PDA

View Full Version : My patrol Diary.. :)

vanjast
01-25-12, 07:49 AM
Thought I'd do this on my return to action... so hear we go.
Hope you enjoy it..

31Aug1939 - Arrival

17:30
Arrived at Kiel for my new assignment. It has been at least 5 years since I left the Atlantic war. It’s funny how nations never get tired of fighting each other.

The bus dropped me off at dockside security. The guards here were somewhat bemused on seeing and ‘old’ man reporting for duty, none-the-less they were courteous.
I found my way to the quayside through a lot of feverous activity. Everyone looked in good spirits – I wonder how long that would last, I thought. I asked for the Kriegsmarine offices and was duly directed.

The offices were a small collection of huts behind this ominous monstrous black/grey submarine pen. If the allies ever manage to penetrate that thing I would be surprised, Onkel Karl certainly knows his business. Another security check and I was into the Kriegsmarine compound. I was very excited and wanted to go straight to my boat (that’s if I knew where it was), but you know the military dogma…. Hurry up and Wait!! Hells it would be great to be at sea again instead of pushing pens and papers.

I walked through the door and an orderly ‘jack-rabbited’ to his feet with an arm-stretched salute. This gave me such a fright that I retorted “If you ever do that to me again, you’ll lose your arm, now relax!!”, and returned a normal naval salute.
“Jawohl Kaleun”, he said and sat down, a bit bewildered.
“May I see your papers, Kaleun “, so I gave them to him. He was on the phone and a few minutes later a young OberLeutnant walked in.

“Greetings Kaleun, I’m Oberleutnant Ernst Baur, are you here for U48 ?”.. With a somewhat doubtful look on his face
“Hello leutnant that is correct, I hope all is ready”
“Alles goed Kaleun… errr, we were expecting a Kaptein Lutzow ..”
“Apparently Admiral Donitz has changed his mind… shall we ?”

The orderly pick up my bags and we walked to the pens. “Herr Kaleun, we sail tonight at 00:00, shall I prepare the crew for your boarding ?”.
“I am aware of that.. And no, it’s not necessary, we’ll have plenty of time to acquaint ourselves.”

And there she was…Dark, silent and sinister in the dimmed lights of the pen, floating gently on the glassy surface. We walked around to the gangplank, and a few crews sprang to attention.. “Relax gentlemen, continue ..” and Baur started to climb the conn.

“Orderly can you drop my bags in my cabin please… Herr Baur, let’s go down the rear hatch “. The hatch was opened and a surprised crewman look up, walking through the aft torpedo room to the forward torpedo room it felt like only yesterday.
Submarines do not change that much over a few years

“Herr Baur, can prepare the crew and boat for sailing at 11:00 please.. I’m going to retire to my cabin.”
“Jawohl, Herr Kaleun”.. And off I went to write this first entry of my diary and look at this envelope containing my orders.

11:00:
There’s a knock on my cabin door and Baur is standing there..
“Herr Kaleun.. may I speak to you”
“Yes of course.. sit down, what is it?”

“Well Herr Kaleun to be blunt, as you know we were expecting Kaptein Lutzow who is one of the top submariners we have, and the crew are expressing concerns with the change of appointment. I’m not questioning your abilities, Herr Kaleun, but times have changed since you were last at sea… the modifications we have, the enemy tactics are more treacherous… “

“I thank you for being blunt Herr OberLeutnant, but Admiral Donitz doesn’t seem to share the crews view, and I trust you will inform the crew of this fact. Sometimes we must put a little faith in the unknown… anything else ?”

“No sir!, I’ll see that the crew are informed”
“Thank you.. Baur, let’s prepare for sailing”

And there it was, what a way to start a first patrol!!

vanjast
01-25-12, 07:52 AM
1Sept1939 – Patrol 1 – Day 1

00:00

An hour of preparation and we’re ready to go.
“Ahead 1 knot, 5 degrees port rudder”.. and U48 slid out from the submarine pens.
A few people on the quayside waved as we passed by, some shouting well wishes. We waved back in silence.

“1/3 ahead, rudder amidships, Herr Baur can you keep up with the pilot ship please”, and the pilot ship led us pass the minefields and into the Kiel Bay.

01:00 (Nav Point)
Course 70 at 7 knots – Next waypoint at 06:30

06:01 – BDU Message
Germany has invaded Poland. So we have begun, once again.
Make announcement to the crew, who’re not all together surprised by this event. Rumors have been doing the rounds for months.

06:30 (Nav Point)
Course 33 at 7 knots – Next waypoint at 12:20
Uneventful – The islands trees are showing their Autumn colours.

12:20 (Nav Point)
Course 330 at 7 knots – Next waypoint at 18:30

15:30
Ship sighted at bearing 204. No orders – carry on as usual.
I do not expect any Polish ships in the area so soon, but observed the ship anyway.
I had thought of ignoring it, but this was an opportunity to shake up the crew.

“Course 30, periscope depth, up periscope.. dive dive dive”
“Navigator – note times, course and speeds – Jawohl Kaleun”
“Sonar man, give me an approximate speed – Slow revs about 5 knots”
“Range approx 6Nms, AOB is 30 port, Bearing 70, Helmsman bring her around to 40 degrees, down periscope”

“Torpedo 1,2,3 and 4 - depth 7m, fast speed, impact detonator”
“Cannot set impact detonator, Kaleun”
“What..!! try again”
“Nein ! it does not work Kaleun”
“Scheizzens… What has happened since I’ve been away.. OK! we wait for a positive ID for a depth setting”.
“WO can you see me in my cabin, please”

The WO informed me that the weapon systems were check a few times before we left – the maintenance books confirm this. Maybe it’s the torpedoes. This is disappointing sending us to sea with ‘rubber’ weapons. This event alone has dealt a severe blow to morale which I hoped would improve.
We did a torpedo and surface gun practice run that went very well, I think the Norwegian captain was about to jump ship, so we gave him a friendly wave and continued on our course – delayed by 1 hour.

Baur was concerned “ Shouldn’t we turn back to have this corrected herr Kaleun”.

“No Baur.. we can still use magnetics, but we must be more careful – Make a note to Herr Steibler at Kriegsmarine Modifications when we return”

19:30 (Nav Point)
Course 25 at 7 knots – Next waypoint at 07:30 (2Sept1939)
Uneventful

too be continued.....

ETsd4
01-25-12, 04:40 PM
Good read. Hope for some references on topic "celestial navigation" ;)

vanjast
01-25-12, 05:11 PM
Hope for some references on topic "celestial navigation" ;)
Donitz requires some accurate info in this regard, which is the main reason why I replaced Lutzow ;) . To assess the accuracy of Hires Celestial Navigation as there has been a problem with regard to gathering wolfpacks.
Top Secret .. you know!!