PDA

View Full Version : Foolish act of bravery

Jimbuna
02-13-12, 07:55 AM
Brave or stupid?...you decide :hmmm:

A man who stripped down to his underwear and crawled across a frozen river to rescue his trapped dog has been condemned by firefighters.
According to an eyewitness, the man fell into the River Stour, in Dedham, Essex, at about 10:00 GMT on Sunday but managed to climb out with the animal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17005566

Herr-Berbunch
02-13-12, 08:11 AM
Foolish for letting a dog off near the ice/water. Foolishly brave for stripping - in icy water with clothing I think the clothes would cause more hassle than wearing none. Foolishly brave for going after the mutt.

So that's three foolish to two braves, the mans a fool.

But then he's just also saved the life of his best friend. :hmmm:

Tribesman
02-13-12, 08:41 AM
Brave or stupid?...

Stupid, no question about it.

Oberon
02-13-12, 08:46 AM
I'm with Herr B with this one. The dog shouldn't have been in the water in the first place.

BossMark
02-13-12, 08:53 AM
I also agree with Herr-B the dog shouldn't have been let off its leash, but on different note he must bloody love that dog :hmmm:

Kapitan
02-13-12, 01:47 PM
foolish i know the river and its not the cleanest and its quite difficault to swim in good conditions this was dumb.

Betonov
02-13-12, 03:44 PM
Call me stupid (and I know Tribes will) but I'd go in to get my dog.

But I never walk my dog near a river in the summer, let alone in the winter. I had to get wet one time when the currents were to strong for him and that was in may.

Oberon
02-13-12, 03:48 PM
Call me stupid (and I know Tribes will) but I'd go in to get my dog.

But I never walk my dog near a river in the summer, let alone in the winter. I had to get wet one time when the currents were to strong for him and that was in may.

I'd do everything I could...but I don't know if I'd go on the ice, if I was the weight of that guy then yes, yes I would...but I'm not, and it'd be a little like someone dropping the NS Lenin into the river.

Stealhead
02-13-12, 03:59 PM
Actually the man did do one smart thing by taking most of his clothes off if you know you are going into cold water that actually is not a bad idea because once you get out if you had wet clothing it will cause you to either to get hypothermia or make it worse of course if you go into such waters you are going to get hypothermia anyway so on second thought not so smart.

If that was my dog he would be out of luck I'd try anything to get him short of going onto the ice or in the water not the best idea considering that the dog more than likely would have gotten off the ice on his own sooner or later.Of course I'd have him on a leash if he was apt to disobey me.

Takeda Shingen
02-13-12, 04:30 PM
I would do that for my dog. I don't think that there is a single pet owner on this forum who wouldn't. That is a family member that fell into that river.

Stealhead
02-13-12, 05:03 PM
I enjoy my pets dont get me wrong but I am not going to risk my life for them on that level the most I ever did was drag my dog as I swam across a small lake the dog had nearly drowned herself trying to catch a duck and it was really not a risk on my part seeing it was summer the only reason I swam was because not boat was available.Besides dogs are fairly smart he would only be doomed if he fell though ice and got stuck in the water other wise he would have tired of being on the ice and gotten off sooner or later just fine.I have had dogs jump out of my boat and manage to get back into the boat on their own of course it depends on the breed as well if it had been a Labrador the dog would have had a blast in the water and come home later.

I am not gong to risk dying and have my wife and children be without their father for a dog or cat or whatever sorry we'll go to the humane society and get another one.I dont mean to sound cold the vet had to put a cat of mine down once and I cried as much as when my grandfather died that cat was very loyal to me but still there is a limit at least for me when it comes to pets/animals I will go out of my way to help but not put my life on the line.

CaptainMattJ.
02-14-12, 02:19 AM
Well, we must remember that, things happen. and when things happen you gotta deal with it. bravo, brave soul. next time youll be more careful, eh?

Esanssi
02-14-12, 02:24 AM
It was foolish of him to let the dog get in the river, but all and all I'd say he acted fairly reasonably(removing his clothes so that they wouldn't get wet etc).

Reece
02-14-12, 04:50 AM
Stupid, no question about it.
You're not wrong!!:nope: I'd like to think that I would lay my life down for another human but certainly not for an animal!!:doh:

Skybird
02-14-12, 06:00 AM
That he got undressed, probably indicates that he did not act in a state of blinding emotional arousal.

Foolish or brave? That'S in the eye of the beholder. I take it as what it is: he weighted the options and made a decision. If the dog was worth the risk to him, so be it. People have the right to take risks.

There is so much detail in the life and the mind of this person that we do not know. Maybe he knows that he is terminally ill. Maybe he is a misled Buddhist seeking Nirvana. Maybe he knows his girlfriend would kill him if he comes home wiothout the dog. Maybe the dog is the only friend left in his life. Maybe he is mentally handicapped.

We take note of the event. There is no need that we must judge it.

u crank
02-14-12, 06:57 AM
Tough call. We all know the emotional attachment that people have to their pets and at a moment like this emotion would probably win out over better judgement. But here's something to think about. If you called for help, the fire dept./rescue workers would try to save your pet but not take any unnecessary risks, but if they have to rescue the pet owner they would have to put their lives at risk. I don't think that would be fair to them. Like I said, tough call.

Platapus
02-14-12, 05:52 PM
I would imagine that most acts of bravery may appear foolish to some people. All depends on what's important to you.

I would like to think, in the same circumstance, I would go after my dog.

Takeda Shingen
02-14-12, 05:54 PM
We take note of the event. There is no need that we must judge it.

I request permission to put that in my signature. What a fantastic line. :up:

Betonov
02-14-12, 05:55 PM
I would imagine that most acts of bravery may appear foolish to some people. All depends on what's important to you.

True that.
I get a lot of raised eyebrows when I say I'm a volunteer medic at the red cross/civil defence. Like I'm a loon for wanting to save someone's life. Heck, I've been called an idiot for donating blood :-?

em2nought
02-14-12, 08:42 PM
I think I'd do that for almost any dog before I'd do it for the average human. This offer excludes Pit Bulls. No kids or wife, if my sister has to take care of my mother when I die it's and added bonus. :D

August
02-14-12, 08:44 PM
Foolish or brave? That'S in the eye of the beholder. I take it as what it is: he weighted the options and made a decision. If the dog was worth the risk to him, so be it. People have the right to take risks.

Exactly, and his judgement was ultimately proven valid by the results. He rescued the dog and came through it unscathed. Hard to argue with success.

Takeda Shingen
02-14-12, 08:44 PM
I think I'd do that for almost any dog before I'd do it for the average human. This offer excludes Pit Bulls. No kids or wife, if my sister has to take care of my mother when I die it's and added bonus. :D

I think the line goes something like 'the more people I meet, the more I like my dog'. I totally agree.

nikimcbee
02-15-12, 12:35 AM
Exactly, and his judgement was ultimately proven valid by the results. He rescued the dog and came through it unscathed. Hard to argue with success.

It sounds like something from work. "Think out of the box." You're either the hero or the goat. He was the hero this time.

Skybird
02-15-12, 07:58 AM
I request permission to put that in my signature. What a fantastic line. :up:
You must not ask permission from me! The wording may be mine, but the idea certainly is not. ;)