PDA

View Full Version : Qantas grounds all flights as industrial dispute escalates

TarJak
10-29-11, 07:40 AM
After 15 months of bitter wrangling with unions, Qantas CEO Allan Joyce today annouced the entire fleet would be grounded indefintately until the negotiations were settled. http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/airline-that-stops-a-nation-20111029-1mpgc.html

Oberon
10-29-11, 07:43 AM
Talk about upping the ante, this could break Qantas.

Jimbuna
10-29-11, 05:06 PM
Reading the linked article it would appear both sides are firmly entrenched in their respective positions.

The government may well have to enforce mandatory concilliation.

TarJak
10-29-11, 07:13 PM
It certainly appears that will be the way things will run if the Fair Work Commission of Australia does not put a termination to action in place at their hearing today.

They may determine that a suspension is all that is needed, but that just means things will heat up again after the suspenion is lifted.

I suspect that neither side really wants madatory arbitration though I suspect that may end up being the outcome.

Herr-Berbunch
10-29-11, 07:49 PM
Posted something to Oz a few of weeks ago, supposedly to take 5 working days but still no sign of it arrived - does anyone know if this could be related to Qantas' issues? :hmmm:

Jimbuna
10-29-11, 07:53 PM
Posted something to Oz a few of weeks ago, supposedly to take 5 working days but still no sign of it arrived - does anyone know if this could be related to Qantas' issues? :hmmm:

No...it means you forgot to put stamps on it ya daft bugga!! :DL

Torplexed
10-29-11, 08:02 PM
Talk about upping the ante, this could break Qantas.

Well, hopefully that'll finally satisfy that whiny little Koala Bear.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/11/22/129034317806863992.jpg

Herr-Berbunch
10-29-11, 08:03 PM
Definately got a stamp on it, I remember because it was something like £3.74 to go airmail (5 working days), or £3.70 to go by sea (56 days) - thought it was a no-brainer but looks like I could've been very wrong! :nope:

TarJak
10-29-11, 09:34 PM
Unlikely that this would have had anything to do with it. The most likely scenario is some theiving bugger has had it away with the contents. I swent Jim a package a year or so ago and it never arrived either.

Herr-Berbunch
10-30-11, 05:26 AM
I've sent stuff to Estonia and the US with no problem, just those thieving gits down under. You can take the boy out the penal colony... :damn:

BossMark
10-30-11, 05:35 AM
I've sent stuff to Estonia and the US with no problem, just those thieving gits down under. You can take the boy out the penal colony... :damn:
Once a thief always a thief :D

Jimbuna
10-30-11, 09:51 AM
Unlikely that this would have had anything to do with it. The most likely scenario is some theiving bugger has had it away with the contents. I swent Jim a package a year or so ago and it never arrived either.

Someone beat me to the 'penal colony' reference mate :DL

soopaman2
10-30-11, 10:18 AM
So when will the (Oz) government force them to operate due to economical issues? The elite abacus users are getting impatient, I am more than sure of that.

papa_smurf
10-30-11, 10:24 AM
Qantas ordered to resume flights after tribunal ruling

An independent tribunal in Australia has ordered a permanent end to the industrial dispute that has grounded all Qantas flights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15513219

Hopefully this will help stranded passengers, but still looks like both sides are deeply entrenched.