PDA

View Full Version : Where has my career gone?

NIGHTFIGHTER
01-27-12, 03:31 PM
Hi guys, been some time since ive been on the board so if this has been covered please forgive me. Im running GWX.3 and very happy with it, so happy ive only been doing single missons until now. I had a go at doing a career, naming my self and away we went...Great patrol 3 sunk and then the dreaded call from the missus, so did a save and exit (as per the old SHIII) went and did the weekly shop, came back to the game went to career and to my great shock no me in the career...Even though as i closed down the game before going shopping the game had confirmed the save. Can anyone explain where things have gone so wrong. I was on the surface as per advised and just crusing towards home...Mystery..Thanks Gary

danasan
01-27-12, 03:42 PM
First of all, have a look at the files involved. Should be - depending on the OS - something like C:\Users\MyName\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\MyName

search for the newest files inside that folder, if they are there, there is a good chance...

Pisces
01-28-12, 07:37 AM
There is indeed a funny bug that makes you career disappear from the savegame list. I don't think the cause of it has been found. If the files are really there in the folder path given by Danasan (in XP it would be c:\Documents and Settings\_username_\...), then you can get it back by renaming the folder carrying the Commander's name. Make sure the game is shut down when renaming it. When the game is started again the savegame list should return. But you'll have to live with the changed Commander's name for a while.

NIGHTFIGHTER
01-30-12, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys, at first I could not find SH3 under doc's and settings (my name) but did find it under all users. Now i have found their is a career folder but the name inside of it is just player. I have since renamed that folder as per the captains name (me) and will have to try a career misson ( when i get a chance) and see if it saves to that folder...God willing, again folk thanks for the help..Gary

TDK1044
01-30-12, 01:20 PM
All of my career games saves are fine. I tend to save about three or four times during each mission, in case of a power outage or whatever. Anyone know if the game has a limit of number of saves allowed in a career?

flag4
01-30-12, 02:27 PM
...highest ive got is about 12-13 saves in one patrol. never had a problem like N/FIGHTER.

...so watch this space.....

NIGHTFIGHTER
02-08-12, 12:12 PM
O.K Guys after a complete cock-up, I ended up doing complete re-installs about 5 times, then realised i hadn't patched the basic game in the first place...but got it to the standard required...Then download a fresh copy of GWX from JIMBUNAL's web site as there are those who say the fileshare GW is incomplete....Everything is back to how we were before i descovered my career wasn't saving. The game runs fine, Ive had a look in the game itself and found no career folder in the cfg folder. Bearing in mind I use XP I had a look in setting and documents and cannot find the game there at all. The only place my game is installed is in Programmes..Since the complete re-build ive tried another Career misson and yes it confirms the save and yet when you return to the misson the player list is empty of any saved missons....This really is a mystery...Gary

Pisces
02-08-12, 04:07 PM
... The game runs fine, Ive had a look in the game itself and found no career folder in the cfg folder. Bearing in mind I use XP I had a look in setting and documents and cannot find the game there at all. ...Did you check your My Documents folder for the folder named SH3? That contains the said cfg folder with your savegames at some deeper level. (In XP your "My Documents" folder should be stored in that "Document and Settings" folder, but it might be difficult to find for you.) The savegames will not be in the install folder of SH3.

( My example:

My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\Otto Schuhart\0

= Patrol 0 folder for Kaleun Otto Schuhart

NIGHTFIGHTER
02-10-12, 10:58 AM
Bingo! thats what i mean. My XP os has it like this, under doc's and setting there are 4 users me, the wife, the son and new user. nowhere within these can i find SH3, I even did a search of Doc's and Settings with no trace of the game. The only place i can find SH3 is...My computer/Local Disk (c)/Program Files/Ubisoft/SH3/Data/Cfg/.....Then there is no careers folder:hmmm: I think the game is in the Ubisoft folder because I have IL-2 also and it may be an automatic thing.

Sailor Steve
02-10-12, 01:52 PM
It is an automatic thing, and it does all go in the Ubisoft folder, at least with XP. The game creates a folder in My Documents labelled SH3. It should be there somewhere, with the savegame files.

NIGHTFIGHTER
02-10-12, 04:40 PM
Hi Steve, Thanks for the help, Ive just done another complete install from virgin DVD SHIII,plus all 4 patches, and GWX..There is no SH3 in doc & settings. But in Programs I have things in this order Prog/Ubisoft/SHIII/Data/Menu/Data/ Career TGA Files : Career tga file 00
career tga 02 and load career 2 tga.
This is all very strange.

Fubar2Niner
02-10-12, 04:51 PM
Hi Steve, Thanks for the help, Ive just done another complete install from virgin DVD SHIII,plus all 4 patches, and GWX..There is no SH3 in doc & settings. But in Programs I have things in this order Prog/Ubisoft/SHIII/Data/Menu/Data/ Career TGA Files : Career tga file 00
career tga 02 and load career 2 tga.
This is all very strange.

Hi nightfighter,

It's been a long time since I ran xp so forgive me if you checked this already. Have you looked outside your my docs dir? Try, and I'm sure not if it exists this way in XP, rusty memory. C:/Documents, note not My Documents

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

NIGHTFIGHTER
02-11-12, 04:06 PM
Hi Fubar, Yep you are right but it is Doc's and settings, and if I do a search of that folder, there is no trace of SH3. The only place it can be found on my computer is in programs under Ubisoft and within the game there is no "Career" folder. I have just tried the new Virgin install, went into Career mode done away with player and created a new captain's name and started the mission, sailed all the way to the west african coast, sank two targets made 3 saves on the way that were O.K.ed by the game, then had to go for tea Saved and exit patrol which again was O.K.ed and shut down. After tea i re-entered the game to find my misson gone and the Captain's name was once again "Player"

Fubar2Niner
02-12-12, 10:34 AM
Hi Fubar, Yep you are right but it is Doc's and settings, and if I do a search of that folder, there is no trace of SH3. The only place it can be found on my computer is in programs under Ubisoft and within the game there is no "Career" folder. I have just tried the new Virgin install, went into Career mode done away with player and created a new captain's name and started the mission, sailed all the way to the west african coast, sank two targets made 3 saves on the way that were O.K.ed by the game, then had to go for tea Saved and exit patrol which again was O.K.ed and shut down. After tea i re-entered the game to find my misson gone and the Captain's name was once again "Player"

Hi mate.

Sorry it didn't work out. As a last ditch attempt try this. Uninstall SH3; GWX et al. Clean your reg and your my docs dir (for SH3 entries only!). Install SH3 and patch to 1.4 (if necessary) Now try run a campaign, make a save. Search where that save is, it must be somewhere. If the bugger works........ then try install GWX, just a thought, are you sure your GWX download is good. I know some people have reported probs. Trouble is I can't remember from which download site. I'm 100% from my account it's good, also from Jimbuna. Never had to DL from others so I can't vouch for them. If all else fails, you might try a pm to Jimbuna :yep:

Sorry I can't be of more help shipmate :oops: Stick with it, we'll get you sorted. These guys are the best :rock:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

NIGHTFIGHTER
02-13-12, 11:31 AM
This really is crazy, did as you said Fubar, wiped everything reinstalled SHIII and nothing else, no MODs no GW, run the game fine! did a career made 8 saves all were O.K.ed even minimised the screen after a save and ran a search on first my C.drive then documents then My Computer all with the same resault No documents found for career or my U-boats captains name. I even came out of career mode did a single misson, went back into career found my captain was there and carried on. But as soon as i left the game...Did a bit of flight simming ( I know, swearing like that :D) went back into the game to career and my career was no longer there just Player. I like you did think about it being a GW download problem so i got Jimbunal's, but if im running the very basic game and it's still giving me the same problem then it cant be that...Ho-Hum...Gary

Jimbuna
03-03-12, 05:34 PM
*public response to your pm*

In what folder is the Player save?

If you don't know use the computer search facility to identify said folder and your career saves will be there.

If they are, add a letter 'x' to your career save and it will reappear when you go to said area on game loading....you can safely delete the 'x' later if you so wish.

I have experience the phenomena you are describing on the odd occasion in the past and whilst using the OS XP Pro but the careers by default always go to C\MyDocs\SH3

NIGHTFIGHTER
03-07-12, 02:55 PM
Hi Jimbuna, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you (family problems) I have done a complete search of SHIII, my doc's, and the c:drive and have come up with no Player saves. Which i find really wierd as like i say if i do several saves during a misson and like the other day im blown out of the water, it will allow me to go back to a previous save, but if i come out of the game totally and then return all saves have gone and the captains name is replaced by player.....Strange, The other stange thing i find is other folks who have tried to help me keep saying about a copy of SHIII should be found in Docs & Settings this to i dont have. SHIII is only to be found under C/Programmes Ubisoft SHIII.

Jimbuna
03-07-12, 06:18 PM
Unless you can identify the folder the 'Player' saves are in I doubt you'll find a resolution :hmmm:

NIGHTFIGHTER
04-03-12, 03:13 PM
O.k folks sorry to bump this up again, let me ask you this, lets surpose (as in this case) you have done a complete search of your computer and you can find no career folder at all. Is there a way of creating one? or is it really a case of being sunk without trace:damn:

Boompus
04-04-12, 05:59 AM
Hello...

Is there perhaps another PC available where you can install SH3 and you as only user?
I know that weird things can happen when several users use the same PC.
I worked for a large company where there were always problems with that.
'All users' is the profiledir where every user of the PC has acces to.

It should be working though....

NIGHTFIGHTER
04-05-12, 01:15 PM
Thanks Boompus, il give it a try on my laptop and see what happens. Seems really strange, did a complete search of my C-drive and nothing and it is so frustrating doing career missons and not being able to go back into them, but il give your idea a try...Thanks mate

Boompus
04-05-12, 01:55 PM
Thanks Boompus, il give it a try on my laptop and see what happens. Seems really strange, did a complete search of my C-drive and nothing and it is so frustrating doing career missons and not being able to go back into them, but il give your idea a try...Thanks mate
OK.. good luck :up:

And by the way... if you can't locate a file or folder where it's should be.. activate Show hidden files and folders in > Tools - Folder options - Tab: View
(XP) If they don't appear.. then you're sure they are not there :hmmm:

NIGHTFIGHTER
04-06-12, 12:56 PM
O.K gave up on the idea of putting it on the lap-top (it runs windows 7) and tried completely removing SHIII and GWX from my computer and did a virgin install. Game installed fine into C drive/ programmes, then went on the hunt for SH3 in my doc's in Prog/Docs and no folder (SH3) has been created, strange or what?

Boompus
04-06-12, 01:56 PM
O.K gave up on the idea of putting it on the lap-top (it runs windows 7) and tried completely removing SHIII and GWX from my computer and did a virgin install. Game installed fine into C drive/ programmes, then went on the hunt for SH3 in my doc's in Prog/Docs and no folder (SH3) has been created, strange or what?
Very strange indeed... did you create a new profile in SH3 (kaleun Nightfighter or something like that) ?

NIGHTFIGHTER
04-07-12, 01:12 PM
Yep Boompus, Otto, Installed the game gave myself the new career name did a misson and made 4 saves and even while the game was in play did a complete search of my hard drive (c) including the hidden files and could not trace the career folder or files. Which is strange because, with the new reproduced game comes a PDF file which tells you where to find the career folder and as you kind folk have already said, it should be under C/docs and settings/gary/data...But it isn't, god only knows why but it seems that this vital information is not being installed on my computer.

NIGHTFIGHTER
04-09-12, 03:28 PM
Well they say where there's a will there's a way. All i did in the end was install the game onto a laptop (window's 7 which is a bigger pain than XP) ran a career misson, found where it was saved then copied it over to my computer. But the interesting thing is if i do as the folks on here say and put it into Doc's and Settings/ my name It wont work , but if i install it into "My Documents" it works a dream. Look i know ive been a pain with this, but thanks to everyone who has offered help, and a very special thanks to Galaxian Five who had got to the point of coming over to mine to give my computer a good kicking....Many thanks guys...Gary...Now back to playing:yeah:

Fubar2Niner
04-11-12, 12:26 PM
Well they say where there's a will there's a way. All i did in the end was install the game onto a laptop (window's 7 which is a bigger pain than XP) ran a career misson, found where it was saved then copied it over to my computer. But the interesting thing is if i do as the folks on here say and put it into Doc's and Settings/ my name It wont work , but if i install it into "My Documents" it works a dream. Look i know ive been a pain with this, but thanks to everyone who has offered help, and a very special thanks to Galaxian Five who had got to the point of coming over to mine to give my computer a good kicking....Many thanks guys...Gary...Now back to playing:yeah:

Great news Kaleun, glad you have it sorted at last. Now go rack up some tonnage :salute:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner