PDA

View Full Version : best fuel consumption?

lees72
01-14-12, 04:12 AM
Haven't played for a year and can't remember..
What's the best speed to maintain fuel?
standard or one third??

Thanks.

Loudspeaker
01-14-12, 06:25 AM
About 8-10 knots will ensure the greatest range with any fleet boat. Below or above that, your engines will consume too much per mile travelled. If you wish to combine range with time, approximately 12 knots will be your choice.

Some people consider the 8-10 knots speed to be a glitch in the game, because it makes your fleet boat able to travel unrealistically far. I usually travel at 12 knots to my area of operation and set speed at 10 when patrolling inside it.

If you play stock, I recommend downloading Webster's Better Sub mod. It does nothing to the game exept setting the speed according to these values. (Ahead 2/3 for longest range, ahead standard for time/range.) The speed values in stock are silly.

Webster's Better Sub(speed) can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152897

WernherVonTrapp
01-14-12, 10:16 AM
It all depends on what boat you're using, e.g., an S-Boat's best fuel economy speed is about 8.5 knots. Mods may alter these speeds so it also depends on what mods (if any) you are using.

Sailor Steve
01-14-12, 10:36 AM
Simple answer: Standard in TMO, One Third in the stock game or any other supermod.

donna52522
01-14-12, 10:54 AM
I think in TMO2.5 the fuel values have been changed, seems close to stock now, but maybe it's just me. I do 9knts in S-Boats, and 10knts in all others.........Standard in U-Boats.

0rpheus
01-14-12, 11:11 AM
Simple answer: Standard in TMO, One Third in the stock game or any other supermod.

Is it? I've been finding that ahead 2/3rds gives me the best fuel economy, since speed is usually 9-10 knots with that order. I'm using TMO 2.5. :hmmm:

lees72
01-15-12, 06:05 AM
About 8-10 knots will ensure the greatest range with any fleet boat. Below or above that, your engines will consume too much per mile travelled. If you wish to combine range with time, approximately 12 knots will be your choice.

Some people consider the 8-10 knots speed to be a glitch in the game, because it makes your fleet boat able to travel unrealistically far. I usually travel at 12 knots to my area of operation and set speed at 10 when patrolling inside it.

If you play stock, I recommend downloading Webster's Better Sub mod. It does nothing to the game exept setting the speed according to these values. (Ahead 2/3 for longest range, ahead standard for time/range.) The speed values in stock are silly.

Webster's Better Sub(speed) can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152897
I play stock atm, but plan on trying out SH5 with many many mods!
Thanks