PDA

View Full Version : Directory for Saved Game due to new installation

Raf83
02-17-12, 09:03 AM
I had previously running "SH4 wolves of the pacific" from my D: drive but the saved games were on C: drive. Due to memory shortage I replaced the C: HDD with a new one and still can load SH4 normally from D: except without my saved games.

I did save the "saved games" files from C: drive but it's unclear to me were to put them so SH4 recognises it in "Load Game" menu which it now doesn't.

Who can help me out here, because SH4 is one of the best games ever and I cherish my saved games :) Can somebody tell me where to put the files? I already put it in the main directory but he doesn't accept that.

For your info: from my C: drive I now have 4 directory's called: RichSavedGames, SaveGames, UPCInitial, UserPlayerContent and 9 CFG & TMG files including one called save.tmp

Jan Kyster
02-18-12, 02:50 AM
Place all your above mentioned files and folders into [your documents]\SH4\data\cfg

:ping:

Raf83
02-27-12, 06:32 AM
Unfortunatelly it doesn't work :cry:

The files like you mentioned (from my C drive: RichSavedGames, SaveGames, UPCInitial, UserPlayerContent and 9 CFG & TMG files including one called save.tmp ) I placed them into the D:/SH4/data/Cfg directory and he asked 4 times if I wanted to replace some files what I did but still no games to load...

Any other ideas?

Jan Kyster
02-27-12, 07:37 AM
Try cleaning your documents\SH4\data folder before copying your saved files.

It shall work! :D

Raf83
03-02-12, 04:30 AM
Do you mean the .../SH4/Data/CFG folder?

Because I deleted all the files in this CFG folder and placed my old saved files in there, but still there are no saved games at "Load Game" in the SH4 menu.

I hope your right that it shall work :hmmm:

Jan Kyster
03-02-12, 08:57 AM
Assuming you're running Windows, click Start and then click Documents.

In this folder you'll see a folder named SH4, right? Unless you used MultiSH4...? :hmmm:

The structure of this folder is SH4\data\cfg, like this:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z15/subject_rod/ScreenShots/SH4DOC.jpg

Hope this helps a bit...

Jan

Raf83
03-08-12, 05:36 AM
First of all thanks for your effort to help me out here, but unfortunatelly it still doesn't work. I work indeed with windows and I don't have a multiSH4 so the new SH4 is installed at D:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\

I cleaned completely the D:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\Data\Cfg file and after that I placed the saved games (from D:\Mijn Documenten\SH4\data\cfg) into this Cfg file.

But when I click on Load Game there are no saved games :(

p.s. Can the difference between SH4 and Silent Hunter 4 directory be the problem? And I had to clean the Cfg file right, not replace the existing files only?

WernherVonTrapp
03-08-12, 08:14 AM
I cleaned completely the D:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\Data\Cfg file and after that I placed the saved games (from D:\Mijn Documenten\SH4\data\cfg) into this Cfg file.

I hope I'm wrong, but from the way you describe it, it looks like you deleted the game's ".cfg" files and replaced them with your "Saved Games .cfg" files. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here but, it looks to me like you've confused two completely different sets of files.

Pisces
03-08-12, 05:06 PM
I think you are placing the files in the wrong location. The set of files and folders that make your savegames are stored inside the: (My) Documents folder/SH4/Data/Cfg path.

You seem to be placing them in the SH4 Game's install folder. That's not where they are supposed to be stored.

Just open (My) Documents ("Mijn Documenten"). In Windows XP and Vista/7 it has different locations on your (C) drive. So without knowing what Windows version you have it is risky pointing you to a specific folder path on your drive. Anyway, in the "Mijn Documenten" should be a SH4 folder. (If there is none then make a dummy career to force it) In it is a "data" folder. And in that is the "cfg". That is where those files should go. (Like Jan Kyster's image, taking language differences into consideration)

Whoops, I missed the following!!!

p.s. Can the difference between SH4 and Silent Hunter 4 directory be the problem?Yes!!! With the first act you deleted critical game files. WernherVonTrapp is correct. Uninstall the game and reinstall it first! Then when that is done, copy the savegame files into the location mentioned earlier in my message.

Raf83
03-09-12, 07:15 AM
Again thanks for all the effort and I did as you both mentioned but still NOT working! :wah:

I deleted SH4 from my pc and reinstalled it completely (on C:\program files\SH4 this time)

Than I copied my saved files (4 folders and 9 CFG, MIS, TMP and TSR files) into the new directory: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH4\Data\Cfg

On 3 files he asked me if I wanted to replace them and I choosed Yes so the newer (saved) ones replaced the existing (2007) ones: that were GamePlaySettings.cfg, GFXsettings.cfg and Main.cfg

Was that correct??

p.s. The cfg folder was not supposed to be cleaned before copying right?

WernherVonTrapp
03-09-12, 07:36 AM
Than I copied my saved files (4 folders and 9 CFG, MIS, TMP and TSR files) into the new directory: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH4\Data\Cfg

Was that correct??

p.s. The cfg folder was not supposed to be cleaned before copying right?
Sounds like you did the same thing all over again. Don't touch, replace (or copy any other files into) the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH4\Data\Cfg folder.

The "Saved Games" files belong ONLY in the SH4 folder found in your "My Documents" folder.

Raf83
03-16-12, 04:18 AM
Again I thought I understood you guys and copied/replaced only the GamePlaySettings.cfg, GFXsettings.cfg and Main.cfg files but still not working.

WernherVonTrapp:
The "Saved Games" files belong ONLY in the SH4 folder found in your "My Documents" folder. But is that correct? because the game itself is now on C:\program files\SH4 etc and what I saved from my previous HDD I just stored it than quickly on D:\My documents, so if I don't touch/replace or copy anything on the C: drive how will the game know where to look for my saved files?

Those files who I saved before removing SH4 look like this:
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r511/Raf838/newsituation.jpg

Previous attemps I copied and replaced these files (from D: drive) completely into the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH4\Data\Cfg where now the game is, but that didn't work. (With and without cleaning of the directory, it both didn't work)

After your last messages I copied/replaced ONLY GamePlaySettings.cfg, GFXsettings.cfg and Main.cfg so now the SH4 Game directory looks like this:
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r511/Raf838/GameCurrentSituation.jpg

But still when I start the game, inside the menu I cannot load my old games when I click on "Load Game"

Looking forward to your advices again guys! And thanks for the patience with me :03:

Jan Kyster
03-16-12, 05:26 AM
Forget where you install SH4 - it makes no difference and doesn't matter.

And do yourself a favour and stay out of it. There really isn't anything you can do in there...

Your saved files are always stored in [your documents]\SH4\Data\cfg - as you were told in post #2.
Reason for typing [your documents] that way is, the actual folder name on depends on your location.
If you're english the folder is called My Documents...

In your case, the foldername is probably "Mijn documenten"... http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z15/subject_rod/smilies/scratch.gif

Forget where you install SH4. Document folder is the key.

Raf83
03-18-12, 03:20 AM
Finally it worked!! :D

There were two "My documents" folders, one hidden on C: which I forgot to be honest and one D: (which is my normal one) and that's where it went wrong and I was confused about your messages.

Thanks for your effort!!!

Jan Kyster
03-18-12, 05:19 AM
Yes! Victory at last! http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z15/subject_rod/smilies/trampoline.gif

There were two "My documents" folders, one hidden on C: which I forgot to be honest...And it's best to keep that place forgotten!

Btw. it's recommended to install your games away from the program folder.
Instead make a folder on your D-drive named Games and use that.
That'll save you from a potential hassle further down the road...

Another tip is to keep the first install clean and un-modded.
Just make a copy of it to another place and use that instead.

And do make a copy for each of the major mods... and U-Boat Missions... MultiSH4 is your friend.

Thanks for your effort!!!You're welcome! Glad things were solved! :up:

The bill ended up in a total of $72, which you just transfer to Neal's account and we're good! :sunny:

I'm goin' down
03-18-12, 07:31 AM
Like a great billfish Jan Kyster emerges, then is gone.