PDA

View Full Version : Anger!!!

19Herr_Rapp86
10-24-11, 12:21 PM
So there I was stalking a Nip convoy in the luzon straight. Pitch black of night, rough seas, perfect setup. Convoy about 45 degrees starboard. Lowered my boat until the decks were awash and set ahead 2/3. A Jap destroyer passed by me at about 900 yards and never saw me! PERFECT!!! There in the pitch blackness loomed 3 Nippon Maru tankers, about 10,000 tons each, all right in a row. I have 6 torps left. Line up target one, fire tubes 1 and 2. Target 2 fire tubes 3 and 4. Target 3 fire tubes 5 and 6. All going well. Torps are going to hit about dead center give or take. PERFECT!!!!! But wait.... The convoy zigs!!!!!????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Torps miss on the port side of all three ships by a hair!! A HAIR!!!!! You couldn't have squeezed a razor blade between my torpedoes and the hull of the merchants!!!! :damn::damn::damn: Crash dive.... The crew, being disciplined as they are, just kept on doing their jobs diving the boat to 450 feet, while the Captain was cussing, swearing, and pitching a royal fit the rest of the trip back to Hawaii....

Daniel Prates
10-24-11, 12:38 PM
It seems they should have magnetically activated, being so close, but you know those torpedoes.. specially MK14s, up until 1943.

I just posted a thread on a similar situation, 'a question about deep runners'. Check it out. :up:

19Herr_Rapp86
10-24-11, 12:39 PM
Haha. I just did. I set them for contact though. :nope: A mistake that won't be happening again! MK14's..... Grrrr