PDA

View Full Version : Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!(Among Others...)

TFatseas
10-19-11, 01:19 AM
ZANESVILLE, Ohio — Dozens of exotic animals escaped Tuesday from a wild animal preserve that houses bears, big cats (http://www.latimes.com/topic/science-technology/science/zoology/cat-%28animal%29-T50023002.topic) and other beasts, and the owner was found dead there, said police, who shot several of the creatures and urged residents to stay indoors.

The fences had been left unsecured at the Muskingum County Animal Farm in Zanesville, and the animals' cages were open, police said. They wouldn't say what animals escaped but said the preserve had lions (http://www.latimes.com/topic/science-technology/science/zoology/lion-%28animal%29-ANSP000009.topic), wolves, tigers (http://www.latimes.com/topic/science-technology/science/zoology/tiger-%28animal%29-ANSP0000011.topic), giraffes, camels and bears. Bears and wolves were among 25 animals that were shot and killed, police said, and there were multiple sightings of exotic animals along a nearby highway.

"These are wild animals that you would see on TV in Africa," Sheriff Matt Lutz warned at a news conference.

He called the escaped animals "mature, very big, aggressive," but said a caretaker told authorities the preserve's 48 animals had been fed on Monday. Police were patrolling the 40-acre farm and the surrounding areas in cars, not on foot, he said, and were concerned that big cats and bears could be hiding.

"This is a bad situation," Lutz said. "It's been a situation for a long time."

Lutz said his office started getting phone calls about 5:30 p.m. that wild animals were loose just west of town on a road that runs under Interstate 70...Rest at link...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-ohio-exotic-animal-escape-20111019,0,2040741.story

Penguin
10-19-11, 06:18 AM
Looks like the Privateer household will have a variety of game on their bbq grill. :smug:

frau kaleun
10-19-11, 07:51 AM
This is all over the news here... very bizarre story. They are not saying (and probably don't know yet) how the owner was killed - if someone else killed him and let the critters out, or if he opened everything and then killed himself. They are saying that he had a criminal record and was just recently released from prison where he'd been for a year on a firearms charge... which makes me wonder, who was taking care of the animals and compound in his absence, and where are they now?

They have people from the Columbus Zoo on site and they are hoping that when more animals are sighted they can shoot them with tranquilizers and remove them without any more of them having to be killed. That will depend on the situation and how the animals react if they can get the tranqulizers in them - if they can't take them alive safely it will mean the critters will have to be killed instead as they are (obviously) making public safety the primary concern.

The public is being advised to stay indoors and stay in their cars if they are traveling through the area. Area schools have been closed. What a bizarre situation. I just hope it's not the work of someone who thought he/she was making some statement about animal rights... certainly doesn't justify the death of the owner and it didn't do the animals any favors either as unfortunately most of them will probably end up being killed. :nope:

Jimbuna
10-19-11, 08:48 AM
Looks like the Privateer household will have a variety of game on their bbq grill. :smug:

Well he certainly got one of the bears :DL

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUnPy97C4_frbMQO51Kxa2uaGlO_ZUa FFN0WCB2PdHKwvHa2gagvblJv7E

MothBalls
10-19-11, 03:31 PM
This is starting to make big headlines in the US now, mainly because the Sheriff ordered the animals killed on site and not tranquilized. The animal huggers are coming out of the woodwork.

Sheriff Matt Lutz said he personally gave the order to shoot the escaped animals, including grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, tigers and lions.

On Wednesday, Mr Lutz said police believe they have now accounted for all the animals but one wolf and monkey. The animals' owner, Terry Thompson, was found dead at the zoo, and police believe he killed himself.

Mr Lutz said a preliminary investigation suggested Mr Thompson left fences open at the farm. Officials said the "volatile situation" of animals escaping from the Muskingum County Animal Farm and the approach of nightfall on Tuesday had prompted the shoot-to-kill order.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15364027

Have nothing against the animals, feel bad for them, but have to go with the Sheriff on this one. Tough decision to make but I think he made the right one. If he didn't and someone got hurt it would have been worse. His job and priority is to protect the public and his officers, and he did what he had to do.

I don't understand why everyone is blaming the Sheriff instead of the guy who had the animals and let them loose before killing himself.

CaptainMattJ.
10-19-11, 06:51 PM
dont worry it shouldnt be hard to take down the lions.

i mean, if the 49ers could do it...

Platapus
10-19-11, 07:22 PM
Are the officials even trying to tranquilize the escaped animals?

I fully understand the justification for shooting them if they pose a threat. But I would like, when possible, for them to consider non-lethal ways also.

frau kaleun
10-19-11, 07:42 PM
It was a bit confusing this morning. They interviewed the sheriff and a zoo official at least twice each, and each time separately. The sheriff was adamant about shooting to kill. The zoo official talked only about tranquilizing them but with the safety of the humans involved being a top priority, the implication being that shooting to kill was a last resort. They definitely seemed to be on two different wavelengths which is probably understandable given their occupations and the different perspectives that necessarily come from that.

Granted it was still dark and most of the story unfolded overnight so I can see where just shooting on sight would have been the best option in that situation. I haven't had the news on to hear what happened with any animals they located after sunup.

RickC Sniper
10-19-11, 09:06 PM
The guy let them loose then offed himself.

"The animals killed included 18 rare Bengal tigers, 17 lions, eight bears, three mountain lions, a baboon and a wolf", the sheriff said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44964272/ns/us_news-life/#.Tp-BNLKCvPY
updated 1 hour 22 minutes ago.

What a tragedy.

TLAM Strike
10-19-11, 09:18 PM
Well he certainly got one of the bears :DL

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUnPy97C4_frbMQO51Kxa2uaGlO_ZUa FFN0WCB2PdHKwvHa2gagvblJv7E

He got a walrus too..
:hmmm:
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6964/ha8hk.jpg

August
10-19-11, 11:22 PM
What a tragedy.

Yes it really is a crying shame. :cry:

Madox58
10-20-11, 12:26 AM
It's sad they had to make the call to put the animals down.
:nope:

I agree with the decision based on public safety and past experiences with wild animals around my area.
We have had large Cats around here for the past few years and even a few Alligators that escaped into the nearby river!
:o
The gators died over the winter but were a VERY serious threat for some months.
I only know about the gators because it was a friend of mine that was raiseing them.
It was kept pretty hush hush or not news worthy enuff at the time?
:hmmm:
One of the large Cats dragged a deer into the rafters of another friends barn.
I've heard of bears being spotted from time to time also.
That has not been confirmed while all the other reports have been.

I use to walk the woods around my home armed only with a camera.
Those days are gone now.
I prefer to stay at the Top of the food chain myself.
:D

CCIP
10-20-11, 02:20 AM
Looking at the aerial view attached to that article also gives a better appreciation for the gravity of that whole scenario. Firstly the farm is a trash heap and the enclosures look horrible for keeping that number of animals. Secondly though, you can see that the place is right off the I-70, within running distance of town, lots of woods and homes/workplaces all around, lots of places to hide, a terrible risk to take if you left dangerous animals alive. It wasn't in the middle of nowhere, that's for sure.

So with that in mind, at least the original putting down of animals that they couldn't contain before darkness fell was a good call. They could've brought in someone to help capture the stragglers on the second day, but at the end... better safe than sorry.

It's a shame, but at the end it's not the sheriff who's to blame - all of this is on the dead man's conscience here.

Oberon
10-20-11, 06:33 AM
Bloody shame, but given the location there really wasn't any option of safely darting them, particularly in the night. Must have been terrifying for the locals, and why oh why did he have to have Bengal bloody Tigers, they're rare enough as it is! :nope:

The laws in Ohio need to change, definitely, we had such laws back in the sixties and you used to see people taking a panther down to the shops, thankfully we changed that...however that resulted in a lot of people just releasing their big cats into the wild where many still remain to this day.

Jimbuna
10-20-11, 07:10 AM
It's a shame, but at the end it's not the sheriff who's to blame - all of this is on the dead man's conscience here.

Rgr that.

soopaman2
10-20-11, 07:24 AM
dont worry it shouldnt be hard to take down the lions.

i mean, if the 49ers could do it...
:D

Are you saying we should send Gore, Smith, and Vernon Davis out there with shotguns?

We seem to play alot of teams named after birds...Maybe not such a good fit after all.:D

If I find the still missing monkey I am keeping it.

frau kaleun
10-20-11, 07:32 AM
According to local news the governor's office is now taking a second look at a proposed bill to tighten regulations on ownership of exotic animals in Ohio.

They are also saying that the owner in question here had a prior conviction for animal cruelty. He probably shouldn't have owned a dog, much less a compound full of exotic wildlife. :nope:

soopaman2
10-20-11, 08:56 AM
According to local news the governor's office is now taking a second look at a proposed bill to tighten regulations on ownership of exotic animals in Ohio.

They are also saying that the owner in question here had a prior conviction for animal cruelty. He probably shouldn't have owned a dog, much less a compound full of exotic wildlife. :nope:

The guy was known scum in the neighborhood. Local wack-job that every town has.(from my understanding)

I find the "bumpkin" policing in that area to be substandard. From what I been reading, this gentleman has been throwing off warnings for years.

His animals always escaped.(who the heck wants some jerks lion to eat your dog. I would kill him myself for messing with my dog)

There should be a law. A federal law. Yes bigger government, the dumb lib is at it again.:salute:

No exotic animals for morons. Unless you are a zoo, or an experienced entertainer (Like Sigfried and Roy for example) Yeah I know Roy got eaten, but no one in the crowd did, because there was experienced people there to handle it.

Who suffers the most from stuff like this, is the animals.

August
10-20-11, 09:20 AM
The guy was known scum

I understand the exact opposite. From what I hear he was a generous guy who loved animals. Most of the ones on his farm were rescues.

Herr-Berbunch
10-20-11, 09:27 AM
It's all very well rescuing animals, but once done they need proper accommodation and help, which they didn't get here. And who looked after them whilst he was doing time? :hmmm:

Sooperman2 - you don't want to kiss that monkey or you'll get a cold sore! :o

The department licenses only native speciesWell that clearly needs to change!

soopaman2
10-20-11, 09:31 AM
I understand the exact opposite. From what I hear he was a generous guy who loved animals. Most of the ones on his farm were rescues.

I only said that from what gathered on the relativiely early news sources.
I heard his animals tended to escape. (Imagine a lion in your backyard)

I use terms like I heard and from my understanding because we will never really know everything until it's over.
Damage control in case someone catches ebola from the monkey or something, or some kind of lawsuit saver (Thats why they shot first)

I guess we just have to wait and see. For now it seems the sheriffs are being cautious.

Madox58
10-21-11, 03:51 PM
The Gov of Ohio had a thing on TV a bit ago that addresses the Wild Animals issue.
I didn't watch that twit as I'd just as soon see him be a meal for a wild animal.
Or a starveing crackhead as far as that goes.
Hell! I'd be happy if he burst into a spontaneous ball of fire!!

Jimbuna
10-21-11, 03:58 PM
The Gov of Ohio had a thing on TV a bit ago that addresses the Wild Animals issue.
I didn't watch that twit as I'd just as soon see him be a meal for a wild animal.
Or a starveing crackhead as far as that goes.
Hell! I'd be happy if he burst into a spontaneous ball of fire!!

Or something of a similar elk :DL

Madox58
10-21-11, 04:06 PM
similar elk :DL

Badda Boom!
You gonna be here all weekend Jim?
:har:

Jimbuna
10-21-11, 04:09 PM
Badda Boom!
You gonna be here all weekend Jim?
:har:

At work tomorrow so I'll be around tomorrow night but back Sunday afternoon (GMT).

Madox58
10-21-11, 04:19 PM
At work tomorrow so I'll be around tomorrow night but back Sunday afternoon (GMT).
That should give you plenty of time to 'breed' a few more animal references.
:haha:

Jimbuna
10-21-11, 04:38 PM
That should give you plenty of time to 'breed' a few more animal references.
:haha:

LOL :03:

TarJak
10-21-11, 04:59 PM
I can't bear the punnery, lionising the tigerish behaviour of the Ohio police.

frau kaleun
10-21-11, 05:15 PM

You think they were bad? Just be thankful they didn't send in a panther division.

Madox58
10-21-11, 05:59 PM

I find your Apeish response deerly offensive!
I otter report you!
Hopefully our Ferret friend will deal with you.

I see your post as lion about the Ohio Police,
while asking us to bear with your weaselly additude!

TarJak
10-22-11, 01:12 AM
Mate! don't take a hard lion with me. Just grin and bear it.:O:

Jimbuna
10-22-11, 06:33 AM
I'd be lion if I didn't admit to monkeying around.

MothBalls
10-22-11, 01:37 PM
I'd be lion if I didn't admit to monkeying around.Is that what they're calling it nowadays?

Jimbuna
10-22-11, 04:58 PM
Is that what they're calling it nowadays?

Amongst other things :DL