PDA

View Full Version : Kernel.dll

Chisum
01-06-12, 08:37 AM
Hi mates,

I'm sorry if the subject has been already treated, I have not found it in search.

Well.
This last few days I have this error: "kernel.dll" who let me with a black screen, SHIII shut down and of course, without saving my game.

Can you tell me what can I do to resolve this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

:salute:

von Kinderei
01-06-12, 08:47 AM
Is this the error you're gettin'

Appname: SH3.exe Appver: 1.4.0.1 Modname: kernell.dll

Chisum
01-06-12, 08:52 AM
Hum...
Something like it but I have not copy the right text.

You know this error ?

von Kinderei
01-06-12, 08:56 AM
I few months ago I was gettin' the error I posted ...

What are your system specs and what mods do you have loaded

Chisum
01-06-12, 09:01 AM
It's an old machine but she was running perfect few days ago.
The mode is GWX 3.0 Gold and I have 2 Go RAM with an old Pentium IV 3.2 GHz.

Note the error is "Kernel.dll" and not "Kernell.dll".

Thanks to try to help me.

von Kinderei
01-06-12, 09:03 AM
What other mods do you have installed with GWX :06:

Chisum
01-06-12, 09:14 AM
http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/16/32/90/77/sans_t69.gif

But this setup has worked very well long time.

frau kaleun
01-06-12, 09:15 AM
Kernel.dll errrors often refer to problems caused by lack of memory, what mods if any do you have enabled? Some of them are very demanding and with only 2 gigs RAM on your system there is going to be a limit to what it can handle so you may have to pick and choose which ones you value most.

Edit: looking at your list I don't see any mods there that I know to be among the most demanding ones altho there are a couple I'm not familiar with. :hmmm:

von Kinderei
01-06-12, 09:21 AM
I was thinkin' the same thing Frau Kaleun ...

My issue at the time I was havin' the kernel.dll problem ended up bein' the MFM

I also ended up un-installin' the game then goin' into my registry and delete'N what was left over after the un-install ... I then did a fresh install and then add back the mods I liked WITHOUT the MFM and everything has been rather stable since then and I have quite a few mods installed but it works now

irish1958
01-06-12, 09:42 AM
I would suggest two things
Reinstall
Get at least two more Gb RAM

Jimbuna
01-06-12, 12:10 PM
More memory :yep:

GT182
01-06-12, 05:17 PM
Yep, more memory or you could end up like this.....

http://www.tomrush.com./video_remember.html

Forgive me I'm sorry, but I couldn't hold myself back. LOL

Jimbuna
01-06-12, 05:21 PM
LOL :DL

irish1958
01-06-12, 08:30 PM
I was going to leave a reply; it's around here somewhere.......

Chisum
01-06-12, 10:16 PM
More memory...
I'm not sure.
Before, the game was running well with only 1 Go.
I bought 2 Go and the game was perfect.
It must be an other problem.

I think the computer is getting old. In other circonstances I get a lot of beautiful BSOD sweetly named "Management_Memory", "PFN_List_corrupt" or "Bad_Pool_Header".

But I don't understand why this "Kernel.dll" is in fault.
And what does it in SH3 ? Normaly, Kernel.dll is for Windows 98 !
After that it is Kernell32.

To be continue and I thank you to your help.

Thanks also to the video, great moment !

:yeah:

von Kinderei
01-06-12, 10:56 PM
I was gettin' the error I posted earlier and I'm runnin' Windows Xp Pro NOT Windows 98 and also runnin' 2 gigs of ram in my system when I received that error too .

The MFM I was wantin' to run was just to memory hungry and my system would crash ... took awhile to figure that out too and I got that information from the folks here ... my game ran smooth as well until that mod was installed and then after I un-installed it I would still get a CTD.

So , I had to un-install and go into registry and straighten that out and now all's well :rock:

Chisum
01-07-12, 06:58 AM
I can't uninstall now, I must help BdU to finish the war !

:arrgh!:

(:haha:)

STEED
01-07-12, 07:06 AM
I had this last year I think, I cut down on mods not in GWX3. Try Game Booster that frees up memory. I run the ver1.6 (as recommended to me) as my PC is over six years old now, and yes do a fresh install.

I have had no issues to date.

Seeadler
01-07-12, 08:11 AM
But I don't understand why this "Kernel.dll" is in fault.
And what does it in SH3 ? Normaly, Kernel.dll is for Windows 98 !
After that it is Kernell32.
Because SH3 has its own kernel.dll
This DLL contains all the core functions of the graphic/3D-engine for SH3.

Chisum
01-07-12, 11:34 PM
Thank you mates.
Is it possible that kernel.dll is broken ?

About Game Booster, it's wonderful. I have try(V 3.2.0.1417) and it works perfectly.
But I still have some troubles, probably hardware.

Thanks a lot.

:up:

Seeadler
01-08-12, 08:13 AM
Thank you mates.
Is it possible that kernel.dll is broken ?

No, but if one of the mods cause any memory problems, the chance is very high that one of the 3D render functions in the Kernel.dll fails and then the name of this DLL is called in the error message.

irish1958
01-08-12, 12:00 PM
I had a similar problem and replaced the kernel file but it didn't fix it as it was a memory problem as Seeadler points out. You need more RAM and a fresh install to make everything copacetic

Jimbuna
01-08-12, 04:33 PM
Don't mean to come across as being 'pedantic' but see #11

Captain Nemo
01-09-12, 02:41 AM
I run SH3 with GWX and a few additional mods on a P4 3GHz with 3 gigabyte of RAM on XP Home without issues. I should stress that I don't use the 3GB switch so SH3 can only utilise 2GB of the RAM I have installed. The only mod that would in some situations cause a kernel.dll error for me was the interiors mod which is a shame but I can live without it. I also have my virtual memory settings maxed out at 4GB, not sure if this helps or not though.

Nemo

Chisum
01-10-12, 04:57 AM
Hi mates.

Few words to tell you that the problem is solved.
And as I thought it was not a memory problem.
It was the graphic card.
In fact, in last november I updated the drivers and they was not compatible to my system.
I came back to a previous version and now all is ok.

And I am doubly happy because I discovered Game Booster and it's a soft absolutly fabulous.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Good hunting.

Jimbuna
01-10-12, 08:20 AM
SINK EM ALL!! :sunny:

flag4
01-10-12, 02:38 PM
...you could try www.AlacrityPc.com (http://www.AlacrityPc.com)

shuts down tons more back ground programmes than Booster

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/&sa=U&ei=6pMMT8HxMO3Q4QTNlKiuBg&ved=0CAQQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGuY7BoJjcZjjDYp1Pp1lKUdSfY1Q

Chisum
01-20-12, 02:50 PM
Well mates, I've good news.
After a full format and a full new OS instal, my SH3 run now perfectly.
and I must tell you that it's a enormous pleasure but also an amazing crazy affair.

In fact, I suspected a RAM problem thought it was new(1 year).
I removed the 2 GRAM and reinstal the original 1 GRAM before format.

And although 1 GRAM less, inside the game I have 75 fps in the coning tower by bad weather !
No bug, no crash, everything is absolutly perfect.

But the most incredible is the way I proceeded to find my current campaign.
I have not done a new installation, but recovered a full backup !
However, I had the files for my campagn(Jochen Mohr campaign) trying to save the file Ubisoft / SilentHunterIII failed. So I picked a backup this file from October 2010 and I installed with campaign files dating from January 2011 !
And it works as never !

Amazing.

Thanks a lot to your help.
Now, if a same problem appears, one solution: c:/format !

PS: I've tried to a 2007 full backup, SH3+GWX 1.3 and it run also perfectly.

Jimbuna
01-20-12, 06:35 PM
Nice one :sunny:

PapaKilo
01-21-12, 01:29 PM
c:/format will not help you if you're getting kernel.dll errors due to lack of ram or if the ram is faulty. if you suspect the ram to be faulty run memtest to test your rams for few hours.

My ctds due to kernel.dll is now a history after I added 2 more GB.

Chisum
01-21-12, 02:07 PM
c:/format will not help you if you're getting kernel.dll errors due to lack of ram or if the ram is faulty.

However, the problem is resolved.
Strange.
After 6 years without format and a lot of download/instal/uninstall, the register is completely crapped and gives a lot of error incomprehensible.
Otherwise, I have rarely saw people tell that memtest has found a RAM error.

But you have probably right, the real problem must be elsewhere.

PapaKilo
01-21-12, 02:28 PM
However, the problem is resolved.
Strange.
After 6 years without format and a lot of download/instal/uninstall, the register is completely crapped and gives a lot of error incomprehensible.
Otherwise, I have rarely saw people tell that memtest has found a RAM error.

But you have probably right, the real problem must be elsewhere.

format usualy helps if you can't recover your PC to normal state after some virus attack or so. Mess in the registry that grows with time, can also be cleaned with registry maintenance software. Unwanted applications, spywares, etc. can also cause slowdowns on your pc. So in other words keepin your OS clean reduces software related isues to minimum.

Chisum
01-21-12, 02:56 PM
format usualy helps if you can't recover your PC to normal state after some virus attack or so. Mess in the registry that grows with time, can also be cleaned with registry maintenance software. Unwanted applications, spywares, etc. can also cause slowdowns on your pc. So in other words keepin your OS clean reduces software related isues to minimum.

OMG...
You know, it's not my first year on a computer.
I keep the registry clean all the time by cleaning with CCleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner. Registry is everyday defragmented and the hard drive regularly to.
I use also Malware's byte and Spybot S&D.
But sometime it's not enough, specially after 6 years of intensif use.
I don't like to format but it was the solution this time.

Of course, some people prefers talking about memory or DC alimentation that makes work the computer-business. But it's not the solution, I'm sorry.
I repeat: SH3 + GWX 3.0 run actually with 1 Go RAM less and it run as never.
That's all I want.

PapaKilo
01-21-12, 03:26 PM
First you say "the register is completely crapped and gives a lot of error incomprehensible." Then you say you're was doing full registry maintenance frequently. It should not be happening if it was truth. Then you say you're getting BSOD related to memory managment and you haven't done any ram tests at all. at the end you say it's ALREADY a graphic card fault... :nope:

Frankly speaking I believe you do not know what you're talking about and always trying to pretend as if you a comp. geek :) Pathetic..

Chisum
01-21-12, 03:48 PM
First you say "the register is completely crapped and gives a lot of error incomprehensible." Then you say you're was doing full registry maintenance frequently. It should not be happening if it was truth. Then you say you're getting BSOD related to memory managment and you haven't done any ram tests at all. at the end you say it's ALREADY a graphic card fault... :nope:

Frankly speaking I believe you do not know what you're talking about and always trying to pretend as if you a comp. geek :) Pathetic..

You do not seem very competent to teach computer science. I am still better placed than you to know my machine was and if I decided to format it's really at least because I felt it was necessary. And I was right.

You mean Memtest as if you were sure it was the cause but what relationship between RAM and Kernel.dll?
No.
A registry cleaned with a registry software mentioned above, is not necessarily a registry clean.
Proof: After format it works.
Often, software install somethings that nothing can erase the registry even after uninstallation.
And I do not even speak of dirt that can collect on simple contaminated sites, often without knowing it.
So I think you did well to sign "troll".

Schuss.

PS: for example, here is the image of my task manager after 2 hours in SH3. I had never had as little use of resources.

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/16/32/90/77/incred10.gif

PapaKilo
01-21-12, 03:53 PM
"but what relationship between RAM and Kernel.dll? "

This one killed me instantly :haha:

Everyone tells you they are related. Are you dumb or what ?

Whatever, belive in what you're capable at :)

I'm not into such disscussion with one who answers his own questions anyway :haha:

Jimbuna
01-21-12, 04:07 PM
Can we steer clear of ridicule please.

Madox58
01-21-12, 04:10 PM
How you managed to keep a system running for 6 years without a reformat is beyond me!
I salute you SIR!!

I use CCleaner and several other programs but still I wipe and re-install everything once a year.
On all 5 systems here!
I have a small business on one system.
My Son has one system and he has a gross income of over 1.5 million US $ each year.
Then the Wife and I have our own systems.
The other is the main print/copy/scan system for all.
Those systems are here and I maintain them.

I started the 1st ISP in my area and did work for Lawyers and Courts in my area.

I still do work for several High profile Clients involved in the Special Needs Field. And that's Government work.
Plus all my friends, family, and many, many others

So I'm not one to be taken lightly when it comes to computers.

Again!
Salute for 6 years running!!
:salute::salute:
:D

Chisum
01-21-12, 09:33 PM
Thank you Privateer.
It was probably a mistake but I don't like format at the first problem.
It's like the car, some people buy a new car every year and some others prefers repair and repair and repair.

;)