PDA

View Full Version : Printing maps for SH4 question

Pilot_76
11-13-11, 01:10 PM
I've downloaded the SH4 navpack for Celestial navigation use and the maps are great for using real navigation tools in a SH4 patrol. Now I am going to print those maps and I'd like to know which scale is a good one for handling and plotting coordinates down to minutes...I know the difference between degrees lat is 60 nm. I also know that the maps must be larger than A3 size because I printed them out in A3 and was veeeery clumsy and difficult to plot anything at all due to the small size of the grids. Needs to enlarge but how much?:hmmm::hmmm:

TorpX
11-13-11, 06:37 PM
You don't have to print out maps if you don't want to. There were some worksheets that had suitable markings and divisions for that purpose. You can obtain your calculated fix coordinates and then make a final mark on the in-game nav map. Of course, this works better if you have disabled your sub icon in the game.

Pilot_76
11-13-11, 07:56 PM
You don't have to print out maps if you don't want to. There were some worksheets that had suitable markings and divisions for that purpose. You can obtain your calculated fix coordinates and then make a final mark on the in-game nav map. Of course, this works better if you have disabled your sub icon in the game.

I understand the usage of Universal plotting sheets but I'd like to mark stuff on a printed map of the pacific. You know, using more tools with your hands rather than any tools within the game...I got plotters, rulers, parallel rulers, dividers etc. Just need a good map size for plotting.

TorpX
11-14-11, 06:17 PM
OK, I see. You want a paper chart for navigation and/or to make a record of your patrol. I admit that B/W chart looks pretty good. :DL

I used to make paper plots for my approaches in SHCE all the time, but more or less transitioned to the in-game map since I could zoom in and out effortlessly and didn't have to worry about running off the edge of the paper. Does anybody still use paper plots for their approaches?