PDA

View Full Version : Multi Instal ?

Chisum
01-16-12, 05:00 PM
Hi mates !
:salute:

Is it possible to play SH3 with multi Installation ?

For exemple in Program files/Ubisoft, a folder named "Silent HunterIII" at work and another named "SilentHunterIII_Original" switchable.
Of course with a double "SH3" folders in MyDocuments.

Possible ?

Sailor Steve
01-16-12, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry to be rude, but I find it hard to believe you've been here almost five years and have never heard of MultiSH3.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1869

There have been many threads on this.

Chisum
01-16-12, 06:54 PM
As incredible as it seems, it's true: this is the first time I hear that.
But hey, I do not sleep on the forum either.
All my thanks Sailor Steve.

:salute:

Sailor Steve
01-16-12, 06:59 PM
But hey, I do not sleep on the forum either.
All my thanks Sailor Steve.
Well, you've got me there. :oops:

It's actually possible to do it without that tool, but it makes it much easier.

Chisum
01-16-12, 07:06 PM
I gonna try it.

Thanks again.

:up:

maillemaker
01-17-12, 12:57 PM
Cool, I had not heard of this tool, either!

Steve

Dbledip
01-17-12, 04:51 PM
I just ordered II, III, IV, & V off of your site. I will try this when SHIII comes in. I am having some issues with my steam version. :up:

irish1958
01-17-12, 07:41 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood your comments but the program does not connect the various installs of the different silent hunters.
What it does is allow you to have two or more installs of SH3 (if you use multiSH4, SH4) active at the same time.
As far as I know there are no such programs for SH2 or SH5.

Raptor
01-17-12, 08:51 PM
" double "SH3" folders in MyDocuments"

You don't want that. Multi-SH3 allows you to create a separate folder in My Documents for every install of SH3 on your system. You must give each of these new folders a different name that you will automatically associate with whichever copy of SH3 you are running at the moment.

Here's how you do multiple installs: - assumes you only have the one original SH3 install at this point AND that you've run the program at least once to establish the SH3 directory in My Documents.

1) Using the Uninstall program on the SH3 CD, remove the existing copy of SH3 from your system.

2) Manually delete the SH3 directory and all its contents in My Documents

3) run a registry cleaner like CCleaner.

4) using the SH3 CD, do a clean install of SH3 into c:/Program Files(x86)

DO NOT RUN SH3

5) Create a new directory on your c: drive - call it /Games

6) Within /Games, create as many new sub-directories as you want installs of SH3, plus a spare ('cause bad stuff happens). Name them whatever you want. I call mine SH3+GWX, SH3, and SH3 Virgin 1, SH3 Virgin 2, etc. The Virgin directories are spares 'cause $hit happens and I don't want to have to rip everything out to start over.

6) Into EACH of these new sub-directories, copy the root directory "Silent Hunter III" from c:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft. Do not rename these new root directory copies.

7) If you are going to use GWX, run the GWX.exe and install GWX into one or more of the new root directories created in (6). DO NOT RUN

8) Copy MultiSH3.exe into all of those new root directories.

9) For each install of SH3 that you plan to actually use, RUN MultiSH3.exe from within that root directory to create the appropriately named sub-directory in My Documents. Each must have a different name. For example, my sub-directory for my copy of SH3 with GWX is named "GWX". My stock vanila copy of SH3 is named "SH3", which also happens to be the default.

10) You can use JSGME to install any desired mods onto GWX anytime, but I prefer to run my 1st career mission in my SH3 with GWX program before I do that, just to be sure my install works ok before I start modding it. I can always delete that career later. YMMV.

11) Copy the SH3.exe icon from each new install to your desktop, renaming each as soon as they're copied. You want to know which copy of SH3 you're starting up.

Good hunting.

:rock:

Kpt. Weyprecht
04-18-12, 01:17 PM
I know it is an old thread, but is it possible to create a new copy of SHIII without uninstalling the old one? the procedure you give (or the readme file gives) supposes that I am creating my multiple installs from scratch at the same time. At now, I have an install, already modded to GWX (I can rollback JSGME mods byt not that) and only later I started thinking of trying NYGM. Looks like I'd have to delete my already existing GWX install which has some problems but also a collection of mods and then multi-install from scratch? If I simply renamed the existing folder in My Documents with MultiInstall and ther ran SH3 Installer to create the new copy on my D:\ directory (or elsewhere), would this break everything?

Sailor Steve
04-18-12, 04:07 PM
No. The new copy would be a duplicate of the one you already have, complete with GWX and whatever other mods you have installed. MultiSH3 makes it possible to have multiple installs of stock unmodded SH3, from which you can then add mods to each one while keeping a pristine stock version, but you have to start with an unmodded version.

Kpt. Weyprecht
04-26-12, 02:48 PM
All right, I followed the standard procedure... Hope this way I'd avoid another reinstalls for some time. Just one another question: I created three installs, one unmodified stock vanilla in the default location, then two other ones, in C:\U_sim\, one for GWX and one for GWX. I'd like to use SH3 Commander with both. So I installed a copy of the Cmdr both in my \U_sim\GWX and \U_sim\NYGM_Tonnage_War, so that I can apply config files for the supermods, each copy with it's own shortcut on my desktop. But the "1:" switch in the shortcut's target, which I inserted as indicated in the MultiSH3 ReadMe doesn't seem to work, I keep getting a prompt to run SH3 at least once to create the \Documents\SH3 directory.
I tried inserting the path to my NTW (for NYGM) or GWX directories instead of the game location but there is no change. How can I make my SH3Cmdr find the right folder in \Documents?