PDA

View Full Version : Question...

TDK1044
01-30-12, 08:36 AM
So, if you are assigned a 24 hour patrol of a specific grid, but you encounter a large convoy on the way and use all of your torpedoes sinking ships, are you supposed to continue to the grid anyway in order to send contact reports? Or is it Ok to return to Base?

Kapt Z
01-30-12, 08:50 AM
Depends how far away your assigned grid is. If I run out of torps less than four grids away I will continue and patrol my assigned grid as a 'contact and weather boat' for the 24 hrs and then go home. If more than four grids? It's a radio report and home for the weekend boys!

Wuss
01-30-12, 10:26 AM
thanks bud,i was curious about that too,i am in the process of tracking a large taskforce en route to my assigned patrol area :salute:

Jimbuna
01-30-12, 12:49 PM
That's a personal call only the individual can make.

Once I'm out of eels there is little point in continuing and especially in GWX because of the lack of renown for reaching your assigned patrol grid.

I should imagine in RL a U-boat would be more productive returning to base to rearm.

Sailor Steve
01-30-12, 02:48 PM
So, if you are assigned a 24 hour patrol of a specific grid, but you encounter a large convoy on the way and use all of your torpedoes sinking ships, are you supposed to continue to the grid anyway in order to send contact reports? Or is it Ok to return to Base?
Even in the stock game sinking a lot of tonnage will offset the renown lost for not going to your grid or for staying there 24 hours. You can still do it if the renown means anything to you, but that is the only penalty you will suffer if you don't. As Jim said, in GWX that renown is removed anyway.

In real life they weren't ordered to stay for 24 hours, they were ordered to stay until ordered otherwise. Sometimes the entire patrol was spent in one place, and sometimes they saw and sank nothing. I'm sure if a real kaleun attacked a convoy and spent all his torpedoes BdU would have no problem with him coming home again. On the other hand sometimes they were ordered to stay on station and make daily weather reports, something that isn't in the game.

Kapt Z
01-30-12, 03:21 PM
Once I'm out of eels there is little point in continuing and especially in GWX because of the lack of renown for reaching your assigned patrol grid.

True. Unless, of course, you mod back the renown for doing so...:03:

Jimbuna
01-30-12, 03:47 PM
True. Unless, of course, you mod back the renown for doing so...:03:

True...and I can assist you in putting it back in should you need the asistance http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

flag4
01-30-12, 05:18 PM
On the other hand sometimes they were ordered to stay on station and make daily weather reports, something that isn't in the game.

...thats not a bad thing then? :DL

Laufen zum Ziel
01-31-12, 08:25 PM
I continue on and prey on single unarmed merchants with my deck gun. Most of the ships I sink are with the deck gun reserving my torps for juicy targets.

Gargamel
01-31-12, 11:59 PM
I continue on and prey on single unarmed merchants with my deck gun. Most of the ships I sink are with the deck gun reserving my torps for juicy targets.

That only works for a while. Then they start shooting back:o

maillemaker
02-01-12, 01:12 PM
When I run out of torpedoes, I go home. In fact, if you are out of torpedoes and you send in a contact report, under GWX you will get a response that tells you to come home. :)

In stock GWX there is no renown for hitting your patrol grid anyway. I modded this back in as I think you should get some credit for achieving the mission objective no matter what you are able to sink.

It's interesting to note the realistic orders that Sailor Steve talks about. But I would guess that a submarine without torpedoes is a pretty useless weapon and in real life BdU would probably recall any submarine that ran out of torpedoes unless there was some critical intelligence that needed to be acquired by an unarmed u-boat.

Steve

Andrewsdad
02-01-12, 03:42 PM
BDU would probably order you to rendzvous with another boat and transfer fuel and provisions.

Or cruise to a particular station for weather observation and reports for a week or so.

Salute !!!

AD

vanjast
02-02-12, 12:10 AM
I go home for a reload.
:)