PDA

View Full Version : Question

MaxStierlitz
01-15-12, 05:46 AM
Why the main turrets on battleship or crusers are not changeable lika AA guns?I mean switch for left gun,or right gun, and the main turrets i can operate only with one turret.Not other on the same ship?Or if i´m aiming with one turret,it´s will be better if all rurrets aiming like me,hm?

Sailor Steve
01-15-12, 11:41 AM
Well, properly speaking no, if you are in one turret you should only be able to control that turret. That said, there should be a dedicated fire-control position (AKA gun director) with radar control and a very good rangefinder that controls all the guns together. On the other hand the captain of a surface ship never fires the guns himself, or does anything else. The bridge is the only position you should need to run the ship.

No one has actually made a playable surface ship that works like a real ship, with the exception of the old game Destroyer Command.

TorpX
01-15-12, 09:38 PM
Why the main turrets on battleship or crusers are not changeable lika AA guns?I mean switch for left gun,or right gun, and the main turrets i can operate only with one turret.Not other on the same ship?Or if i´m aiming with one turret,it´s will be better if all rurrets aiming like me,hm?

You have to remember the SH series were designed as submarine games. Without being able to change the source code, it is unlikely that anyone can ever make them into a worthwhile surface ship combat game. Modders have to improvise (or do without), gun directors, working torpedo tubes, an appropriate damage model, a logical campaign where fleets contend with each other, etc., etc.