PDA

View Full Version : Steam version?

Pappy55
11-30-11, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

Its been a while. Does the steam version work as well for modding as the retail?

I still own an the original day one Starforce potected DVD.
I know it can be worked around but having a digital backup copy is always good. It is one of the reasons I like steam.

:arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
11-30-11, 11:03 AM
When I tried to use Steam for something they decided I wasn't in their marketing region. You can get a Starforce-free copy very cheap here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00023XXN6/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1322668882&sr=1-1&condition=new

If you get there through the link in my sig Subsim.com also gets a small cut.

Hans Uberman
11-30-11, 12:51 PM
My copy from Steam has never had any issues with mods. Though I set it to never update the game, just in case.

11-30-11, 03:21 PM
Have not had a problem with Steam, in fact, I could not play my original copy when I switched over to W7. And I have quite of few mods running.

Gargamel
11-30-11, 10:11 PM
While I have never had any true 'issues' with the steam version, there a couple things to be aware of.

1) Super mods (GWX in particular) install apps rare set to look for the sh3.exe in the normal spot, you must redirect it to the correct location. just click browwse and find it.

2) SH3C has a small 'bug' that some users have noted with the Steam version. Apparently it is supposed to close when you launch SH3 from within SHC, but mine doesnt. SH3 doesn't load quicck enough (I think), so SHC reopens again. Its actually a feature IMO, since I can browse old patrol reports (I NEVER edit them) while patrolling, or view personel files.

Other than that, I've never had an issue that I recall. Maybe there were some workarounds I don't even remember doing, but If you do a thorough search here, you can find solutions to any specific issues.

Howard313
11-30-11, 10:23 PM
I own the steam version, and so far every mod I have ever ran on it has worked perfectly.....save for one.

The 4gb patch, it says i'm running an unknown version of the game when I try to install it. So, it may be just me but that's the only issue I've had personally, and believe me I've ran my fair share of mods.

:salute:

Lzs von swe
12-01-11, 04:54 AM
Yes, no problems. Just remember the path to the SHIII folder.
I have the old original disc too, it worked in Vista 32 but not in 7 64. I tried to buy a new copie from the Amazon link here but Sweden is not on Amazones map:O: so another sell for Steam.

Sailor Steve
12-01-11, 06:17 AM
here but Sweden is not on Amazones map
Did you try Amazon.co.uk? Amazon.de?

Lzs von swe
12-01-11, 01:24 PM
Did you try Amazon.co.uk? Amazon.de?
Hey Steve.
No I used the link here and that took me to the US site. Just bought an extra copy from the UK site, anything for Subsim:salute:
Lets se if it finds the way here:hmmm:

edit Hey, it just came in the mail. edit

Hans Uberman
12-03-11, 02:02 AM
I own the steam version, and so far every mod I have ever ran on it has worked perfectly.....save for one.

The 4gb patch, it says i'm running an unknown version of the game when I try to install it. So, it may be just me but that's the only issue I've had personally, and believe me I've ran my fair share of mods.

:salute:
Yeah, that's really odd. It works here. (Win 7 64-bit)