 AM
Question is did you installed any mods? Or just played vanilla game each time?

I confess that I did quit without installing any mods.....the game just didn't feel at all upto polish despite the fancy graphics. I just wanted to be able to play the game and do open end patrols without the apparent "story" element that the game appears to incorporate, at least in the first mission.

Or does the game become open ended after that? :)

THE_MASK
02-23-12, 05:09 AM
read this
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=180044

Michael13
02-23-12, 06:00 AM
Story mode is only tutorial. After you have free patrols. And with mods game can be not less hardcore than SH3.

ddiplock
02-23-12, 06:09 AM
Story mode is only tutorial. After you have free patrols. And with mods game can be not less hardcore than SH3.

Well, that being the case, it might be time for me to dust it down and actually give it a go...see if it is at all on par with SH3 :yeah:

I know that Ubi have stopped patch support etc for it now, but are you still required to have a perm internet connection to run the game?

tonschk
02-23-12, 06:38 AM
DRM have been already removed from Silent Hunter 5 a few Months ago

ddiplock
02-23-12, 08:15 AM
Have to admit.....I'm think I will give it another go. Even if it does mean having to download 50 mods to get it working.....if that's the case I probably won't get it working tonight hah :)

blkdimnd
02-23-12, 10:52 AM
Have to admit.....I'm think I will give it another go. Even if it does mean having to download 50 mods to get it working.....if that's the case I probably won't get it working tonight hah :)

You only need to download 6 mods.
MMM parts 1-6 see here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192236