PDA

View Full Version : Do not move to Japan..

Krauter
02-04-12, 12:53 AM
Oh god.. check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKp5cA2sM28&feature=player_embedded

:o @ 1:52

Reece
02-04-12, 01:55 AM
Pretty amazing around March!! was that when the big tsunami hit?:hmmm:

magic452
02-04-12, 01:59 AM
That is totally amazing and I come from California.

Magic

CCIP
02-04-12, 03:40 AM
Too late to tell my brother (he moved to Osaka last month) :dead:

Really fascinating data visualization, though :yeah:

Krauter
02-04-12, 07:46 AM

AFAIK yes. Pretty amazing stuf

Ducimus
02-04-12, 08:10 AM
That is totally amazing and I come from California.

Magic

California hasn't had a good earthquake in years. If it had, fewer people would be moving there, and more people would be moving out.

Now, Japan, sits right on a subduction zone of the pacific plate. It's gonna be rocking and a rollin there all the time. Maybe, it's one reason why their so weird?

Nippelspanner
02-04-12, 11:08 AM

... Seriously? You just asked this?

Jeez... :nope:

Jimbuna
02-04-12, 11:56 AM
Pretty scary...for the people living there especially!!

Reece
02-04-12, 11:00 PM
... Seriously? You just asked this?

Jeez... :nope:
I don't keep up with dates (memorize) on all events around the world!:hmmm:
I should have put "I assume this was when the big tsunami hit?:hmmm:"
I think you over reacted some!! sorry I offended you!:oops:

Type941
02-05-12, 05:38 AM
I don't keep up with dates (memorize) on all events around the world!:hmmm:
I should have put "I assume this was when the big tsunami hit?:hmmm:"
I think you over reacted some!! sorry I offended you!:oops:

I don't think he meant to offend you! May be just puzzled as to how quickly one can forget events of such a global magnitude that happened less than a year ago. I also saw your post and thought "is this serious?". no offense.

Reece
02-05-12, 06:36 AM
I don't think he meant to offend you! May be just puzzled as to how quickly one can forget events of such a global magnitude that happened less than a year ago. I also saw your post and thought "is this serious?". no offense.
I couldn't forget that!! nobody could!!:x I have many video clips of the event, I just couldn't recall if it was March and that it coincided with what the video in post one showed, even Krauter posted:
AFAIK yes. Pretty amazing stuf
showing he wasn't 100% sure either, did anyone have a go at him??:stare:
It's amazing how some people are quick to condemn over something quite trivial, gee, how dare I forget the month of the year it happened!!:nope:
No offense to you!:oops:

Jimbuna
02-05-12, 07:13 AM
Cool heads gentlemen please....I've been known to forget the wifes birthday before and believe you me that is one heck of a disaster too :o

Oberon
02-05-12, 12:44 PM
Cool heads gentlemen please....I've been known to forget the wifes birthday before and believe you me that is one heck of a disaster too :o

A disaster before or after you forget it, Jim? :03:

Oberon
02-05-12, 01:02 PM
There was a chap in Japan not so long ago (And I think it might have been mentioned on here) who said that it was only a matter of time before Tokyo got hit by a big one.
Japan is probably the best country in the world for dealing with earthquakes though, if the March earthquake had not triggered a tsunami there probably would not have been too much of a problem. The combination of the two however just overwhelmed them, and that Tsunami was just obscene. Over forty meters high in some places (133 feet) and stretching up to six miles in land.
What's interesting about that video is that you can see a brief build-up of earthquakes before the big one, the Japanese would have known something was coming in that area but would have had no idea just how big it would be until it happened.

Oberon
02-05-12, 01:04 PM
Here's one for the world over the same time period:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwWn_W6ZbT4&feature=related

magicstix
02-05-12, 01:18 PM
There was a chap in Japan not so long ago (And I think it might have been mentioned on here) who said that it was only a matter of time before Tokyo got hit by a big one.
Japan is probably the best country in the world for dealing with earthquakes though, if the March earthquake had not triggered a tsunami there probably would not have been too much of a problem. The combination of the two however just overwhelmed them, and that Tsunami was just obscene. Over forty meters high in some places (133 feet) and stretching up to six miles in land.
What's interesting about that video is that you can see a brief build-up of earthquakes before the big one, the Japanese would have known something was coming in that area but would have had no idea just how big it would be until it happened.

Tokyo is very much overdue for a mag. 8.0+ quake, as it sits at the joint between 3 plates. Mag 8+ quakes happen roughly every 120 years or so there, and it's been around 150 years since the last one. The Tohoku quake was somewhat unexpected compared to the coming Tokyo quake, which has already been given a name; that's how sure they are of it! The consensus now is that the Tohoku quake has put more strain on the Tokyo faults, and that the chances are 90% they'll see the quake in the next 5 years or so, with near 100% chance in the next 20 years.

Oberon
02-05-12, 01:45 PM
Tokyo is very much overdue for a mag. 8.0+ quake, as it sits at the joint between 3 plates. Mag 8+ quakes happen roughly every 120 years or so there, and it's been around 150 years since the last one. The Tohoku quake was somewhat unexpected compared to the coming Tokyo quake, which has already been given a name; that's how sure they are of it! The consensus now is that the Tohoku quake has put more strain on the Tokyo faults, and that the chances are 90% they'll see the quake in the next 5 years or so, with near 100% chance in the next 20 years.

Yeah, it's been a really bad decade for Japan so far and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better. Ironic, about three years ago they made an anime 'Tokyo 8.0', which is quite good and worth a watch if you like that kinda thing.

Jimbuna
02-05-12, 04:47 PM
A disaster before or after you forget it, Jim? :03:

Always after :DL

Agiel7
02-06-12, 04:01 AM
Called a friend who was living in Berkeley and he talked about how the Bay was virtually guaranteed to have the Big One within 15-30 years. Does he give any thought to the notion of leaving?

Nope. He just makes a point to make sure his rations in his emergency kit aren't past sell-by date when it hits, and so far as additional preparation goes, he bought one of those crank-wheel flashlights/radio.

Lord Justice
02-06-12, 10:24 AM
I confess to have no ambition to move to Japan, nor will I ever be desirous to do so, I now quit this thread. :cool:

Stealhead
02-06-12, 10:52 AM
Earthquakes and tsunamis have been hitting Japan for thousands of years and it never made anyone move away before guess they just deal with them.Besides most every place in the world could get more or less wiped out but some natural disaster or another some places by more than one type.They are also easily the most well prepared country for such events.I say live where you want and enjoy your life why bother worrying about things you have no control over something is going to kill you sooner or later if you avoid Japan because you fear earthquakes you will just wind up getting hit by a bus or bitten by a tunnel spider or get attacked by a swarm of passively killing killer bees.

Take the Midwest for example few people know that some the strongest earthquakes in the US have occurred there not in California and a quake could occur anytime at least California has some preparation the Midwest has basically none.

One of the strongest quakes ever was in Alaska but most people don't know about that either.That is what I love about mother nature she likes to show us humans who is boss from time to time.

http://www.cusec.org/earthquake-information/new-madrid-seismic-zone.html

Herr-Berbunch
02-06-12, 11:06 AM
It's not just the small increase in earthquakes before March, it's that once the big ones hit it appears to be a continuous assault afterwards with only a slight decline in the quantities. :o

Still no excuse to buy used knickers from a vending machine though. :shifty:

Stealhead
02-06-12, 01:24 PM
I thought the Japanese Schoolgirl panties vending machine thing was hooey
but then I had this guy that had been stationed at Yakota AB which is near Tokyo
run to his room and show us some pictures of one such vending machine he was so shocked by it that he took some pictures
to show people when they did not believe such things where real.
I bet some Japanese schoolgirls have gone though college selling panties.