PDA

View Full Version : Dunkerque madness (GWX)

Raticon
01-25-12, 04:08 PM
Hello all!

I recently watched the uncut version of Das Boot and my SH- addiction came alive again, Naturally i am using GWX 3.0 with SH3. I tend to call myself a veteran player as i have owned and played this game and SH2 and SH5 for a long time but SH3 with GWX just simply knocks all other sims down totally!

Here's the deal: End of may 1940, i am using the Type II-D submarine (I actually sank the HMS Royal Oak with it in the channel during patrol 7!!, tha'ts another story.) as i started in 1st Flotilla in 1939 and wanted to earn my VII, not just get it for free... I recieve a message during patrol 12 when i am patrolling the british coast, a rather dull and eventless patrol otherwise... "A lot of ships is seen around Dunkerque" it says and i'm steaming there at full speed, arriving in the middle of a sunny afternoon with moderate waves i spot a few troop transports and a red cross hospital ship (which i spare for moral reasons). As i launch my 3 torps at the first wave, A Fiji-class light cruiser and 2 troop transports. The first 2 torps hit the transports right in the kisser and they sink slowly with the fore down, steaming ahead like crazy just plunging themselves deeper into the water. I completely miss the Fiji who - minutes later - goes up like fireworks even though i missed it completely... :doh:

"Never mind, ran into a mine or something" i thinks when sneaking out of there... just noticing it counted as MY kill on the map (red symbol) even though i saw myself missing it like crazy! Same thing happens when next wave appears, another cruiser with 2 destroyers guarding a Ceramic-steamer, As i use my last 2 torps, reloaded in a dash of non-silent running to engage them, against the Ceramic steamer i watch with my external cam how some fat artillery-bunkers on the shore, occupied by germans, shell the cruiser and one destroyer to oblivion and beyond!!! WHAT THE...!?!?

My torpedoes kills the ceramic really quickly, but i completely miss that fact as i catch myself staring at the map... That cruiser and that destroyer somehow counted as MY kills, even though i never even took a shot at them but that german artillery platform at the shore sure did!! My II-D doesn't even have a deck gun i could have foolishly used against them ships. I took a screenshot but somehow it didn't save, so i only have my story to tell about it and i hope someone here have experienced similar things. I know they counted as my kills as when the artilley shells them to smithereens my crew yells that we got here (the line from Das Boot) and i get the message in the log that "She is going down) even though i not aimed at those ships, and those i fired upon was long dead and/or dying meanwhile.

My theories are two:

1. Game-related bug?
The game counts those ships as killed by me as i had torps in the water heading toward their general direction but not directly at them but the Ceramic, and a killed ship in proximity to torpedoes in the water automatically turns out to be killed by the torpedoes owner rather than counts as killed by artillery.

2. Historically accurate assumption theory?
The war-logs after the Dunkerque-incident tells that a sub was in the nearby waters (me), firing torpedoes at ships at the same time engaged by German artilley-forces at the coast. As a ship sunk by a submarine has greater propaganda value than one sunk by huge gun-emplacements at the shore the Oberkommando chose to give ME credits for those big, evil and dangerous ships.

Regardless, i got some really nice tonnage, almost 50k by "single-handedly" sinking like 8 ships with the use of 5 torps (!!!). There was gray sunk ships in the area too, with the artilley claiming the kills... I also suffer frequent CTD's in the area despite having 6 gigs of ram, a reload usually helps, and frequent saving. But now i'm just rambling, CTD's are another story, to the point then:

Have anyone of you encountered this situation when Coastal artillery, German airplanes or other axis forces kills enemy ships and youget the trophy for making the kill? :ping: