PDA

View Full Version : New Documentary on Arctic Convoys on UKTV

Captain Nemo
02-13-12, 04:12 AM
For those in the UK you might be interested to know that there is a new documentary on the arctic convoys scheduled for Thursday 16 February at 10pm on the Yesterday channel. For more info see http://uktv.co.uk/network/item/aid/649615 .

Nemo

Herr-Berbunch
02-13-12, 04:50 AM
Still set to record :03:

andwii
02-13-12, 07:20 AM
little upset that im not in the UK but what ever. Also im upset that every time we talk WW2 and Germany its the Nazis invading. IT WAS NOT THE NAZIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! Sure there were Nazis apart of it, but most of them were just fighting for their country.

maillemaker
02-13-12, 08:06 AM
most of them were just fighting for their country.

At the risk of making a political thread out of this, I want to point out that while this is true in fact, I have little sympathy for those who allow themselves to get whipped up in nationalistic fervor to be used. Especially when the concept is ancient.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."
--Goering at the Nuremberg Trials"

vanjast
02-13-12, 04:12 PM
I hope you are not Brit or American.... :) :)

Captain Nemo
02-17-12, 07:44 AM
Did anyone watch this last night? Had a few interviews with former RN and merchant sailors that took part in the arctic convoys, but no mention of convoy PQ17. Perhaps that convoy deserves a documentary all to itself.

Nemo

Herr-Berbunch
02-17-12, 08:41 AM
Did anyone watch this last night? Had a few interviews with former RN and merchant sailors that took part in the arctic convoys, but no mention of convoy PQ17. Perhaps that convoy deserves a documentary all to itself.

Nemo

It's recorded, just waiting for a free slot to watch it. :-?

BossMark
02-17-12, 10:20 AM
Bugger missed it, went out on the beer and forgot to sky+ it :wah::wah::wah:

flag4
02-17-12, 10:34 AM
i dont have a telly. is there a way of watching it otherwise?

would love to see it

(...and for those who have seen it, dont tell me what happens at the end..!!)

Herr-Berbunch
02-17-12, 11:39 AM
i dont have a telly. is there a way of watching it otherwise?

would love to see it

I've just checked the Yesterday channel's website, and it's not on in the foreseeable - but it was on twice today :nope:

flag4
02-17-12, 12:59 PM
I've just checked the Yesterday channel's website, and it's not on in the foreseeable - but it was on twice today :nope:

cheers HB:up:

krashkart
02-17-12, 04:48 PM

The war ends. :yep:

Oops...! :doh: Sorry. :D

Jimbuna
02-18-12, 09:47 AM
Well I'm certain we won (at a heavy cost) because my late father was on the Arctic routes.

Fubar2Niner
02-18-12, 10:20 AM
Well I'm certain we won (at a heavy cost) because my late father was on the Arctic routes.

Whoever and from wherever we are, of one thing I'm sure. We all owe him and others like him a great debt of gratitude. :salute::salute::salute: You must be proud Jim.

Respectfully.

Fubar2Niner

Torplexed
02-18-12, 12:02 PM
Always thought this was a shame...

The 20,000 Allied sailors who sailed on the convoys were rarely accorded a warm welcome in Soviet Russia. Suspicion that the western powers might strike a peace deal with Hitler was reinforced by high-level Soviet embarrassment at having to accept capitalist aid, and the British visitors were confined to port on arrival.You risk your life to get the goods through, and are then treated as pariahs by the officialdom of the people you are helping. Happily, the dismissive attitude by Russians to the Arctic Convoys does seem to have changed since the end of the Cold War.

Jimbuna
02-18-12, 03:47 PM
Whoever and from wherever we are, of one thing I'm sure. We all owe him and others like him a great debt of gratitude. :salute::salute::salute: You must be proud Jim.

Respectfully.

Fubar2Niner

Thank you sir...very much appreciated :sunny: