PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone Actualy Have

andwii
12-12-11, 03:09 PM
Does anyone actualy have like a real uboat training manual (like how they trained the commanders). Ive been kind of wondering if one of them ever survived, and I can just pick up a PDF or something of it, so I can learn how they learned. Sure the TDC is nice and all, but I wanna know how they did everything when it came to attacking, so I can intergrate it with my gameplay.

frau kaleun
12-12-11, 03:19 PM
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/uboat/index.htm

Also available to purchase from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/U-Boat-Commanders-Handbook/dp/0939631210/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323721015&sr=1-18

flag4
12-12-11, 04:20 PM
...i remember having a copy and reading it on the loo. thats where i kept it(?)
i kind of enjoyed reading it and tried to integrate what i was reading into the sim, with little luck or change in ability.

some of the parts on escaping detection helped a bit

has anyone found it strengthened their game-play?

andwii
12-12-11, 04:36 PM
Frau your a saint, was gonna buy it for 30 bucks but now that I found this, heck with that lol. Maybe at some time I will purchase a copy, but for now this will do quite nicely.

frau kaleun
12-12-11, 06:24 PM
No problem, glad to help! :DL

Kapt Z
12-12-11, 11:37 PM
kind of enjoyed reading it and tried to integrate what i was reading into the sim, with little luck or change in ability.

some of the parts on escaping detection helped a bit

has anyone found it strengthened their game-play?

Some tips here and there, but more interesting for the immersion factor than anything else.

andwii
12-16-11, 11:10 AM
ok so I am nearly done reading the handbook, but it didnt teach me how they made distance calculations, speed, and enemys cource (I think they didnt tell that last one.) anyone have any documents that explane how they really did it, or how they were taught how to do the calculations?

Rosencrantz
12-20-11, 05:10 PM
Hello andwii!

I affraid the U-boat Commander's Handbook is the only more or less original document you can find from the internet and which is also translated in english. From the U-boat Archive you can find few more original documents also in english, but those papers can't answer your questions.

During approach phase course, distance, and speed calculations were done pretty much in the same manner in the U-boat as they were done in the US fleet boats. However, during my studies few years ago I came into conclusion that usually U-boat skippers preffered normal approach course insted of using optimal approach course. This is odd, but several original war diaries confirm this.

Greetings,
-RC-