PDA

View Full Version : My Silent Hunter III journey

TDK1044
01-30-12, 12:16 PM
This game has matured very nicely with age. When it was first released, I found it to be very frustrating. Unpatched, I think it's fair to say that it was barely playable out of the box. The four patches came, and the modders worked their asses off. Sadly, one of the best, Dave (LEOVAMPIRE) is no longer with us, but his incredible talent lives on.

For the first year after SH3 was released, I found it difficult to enjoy the game because I was constantly having to uninstall my mods, then add the new patch, and then wait for the modders to make their mods compatible with the new patch.

To be honest, I got fed up with it and bailed on the game. I purchased Silent Hunter 4, but I really missed the U Boat war in the Atlantic. Then 1.5 was added to SH4, and I was happy......ish.

When I first heard that SH5 was being developed, I thought that finally we would get everthing that SH3 should have been. Instead, we got a buggy mess requiring a full time internet connection to play it.

When the DRM was removed from SH5, I debated whether to get that or purchase SH3 again.....the starforce free version.

I decided on SH3. Absolutely the correct decision. I run this game on a Windows 7 laptop with GWX3 Gold and SH3 Commander. I have it modded exactly the way I want it, and I'm enjoying a career that is not being interrupted with new patches.

For a 2005 game, I'm really impressed with how well it holds up. So, thanks to Dan for the very hard work and long hours that he and his team gave to SH3, and to the modders who took it to a new level.

It's now a real pleasure to get the Laptop out and play this game. :)

Jimbuna
01-30-12, 12:47 PM
SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

von Kinderei
01-31-12, 03:49 PM
BE MORE AGGRESSIVE :salute:

flag4
01-31-12, 04:25 PM
AGGRESSIVLEY BE, SINK EM ALL MORE!:woot:

vanjast
02-01-12, 03:24 PM
Can you put the Schnapps down and give me a weather report !!!
:)

Victor Schutze
02-01-12, 04:29 PM
Sh3 best modded game ever! :know: