PDA

View Full Version : hello and a newbie question

juhmohng
01-18-12, 09:32 AM
like to say hello to everyone here on the forum and your community in general, id like to ask a newbie question re modding....im new to the modding scene, but would like to add a few mods to sh3,...when you start your mod collection do you generally keep to the same author or group of mods, to minimise conflicts or just pick and mix and sort the tangles out later.....the bigger size mods are out of reach for me due to file size, so im only looking at the smaller size mods.....with such an awesome collection of mods to choose from it would be nice to start in the right direction...any tips would be welcome......great site, love the posts,......juhmohng....

Red Heat
01-18-12, 09:37 AM
Hello

And welcome aboard...modding its not my beech but im sure someone it will answer to your question son and show you the right direction, mate...just hang on! :D

Tom
01-18-12, 09:56 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

The way I look at mods is this: the game, out of box, is flawed in many areas. Different authors have written mods/additions/changes to address those issues. For any single flaw, there are several, often quite different fixes available.

There are several supermods, such as GWX and NYGM that radically change the way the game works. They change graphics, add new items to the game, but most importantly fix many of the problems with the campaign and AI.

My suggestion, and what I believe most players have done, is to choose and install one of these supermods first. The reason for this is, that your choice of supermod might limit the other available mods, although currently most mods work with the major supermods. Also, some of the changes in the supermods already cover aspects you would otherwise like to change with a mod.

After that, you should look at the things you dislike, or think could work better or look nicer. If you like eyecandy and your machine is up to it, look at the various environment mods, new skins and interiors, and so on. If you'd like to try more realistic targeting methods, there are GUI mods that add tools to support this. And so on.

The scope of available mods is huge, from adding tens of new units to the game to minor fixes that, for example, remove the annoying 'new message' sound every time you get a radio message.

Finally, there are two tools I definitely must include here, and which you should seriously consider using:

- JSGME, for installing mods. This is the only good way to install them. Manual installation will cause you lots of problems.
- SH3 Commander, for a realistic career experience, date based changes, and so on.

Laufen zum Ziel
01-18-12, 12:41 PM
Well stated Tom.

My three must haves are.

GWX
SHIII Commander
JSGM mod installer

With the mod installer you can install mods and if they dont work or you change your mind you can deactivate or delete the mod.

Welcome aboard :yeah:

Sailor Steve
01-18-12, 01:05 PM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

...when you start your mod collection do you generally keep to the same author or group of mods, to minimise conflicts or just pick and mix and sort the tangles out later...
I use a variety from a large number of authors, because so many of them are so good. JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) lets you add mods easily, warns you of possible conflicts and lets you remove ones you don't like.

...the bigger size mods are out of reach for me due to file size, so im only looking at the smaller size mods...
That's too bad, because as mentioned a supermod is the best place to start because they also fix most of the problems inherent in the stock game, but the best of them run to several gigabytes in size. I doubt you'll find many people here who don't use one.

flag4
01-18-12, 01:31 PM
quote: '.....the bigger size mods are out of reach for me due to file size,'

...why is this?

can you not download GWX in sections for example instead of the whole thing at once?

andwii
01-18-12, 03:50 PM
ya deffently GWX, then SH3 Commander. Other things i have on mine is open hatches, a lot of the das boot stuff, life boats, and I used to have all weather fireing of deckgun but for some reason it won't work any more. I will have to redownload or summin. I tried to install a periscope mod to put the TDC in the periscope view and couldnt get that to work, any one use that mod and can help me out? Anyway I digress these mods are ones I would recommend über alles.

juhmohng
01-18-12, 11:14 PM
thanks for your tips and leads,...reading through your replies and the forum in general it seems jsgme, and commander are a favourite amongst you all, so i think i will follow toms advice and start with his choice of mods to start with......thanks again for the tips, and toms reply which has given me a good insight into modding in general,...i will post further as i progress........good hunting everyone....juhmohng

Magic1111
01-19-12, 04:40 AM
thanks for your tips and leads,...reading through your replies and the forum in general it seems jsgme, and commander are a favourite amongst you all, so i think i will follow toms advice and start with his choice of mods to start with......thanks again for the tips, and toms reply which has given me a good insight into modding in general,...i will post further as i progress........good hunting everyone....juhmohng

:salute::salute::salute:Welcome aboard!!!:salute::salute::salute: