PDA

View Full Version : 'The Mozart of Chess'

Takeda Shingen
02-20-12, 12:01 PM
For our resident chess fans:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7399370n&tag=contentBody;storyMediaBox

Saw this on 60 Minutes last night. What I wouldn't give to have a mind that worked like this guy's does. And check him out playing Kasparov; getting up and skipping around like a kid would do while Kasparov sits with his head in his hands. It's the full segment and 13 minutes long, but a great view.

Jimbuna
02-20-12, 01:14 PM
Fascinating...a very special individual indeed.

I wasn't overly impressed with the way Kasparove behaved though.

Torplexed
02-20-12, 01:48 PM
Fascinating...a very special individual indeed.

I wasn't overly impressed with the way Kasparove behaved though.

Perhaps. Most chess grandmasters tend to be eccentric. However, compared to kooky American Bobby Fischer they all look like paragons of rationality. :D

RickC Sniper
02-20-12, 01:50 PM
I assume time was a factor, and also the need to appeal to mostly non-chess viewers, but I would have liked to see some mention of his on/off relationship with Kasparov.

Also, and explanation as to why he is the #1 rated chess player in the world, but not the world champion.

An interesting piece, though, and a decent introduction of him to those who were not aware of who he is.

Betonov
02-20-12, 03:53 PM
Epic :DL

Playing against 10 people without watching the board :o
Thats some mindpower

And I love playing chess. Too bad I don't know how it feels to win :dead:

Skybird
02-20-12, 04:14 PM
Ah, about Magnus Carlsen. One of the sparkling stars in the sky of chess. If he manages to stay grounded in reality and not looses his sane mind, he will become one of the very very greatest names in chess' annals. To some part, he already is.

Kasparow allowed him exclsuive access to his own private collection of tournament chess match datasets, which are said to be extremely huge and precious. Many would kill to be allowed to have a glimpse at them. He must have become aware of Carlsen's incredible talents very early.