PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I'm new and need a question answered.

Moldycheese
01-29-12, 06:46 PM
I was wondering if it matters what depth I set torpedoes in SH5 and if it does what depth should i set them at?:06:

misha1967
01-29-12, 07:11 PM
It does, as it greatly affects the damage the torpedo does.

If you're using impact detonators, you can set it at any depth up to the draft of the ship you're shooting at (how deep the ship goes below the waterline), although you should be careful getting too close to the bottom of the ship as the torpedo might glance off the hull. I'd say about 1-2m above max depth.

If you're using magnetic detonators, on the other hand, you want to set it to about 0.5-1m below below the keel of your target. The idea here is to have it blow up below the ship's keel to "break its back."

Of course, in order to do all of this, you need to know how deep the ship you're shooting at "sticks into the water." Fortunately, that info can be found in your Ship Recognition Manual, but you need to ID the ship correctly first.

So, example: If my target has a depth below the waterline of 6 meter, I would set impact torpedoes to run 4-5m below the water, and if I were using magnetic detonators, I'd set it about 6.5-7m below the water.

And that's not even beginning to talk about the torpedoes not always running at the exact depth you set, not to mention dud torpedoes. So don't go too crazy if the eel you just set up perfectly according to the book still manages to run to deep or fails to detonate. It's all part of the fun of being a Kaleun. :03:

kamiback
01-29-12, 08:09 PM
Hi, Im new in this game and im wondering which is the best spot to hit a ship with the canon?

misha1967
01-29-12, 09:19 PM
Hi, Im new in this game and im wondering which is the best spot to hit a ship with the canon?

Using AP, right below the waterline. Using HE, anywhere in the superstructure to create fires and explosions.

Moldycheese
01-30-12, 11:20 AM
@misha1967

Thank you, that really helps me out. I've been stumped for awhile.

Where do I find the Ship Recognition Manual in the game? Or is it separate? I have a downloaded version.