PDA

View Full Version : Question for NVidia users

Fubar2Niner
10-27-11, 03:19 AM
Hi shipmates.

I just downloaded and installed the new WHQL drivers (285.62) in preparation for BF3. Did a clean install removing any old driver remnants. Problem is now SH3 refuses to start, it crashes with a d3d9.dll error. If I revert to my old drivers (266.58) all is well. Anyone else experiencing this ?

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

irish1958
10-27-11, 08:59 AM
Hi shipmates.

I just downloaded and installed the new WHQL drivers (285.62) in preparation for BF3. Did a clean install removing any old driver remnants. Problem is now SH3 refuses to start, it crashes with a d3d9.dll error. If I revert to my old drivers (266.58) all is well. Anyone else experiencing this ?

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

I haven't updated yet; in general, I use the old drivers if I am satisfied with them and then update if there is a problem with a new program.
Will BF3 work well with your older driver?
You might check out: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3d9

Fubar2Niner
10-27-11, 10:28 AM
I haven't updated yet; in general, I use the old drivers if I am satisfied with them and then update if there is a problem with a new program.
Will BF3 work well with your older driver?
You might check out: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3d9

Hi Irish,

First thanks for responding, I have actually tried replacing the original .dll with a newer (6.1.7601.17514), however that was a complete no go. This is the latest I believe.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Brazzi
10-27-11, 05:22 PM
Yes, I updated my card with the same driver and none of my games worked after install. Reverted back to previous driver, all came back to normal.
Hi shipmates.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Fish In The Water
10-27-11, 07:09 PM
Yes, I updated my card with the same driver and none of my games worked after install.

Certainly inspires confidence doesn't it? :haha:

Makes you wonder what they're smoking over there in NVIDIA-land. :hmmm:

Fubar2Niner
10-28-11, 03:10 AM
Yes, I updated my card with the same driver and none of my games worked after install. Reverted back to previous driver, all came back to normal.

Welcome aboard Brazzi, I'm not quite as bad as that, at least ROF works with the new ones :yep:

@Fish

Whatever it is, I wished they'd send some this way mate :haha:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

ilvios
10-28-11, 05:08 AM
Is useful to know your nvidia video card model :-) No problem with gtx 580 under w7 hp 64bit

Fubar2Niner
10-28-11, 07:35 AM
Hi mate and welcome to subsim. My card is an evga 580 gtx with cooling back plate. OS win 7 64 bit.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

irish1958
10-28-11, 09:18 AM
Hi Irish,

First thanks for responding, I have actually tried replacing the original .dll with a newer (6.1.7601.17514), however that was a complete no go. This is the latest I believe.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Did you try loading the old *.dll from your previous driver with the new driver?
The problem is apparently a problem with the directX not functioning with your new driver in your setup.
It might be a Microsoft problem.

Fubar2Niner
10-29-11, 03:07 AM
Did you try loading the old *.dll from your previous driver with the new driver?
The problem is apparently a problem with the directX not functioning with your new driver in your setup.
It might be a Microsoft problem.

Hi mate.

I'm not quite following you there mate, would you mind elaborating for an old fool :yeah:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Jimbuna
10-29-11, 06:51 AM
I've an ATI card atm so no use to resolving your issue ...sorry.

irish1958
10-29-11, 08:05 AM
Yes; my point was that your old driver (recent driver) worked; instead of using the new driver with its d3d9.dll file, obtain an older d3d9.dll file from the last driver to work on your rig and replace the new d3d9.dll with that older file; or obtain an older one from the internet and use that.
Do you have directX10 or 9? The new driver is probably compatible with and optimized for directx10 so it could be a directX problem not a driver problem.
Again, if you older driver will work with BF3 you are probably better off using that driver.

Fubar2Niner
10-29-11, 08:22 AM
Yes; my point was that your old driver (recent driver) worked; instead of using the new driver with its d3d9.dll file, obtain an older d3d9.dll file from the last driver to work on your rig and replace the new d3d9.dll with that older file; or obtain an older one from the internet and use that.
Do you have directX10 or 9? The new driver is probably compatible with and optimized for directx10 so it could be a directX problem not a driver problem.
Again, if you older driver will work with BF3 you are probably better off using that driver.

Ok mate, I have another small question. I have four instances of the file on my C: drive. All four are in assorted windows directories, 2 oddly enough a sligthly smaller size than the other, tho all are dated the same; 20/11/2010.
Should I replace all these four options with an older *.dll ?

Thanks again for the help mate.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Fubar2Niner
10-29-11, 08:24 AM
I've an ATI card atm so no use to resolving your issue ...sorry.

No need to apologise Jim, can't please all the people all the time, as the saying goes :03:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Sandman_28054
10-29-11, 04:19 PM
I have been running an Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB for about 2-3 years without updates and in has never given me one minute of trouble.

Fish In The Water
10-29-11, 05:53 PM
Ok mate, I have another small question. I have four instances of the file on my C: drive. All four are in assorted windows directories, 2 oddly enough a sligthly smaller size than the other, tho all are dated the same; 20/11/2010.
Should I replace all these four options with an older *.dll ?

Thanks again for the help mate.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Windows normally calls on the .dll in the system directory unless you place one in the root game directory in which case it overrides the system library. If I were you, I'd try placing the 'old .dll' (which you know worked with SH3), in the main game folder and see if it loads up before changing all four files across your C drive. :yep:

Fubar2Niner
10-30-11, 03:29 AM
Windows normally calls on the .dll in the system directory unless you place one in the root game directory in which case it overrides the system library. If I were you, I'd try placing the 'old .dll' (which you know worked with SH3), in the main game folder and see if it loads up before changing all four files across your C drive. :yep:

Thanks for the input Fish, the thing is I already got the d3d9.dll that comes with the res fix in SH3 main dir. I'll try copying that to my C: see what happens. :yep: BTW I hvae tried running without the res fix in case you were wondering don't help tho :x

For anyone wondering why I updated the drivers in the first place. With anything less than the new or beta drivers, I have no ground textures in BF3 :damn:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Fish In The Water
10-30-11, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the input Fish...

No worries, happy to help... :DL

I was just looking through the Nvidia forums and this seems to be a very common issue right now. Case in point the following quote:

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:43 PM
I got an email response from Nvidia Customer Care about this issue, below is what they said to me:

Response Via Email (Ray)

10/27/2011 02:36 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your bug submission. This is a known issue that we are currently investigating. This is a top priority issue and we have a team of engineers working on the problem. We hope to have this fix in a future update as soon as we can.

Best regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

So they are definitely aware of the problem, but no time frame given for possible fix. I've been on a lot of message boards, done a lot of google searches, and this seems to be affecting 100% of the people that downloaded the 285.62 driver.The interim 'fix' (if we can call it that) is to rollback to the 285.38 beta driver which reportedly does work with BF3. For full details, please see this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=213923

Hang in there, hopefully a solution is coming soon! :sunny:

Fish In The Water
10-30-11, 05:52 AM
Just to clarify, in the previous post I meant to say most users are reporting the beta driver works with BF3 without any of the side effects, (such as blank video in WMP and issues with other games), that so many people are struggling with right now.

Hope that's a little clearer. :sunny:

irish1958
10-30-11, 11:53 AM
I have nothing to add. :oops:

BossMark
10-31-11, 05:22 AM
Yep same problem went back my old drivers and everything worked fine

Herr-Berbunch
10-31-11, 09:45 AM

That is more often the case with graphics drivers, install 'em, roll back, be happy. On the next release it'll all be super.

Fubar2Niner
10-31-11, 03:40 PM
Just to clarify, in the previous post I meant to say most users are reporting the beta driver works with BF3 without any of the side effects, (such as blank video in WMP and issues with other games), that so many people are struggling with right now.

Hope that's a little clearer. :sunny:

I have nothing to add. :oops:

That is more often the case with graphics drivers, install 'em, roll back, be happy. On the next release it'll all be super.

Thank you all for your input shipmates, espacially you Fish for trawling the INet. For what it's worth, I tried the Betas........ SH3 hates them too :wah: I also started investigating the nvid forums, the BF3 forums too. I have to say I'm not sure who is worse NVidia for releasing such a bad driver, or EA/Dice. Even the EA bods on the forums point to a epilepsy warning when asked for a detailed manual :damn:

Anyways I digress. After mucho frustration BF3 has been banished from my HD. Nvidia 266.58 drivers have been reinstalled and all is well with the world :D

SH3 might have it's hiccups, but I'll take them over a many times done FPS any day. Why did I buy BF3? I'm still banging my head trying to answer the same question :damn::damn::damn::damn:

Best regards and many thanks all.

Fubar2Niner

Fish In The Water
10-31-11, 06:45 PM
Anyways I digress. After mucho frustration BF3 has been banished from my HD. Nvidia 266.58 drivers have been reinstalled and all is well with the world :D

Glad you're sorted mate. While I can't claim to be an expert on BF3, I suspect I'm not going out on too much of a limb to suggest SH3 is probably the better game. :03: (Better in my mind anyway). So yes the sun should still rise tomorrow. :D

Couldn't agree more about Nvidia. Releasing a 'final' version of a driver in that state really makes you wonder. :nope: Sad days...

All the best and take care my friend! :sunny: