PDA

View Full Version : Random Pictures of the USS Bowfin in Pearl Harbor

Ducimus
11-11-11, 01:20 PM
So, both my wife and I took, *some* pictures of the USS bowfin in pearl harbor. Not all the pictures I took came out ok, so I removed them. End result is this isn't quite the photo walkthrough I wanted. Part of the problem was there was a crap ton of people walking through, and I couldn't get some of the shots I wanted because everyone kept getting in the way.

Instead, what I ended up with, is some detail shots of various portions of the boat. Honestly, about halfway through, i thought to myself in regards to picture taking "ive seen all this before a dozen times online". Which is true, I have, and I'm sure you ahve as well.

So instead of posting the usual photo expose that you've probably seen before, i decided instead to upload the raw pictures so you can appreciate the details better. Resizing said photo's for web viewing and you lose this.

So here's the D/L link:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20974379/bowfin_pics_7z (200 MB's of photos)

Windows picture viewer works fine. I divided them into pictures I took and pictures my wife took. Mine camera had better resolution than my wifes, though my wife surprised me with her own attention to detail as well. Both sets are decent.

Enjoy.

As an aside, I was dismayed at the lack of knowledge of the boat by the staff present there. Nobody could answer serious questions. Frankly, I think i knew more about the innards of that boat then they did, which is sad.

Arlo
11-11-11, 02:13 PM
So, both my wife and I took, *some* pictures of the USS bowfin in pearl harbor. Not all the pictures I took came out ok, so I removed them. End result is this isn't quite the photo walkthrough I wanted. Part of the problem was there was a crap ton of people walking through, and I couldn't get some of the shots I wanted because everyone kept getting in the way.

Instead, what I ended up with, is some detail shots of various portions of the boat. Honestly, about halfway through, i thought to myself in regards to picture taking "ive seen all this before a dozen times online". Which is true, I have, and I'm sure you ahve as well.

So instead of posting the usual photo expose that you've probably seen before, i decided instead to upload the raw pictures so you can appreciate the details better. Resizing said photo's for web viewing and you lose this.

So here's the D/L link:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20974379/bowfin_pics_7z (200 MB's of photos)

Windows picture viewer works fine. I divided them into pictures I took and pictures my wife took. Mine camera had better resolution than my wifes, though my wife surprised me with her own attention to detail as well. Both sets are decent.

Enjoy.

As an aside, I was dismayed at the lack of knowledge of the boat by the staff present there. Nobody could answer serious questions. Frankly, I think i knew more about the innards of that boat then they did, which is sad.

Thanks! Will definately dl and take a peek at these later. :DL

Daniel Prates
11-12-11, 02:16 PM
Part of the problem was there was a crap ton of people walking through

Yeah, damn tourists, eh? :D

kylesplanet
11-17-11, 01:16 PM
Great pics Ducimus. I'm getting inspired to start a new career soon. :yep:

CptChacal
11-17-11, 06:03 PM
Great pics.
In the mid-eighties, after playing Silent Service on the C64 and reading O'Kane's book, I visited USS Lionfish in Fall River, MA, and was mostly alone with a friend on the boat for more than an hour. Sadly, interesting areas such as the conning tower were closed with plexiglas and most hatches were padlocked (boy, did they know me).

They forgot a few things though, and I knew the layout pretty well, so I had my friend help me move aside a table in the crew's mess, and to his horror I opened a floor hatch and climbed down in the dry hold. I was surrounded by hundreds of spare parts sitting there since 1971, each in its greasy little cloth bag and meticulously tagged. There was a notice on the wall about handling ammo. I didn't linger, but was pretty happy about my find.

virtualpender
11-18-11, 11:09 AM
Great photos. Thanks, Ducimus.

I've visited the BOWFIN twice. The first time my experience with the crowds was the same. The second time, I decided to try and beat the throngs. The museum "officially" opens at 10am but one morning I showed up at 9am just to be first in line. They let me go aboard by myself and I had the run of the boat for 75 glorious minutes. I think I took something like 700 photos. If anyone else is planning a trip to Pearl, show up early!

I'm goin' down
11-18-11, 01:10 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures.