PDA

View Full Version : The Bungo Suido......

EricW
10-25-11, 03:43 PM
TMO 2.2
OTC for TMO w realistic scopes
Tokko's revenge
Show Air Contacts
100% realism (event cam on)

Late January '44

I had orders to patrol the East China Sea just N of Formosa for 4 days.......I spent almost 2 weeks in my patrol area with ZERO ship contacts. I've never seen such little action in that (usually) fruitful area. I DID see a lot of aircraft, but I'm quite sure that none detected me as I was never attacked (CRASH DIVE!!!!......WAIT- take a sounding first......we don't want to stick our bow in the mud, not much water here, :D).

ANYWAY......I got bored and patrolled up the Ryukyus to check out the main islands and actually caught a couple of medium tankers heading south from the straits and got them both, WOO HOOO!!! finally some action, but that was it......another week of patrolling outside the straits yielded nothing, and I radio'd back to Pearl looking for another assignment.
BIG MISTAKE!!!

Apparently some desk jockey thinks that photo's of the harbor traffic in the inland sea is worth possibly sacrificing my new boat and crew......since I'm already mostly there AND with a very helpful storm front that rolls in as I'm considering my recon mission, I set course for Bungo Pete. Under cover of the thick fog and rain squalls, I make the passage undetected and take cover in a bay across from the harbor that I need to photograph (they had GPS on the boats in '44, right? :03:). Now I just have to wait for the weather to clear and I'm a sitting duck, lol. The next next day dawns clear, perfect and dead calm. "Periscope depth.... rig for silent running......and PRAAAY, MEN". After about 10 hours of silent running, about 25 merchant and patrol contacts that I didn't dare go after, the boat was parked in front of the harbor and the recon was completed. Now for the hard part.......gotta get out alive. All it would take is one sharp-eyed air patrol to ruin everything as they can see a sub at periscope depth like you wouldn't believe. I had an unbelievable run of luck.....no patrols, sea or air. All I had to worry about were possible minefields and shore guns......
As night fell with the sub rising to decks awash for a little more speed I snuck out of The Bungo Straits with my classified film canisters intact and carrying a seriously inflated ego. :rotfl2:.

I know....pretty anti-climactic, but I had an adrenaline rush that lasted hours....:rock:

What a GAME!!!!

DeepSixNiner
10-25-11, 04:37 PM
What a post!

Thanks for sharing, mate! And a big bravo zulu for getting outta there. You're right about being spotted at periscope depth. It seems their always looking for you!

Cheers