PDA

View Full Version : [RoF] The Clowns of the Skies

Dowly
01-14-12, 03:59 PM
Well, this thread would be primarily for those who are interested in flying Rise
of Flight online.

The aim would be to first start with just a 'for fun' deathmatch server with everyone
getting to know the basics, engine warm up, mixtures etc.

From there, we could go on to normal deathmatch or coop (Pat Wilson's CG can generate coop missions AFAIK) and go with the IL2 route of flying once a week or so.

Of course, RoF has a mission editor, so custom missions would be an option too.

Anywho, if you're interested, drop a line and let's see where it goes.

(and remember the current sales on RoF (jan 12-17), get yer planes now! :D)

///////////[UPDATED 22/02/12]///////////

- Flights on Wednesdays at 21.00 GMT, gather to Arclight's Teamspeak 2 server
- Realism settings are all on, except for simple dials and subtitles
- Server is MODS ON, so tick the 'Modifications on' box from the RoF Launcher->Game Settings
- To see other players' custom skins (if you have downloaded them), make sure the 'Show custom paint schemes in multiplayer' box is ticked in Options->General

Custom Skins

Skins are installed to: Rise of Flight/Data/Graphics/Skins/[Aircraft Folder]/

Dowly's Albatros D.Va:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d62c6s5jafv6xp7

Raptor1's Albatros D.Va:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6qv7pe3801fk2kj

Oberon
01-14-12, 04:22 PM
Sounds good to me. I really must learn how to fly my Sopwith Pup properly. It's supposed to be one of the easiest RFC aircraft but she snap-stalls something rotten.

Dowly
01-14-12, 04:24 PM
Can't say I've flown but few minutes in the allied planes, but Requiem's channel might help:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS

:salute:

Arclight
01-14-12, 04:51 PM
Definitely up for it. Got the ICE package, only really know how to fly the Albatros properly though... Apart from the Spads the Alied planes are stall-buckets (in my hands), haven't tried the other German planes much yet. :hmmm:

Dowly
01-14-12, 05:06 PM
Aye, Albie D.Va is still my favorite. Bougth the Fokker D.VII/F & VIII from the sale too.

Really would want to get all the planes now that they are cheap, but meh, tend to fly Axis. Think I get the early planes too, Fokker E.III & Albie II & III :hmmm:

Though, I have to say, I like the DR1 quite a bit too, small target, good climb rate, but spins a rookie pilot quickly.

Oh and first flight could be tomorrow, no mandatory stuff, but if we can get enough pilots we could try it out.

I can host, but if my connection isnt enough then let's see if someone else can host.

As for realism settings, I was thinking of these:

Everything else on 'realistic/off/' except Subtitles and Simple Gauges

Atleast for the time we are just getting used to the planes.

Better to learn to play with icons off etc. from the start imho.

Spike88
01-14-12, 07:26 PM
I'm up, but I don't own ICE, so hopefully that doesn't interfere.

Raptor1
01-14-12, 07:28 PM
The free version should work fine.

I'm up. Need to get myself some planes first, though...

Dowly
01-14-12, 07:40 PM
The demo has SPAD something and Albie D.Va <- the thing that will shoot you down

SgtPotato
01-15-12, 12:36 PM
How do I get TrackIR work with this game? :hmmm:

Schroeder
01-15-12, 01:12 PM
How do I get TrackIR work with this game? :hmmm:
Have you updated your TrackIR software? I haven't had any issues with RoF.

SgtPotato
01-15-12, 01:26 PM
nvm

I figured it out.

Oberon
01-15-12, 03:00 PM
That is the one thing that sets me back a bit with ROF, you really need TrackIR to get the most out of it.

Herr-Berbunch
01-15-12, 06:26 PM
My god these are a bitch to fly! :o

Herr-Berbunch
01-23-12, 08:42 AM
Rise of Flight ICE is on sale at FSPilotShop http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2740 (http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2740) and I just paid £13 :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Just wish I hadn't bought a couple of planes the other day :stare:

Dowly
01-23-12, 01:03 PM
Could try and get some action going this week, no idea when, might go to end of the week. :hmmm:

seaniam81
01-24-12, 04:18 PM
I have the Demo of ROF, haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to pick up ICE. Leaning towards. But if the Demo is good enough to join, I'm in.

Dowly
01-24-12, 04:19 PM
Any version of the game will do. :yep:

seaniam81
01-24-12, 11:47 PM
Well I just upgraded. I Love me the S.E.5.a

Herr-Berbunch
01-25-12, 11:43 AM
:yeah:I'm up for a game soon.

Be advised - you thought I was bad in an A-10. :o

Dowly
01-25-12, 01:23 PM
Could try get something up during the weekend. With any luck (which I usually lack),
I get my new fancy pansy rig parts on Friday, so probably need to spend some
time with that before I get back on track with everything. :hmmm:

seaniam81
01-25-12, 04:20 PM
:yeah:I'm up for a game soon.

Be advised - you thought I was bad in an A-10. :o

It's ok. I cant hit the broadside of a barn if I was a foot away. That and I keep ripping wings off.

Herr-Berbunch
01-25-12, 06:11 PM
True, aircraft design is one area where they can't say, 'this wouldn't have happened in my day'. Wood and fabric -at least they let most things just pass straight through!

I'm with you on the barn door thing too. :nope:

seaniam81
01-31-12, 06:42 PM
So I've been flying around and getting better. I can shoot down a balloon without ramming it. Now if the airplanes would hold still too.

When we fly are we going to stick to 1 type of plane? or maybe any plane on the same side?

Herr-Berbunch
01-31-12, 06:48 PM
I think Dowly was, thankfully, going after some teamwork. So just the team kills to avoid then. :roll:

I'm grounded until my new stick arrives :cry:

Dowly
02-01-12, 07:06 AM
@seaniam81

Number of plane types, depending on the mission of course.

No idea when I can try and host this, tho. Been busy 2 weeks or so with all kinds
of crap going on. School tonight, so I'll prolly be knackered when I get home. :hmmm:

Anyone got any preferred day(s)?

Arclight
02-03-12, 04:21 AM
I'm fine with any day, as long as I get to fly I'm happy.

Dowly
02-03-12, 05:55 AM
Could have a go tonight if there's nothing else. The usual time, Arc's TS blaa blaa blaa

Dowly
02-03-12, 12:31 PM
Actually, scratch that. Brother's coming over at some point tonight. :shifty:

Herr-Berbunch
02-03-12, 03:30 PM
Actually, scratch that. Brother's coming over at some point tonight. :shifty:

D'oh! Just got mine all back together and a new stick arrived today too. :cry:

Oh well, I'll SP something to test it, and then go please the wife (by getting of 'that flaming computer')!

von Kinderei
02-03-12, 11:47 PM
I might be interested ...

You have your own dedicated arena :06:

I use to fly with a squad a while back on there and they had their own arena set up with a password and everything to keep riff raff out

Dowly
02-13-12, 06:06 PM
@von Kinderei

Private server would be what we have.. err.. when we have. :O:

Speaking of which, could try this on Wednesday? Don't have any coop missions,
but could start with just deathmatch fooling around, still haven't tried the planes
I bought. :hmmm:

Lemme know if the day's ok and so on, 21gmt Arc's teamspeak as usual.

Arclight
02-13-12, 09:11 PM
Wednesday works. :yep:

Dowly
02-15-12, 02:40 PM
Could put the server up around 20.30GMT to test it works and run some deathmatch.

Later on, could try generating a coop mission with the Pat Wilson's campaign generator.
Tho, there's no way other than using the mission editor to set how many different
kind of planes there are in a mission. :-?

Arclight
02-15-12, 02:57 PM
Can give it a shot. :yep:

Oberon
02-15-12, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a plan. Was just about to fire it up and download any updates needed.

BTW, any Yanks around here, Amazon.com has ROF:ICE on sale for $9.99 until the 20th. Sadly it's America only though. :damn:

Oberon
02-15-12, 06:39 PM
What I wanted to fly in the Dogfight:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1385/201221523227.jpg

What the mission gave me to fly:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9881/2012215222539.jpg

:wah::wah::wah:

Dowly
02-15-12, 07:27 PM
Arclight and I duke it out the Lolwaffle way: by dogfighting on the ground :arrgh!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpCe5uQ8ws

Oberon
02-15-12, 07:39 PM
I wondered what you two were doing before I came over for 'tea'.

Oberon
02-16-12, 07:43 AM
Just got ICE from Flightsim shop for just over twelve quid. Will set up an account on it, and then email 777 to ask them to transfer my Pup over. :yep:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3518812/ROF_ICE_Digital_at_Amazon_com_.html#Post3518812

Herr-Berbunch
02-16-12, 07:50 AM
Just got ICE from Flightsim shop for just over twelve quid. Will set up an account on it, and then email 777 to ask them to transfer my Pup over. :yep:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3518812/ROF_ICE_Digital_at_Amazon_com_.html#Post3518812

You should keep the same install, just log in with your usual account and enter new key - all should remain. :yep:

Oberon
02-16-12, 08:30 AM
You should keep the same install, just log in with your usual account and enter new key - all should remain. :yep:

I'll give that a bash

Oberon
02-16-12, 08:40 AM
Bingo, I can cancel that 3gb download now. Thanks Herr B! :yeah:

Dowly
02-16-12, 08:45 AM
Aye, just need to log in with your account. All the planes are there, just not unlocked until you buy them. :03:

Herr-Berbunch
02-16-12, 09:30 AM
Arclight and I duke it out the Lolwaffle way: by dogfighting on the ground :arrgh!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpCe5uQ8ws

Brilliant - just missing Yakety Sax :rock:

Some more stuff available to pre-order on the 777 RoF store - might pre-order the Felixtowe F.2A :D

...just to stop me crashing into the water - I can claim I 'landed'. :D

Hurry up next sale, I'm impatient. :shifty: And cheap.

Oberon
02-16-12, 09:46 AM
Mmm, that Camel is a nice crate...but yes, she will bite your head off if you don't pay 100% attention at all times. Managed to flame a DVa and then entered a right hand spin that I couldn't shake her out of.

The SE5 vs a Dr.I is quite a nice match but tough, that Dr.I can throw itself about, even with a n00b pilot in the cockpit, whereas the SE5 is more sedate and steady.

Needless to say, I've died a lot, sometimes I've even been shot down. :haha:

Just got to tweak Newview a bit, I've got some nasty blindspots behind and above that I want to get rid of.

Herr-Berbunch
02-16-12, 10:21 AM
The SE5 vs a Dr.I is quite a nice match but tough, that Dr.I can throw itself about, even with a n00b pilot in the cockpit, whereas the SE5 is more sedate and steady.

Dr.1 has the terrible affliction of changing the nose attitude during left turns, quite a killer I imagine if you don't have the altitude available. :o Other than that it's an immensely throwable aircraft.

flatsixes
02-21-12, 08:36 PM
Hey gents. I've wanted this game for a while, and at $9.99 for the download version we're not talking about a huge investment. My only concern is whether my old rig will run it. (It runs IL-2 on max without too many stumbles).

Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+
2.41 ghz
3.5 gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 4850

Yeah, I know, I need an upgrade. But right now all I can afford is the $10 for the game. So how big a pig is RoF?

Thanks

Raptor1
02-21-12, 08:39 PM
My computer is marginally more powerful than yours and it runs it just fine. In any case, the base game is free (The so-called trial is pretty much the full game with two aircraft), so you can just try it yourself...

Dowly
02-22-12, 08:14 AM
Right, the slow motion issue seems to be related to the PW's campaign generator.
Tested non-generated missions and all work just fine. :hmmm:

Got 7 Co-op missions for tonight, they are made for earlier version of the game,
but I tested 3 of them and saw no issues.

Plane set seems to be:
4 x Nieuport 28.C1
4 x SPAD 13.C1
-----
4 x Albatros D.Va
4 x Fokker D.VII

///////

As for the custom skins, upload them and post the linky here and I'll add it to the first post.
Downloading the skins is of course optional.

That is all. :salute:

EDIT: First post updated

flatsixes
02-22-12, 12:14 PM
My computer is marginally more powerful than yours and it runs it just fine. In any case, the base game is free (The so-called trial is pretty much the full game with two aircraft), so you can just try it yourself...

Thanks for the advice. I usually avoid demos, because they're usually worthless. But this one appears to be fairly robust, and appears to run just fine, although I can see that I'm going to have my work cut out figuring out how to see where the hell I'm going and who's chasing me!

Are you folks using Track IR pretty happy with its performance?

Dowly
02-22-12, 02:15 PM
Are you folks using Track IR pretty happy with its performance?

Yup, works like a charm. :yep:

The master server seems to be wonky today, hopefully it gets fixed ASAP. :-?

Raptor1
02-22-12, 03:21 PM
Here's my Albatros D.V skin (http://www.mediafire.com/?6qv7pe3801fk2kj). It's pretty old and was rather rushed, so I'll probably have to make a new one at some point.

Dowly
02-22-12, 03:30 PM
Here's my Albatros D.V skin (http://www.mediafire.com/?6qv7pe3801fk2kj). It's pretty old and was rather rushed, so I'll probably have to make a new one at some point.

Added to first post. :up:

Master server issue seems to be fixed, so hooray. :yeah:

Factor
02-26-12, 08:27 PM
http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2740

Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition. $9.99 at above link. :woot:

Crécy
02-27-12, 12:40 AM
http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2740

Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition. $9.99 at above link. :woot:

Thanks for informing!

Bought!

Raptor1
02-27-12, 07:51 AM
Thanks for informing!

Bought!

Same.

flatsixes
02-28-12, 10:16 AM
Ok. So i brought the game for $9.99.
Three days later I spent $24 on three new planes.
Now I want a $1,000+ cpu upgrade, Saitek rudder pedals, and goggles.

I sense doom, again.

Herr-Berbunch
02-28-12, 10:42 AM
Ok. So i brought the game for $9.99.
Three days later I spent $24 on three new planes.
Now I want a $1,000+ cpu upgrade, Saitek rudder pedals, and goggles.

I sense doom, again.

As much as I disagree with payable DLC, it does tempt you in. I'm looking at a new plane but can't decide...

Maybe I should try and master the ones I've got. :hmmm:

Or wait for the next sale - if there ever is one!

flatsixes
02-28-12, 12:31 PM
As much as I disagree with payable DLC, it does tempt you in. I'm looking at a new plane but can't decide...

Maybe I should try and master the ones I've got. :hmmm:

Or wait for the next sale - if there ever is one!

Eh, they were selling 'em buy two get 20% off, so I just applied the same logic that my wife and daughters use to justify saving me a whole bunch of money every time they go shopping for shoes and handbags.

Herr-Berbunch
02-29-12, 09:23 AM
Just added all the historical skin packs and the install is running at 15.5 Gigs :o

Dowly
02-29-12, 01:29 PM
Probably going to skip tonight. :hmmm:

Herr-Berbunch
02-29-12, 01:49 PM
Noooooo!!! :o

Ah, you've remembered that 400 Gig of 'stuff.

Dowly
02-29-12, 01:51 PM
I can put the TDM up later if I can find a version that has all the planes.
I'm not touching the coops we played last time and the mission editor isn't working (just hangs there).

I'll let you know closer to the usual time if I'll pop it up or not.

EDIT: Oh hey, the ME works. :yeah:

EDIT2: I am in awe. How can mission editor be this retarded? It's not supposed to even be possible to be this retarded!? :dead:

Dowly
02-29-12, 03:10 PM
Right, team deathmatch starting in ~ 1 hour.

Both sides have all available planes (side limited), unless I forgot 1 or 2.

Also, neither of the airfields are sitting on 100% flat ground (because... retard editor), so look around abit
before taking off.

flatsixes
03-02-12, 12:42 PM
Yikes, learning to keep these kites in the air (with wings) is proving to be a humbling experience.

Herr-Berbunch
03-02-12, 01:07 PM
That's why most modern aircraft aren't made from wood and cloth. Hurrah for modern materials. :D

Dowly
03-02-12, 03:15 PM
Dowly vs. Herr Berbunch dogfight which quickly turns to Dowly vs. SgtPotato dogfight from Wednesday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImTel_o9p8s

Good fight Spud. Can't say I remember having such a nice scissors fight in a looong time.

And of course, what brought me down was the S.E.5a's inability to perform a loop
that would've been a walk in the park for the Albie5. :stare:

And yes, I used externals due to the kingsize seat of the S.E.5a blocking my view to my six. :nope:
Seriously, what went through the minds of the people who designed these planes? :dead:

SgtPotato
03-02-12, 03:32 PM
It was a good fight, until Herr berbunch start shooting at me. :doh:

Dowly
03-02-12, 03:35 PM
It was a good fight, until Herr berbunch start shooting at me. :doh:

Well shoot back the next time! :O:

SgtPotato
03-02-12, 03:39 PM
Well shoot back the next time! :O:

He didn't even realize that we're on the same team!

Dowly
03-02-12, 03:44 PM
He didn't even realize that we're on the same team!

Shoot.Back. :O:

Oberon
03-02-12, 03:48 PM
I will have to have a dig around and see what went wrong with my attempts to connect. Strangest thing was that it works just fine in singleplayer...but multiplayer it kept throwing up an access error. :damn:

Still, I'm only going to be able to fly on Wednesdays for two more weeks and then I'll be working from then on in.

Dowly
03-02-12, 03:58 PM
That was strange indeed. Nothing's been changed from the week before,
except for having a new mission which shouldn't cause any errors as I didn't use
anything that wasn't in the game already. Also, Spud joined in with the demo
account, so it can't be that. :hmmm:

StarTrekMike
03-06-12, 04:38 AM
How would I find your teamspeak server, I wish to join you gentleman when you all meet next.

I am still pretty new to the sim but I can handle most of the aircraft pretty well and I only fly with full realism settings when I have the choice.

Anyway, hope this is not out of order to ask, I know I am a pretty random arrival.

Herr-Berbunch
03-06-12, 07:08 AM
...but I can handle most of the aircraft pretty well...

Good, you can show us what to do :D, no, seriously!

The TS server is Arc's, details are probably best found on page one of the DCS Flight Night thread.

I can only speak for myself, but it'd be good to have someone else on board, I'm sure the others will think the same.

@SgtPotato - it was my second MP in RoF, I thought it was just every man (or stem tuber) for himself. My first I shot hardly anything as it was definitely a team thing and I couldn't really see who was who. Apologies, but on the other hand I don't recall hitting you... :roll:

Dowly
03-07-12, 12:06 PM
Riiight, no RoF tonight.

Herr-Berbunch
03-07-12, 01:27 PM
At least that sounds definite, not like last week. Still ploughing through that 400 Gig ;)

Dowly
03-14-12, 01:09 PM
I shall postpone this crap until I can be arsed to make coop missions with the editor.

Shouldn't take much longer than around 17 years. :hmmm:

Herr-Berbunch
05-06-12, 04:59 PM
777 Studios have got a sale on 5 - 12 May, all a/c bar the latest four.

Damn, I'm spent up at the moment!

Egan
06-11-12, 04:26 PM
My GPU is finally dying so I've got a brand new 7970 coming on Saturday. I think I'll celebrate by buying the DH4. Looks like a lovely crate. :yeah: