PDA

View Full Version : No Jobs Bill, and No Ideas (Just for August)

Gerald
10-13-11, 09:35 AM
It was all predicted, but the unanimous decision by Senate Republicans on Tuesday to filibuster and thus kill President Obama’s jobs bill was still a breathtaking act of economic vandalism. There are 14 million people out of work, wages are falling, poverty is rising, and a second recession may be blowing in, but not a single Republican would even allow debate on a sound plan to cut middle-class taxes and increase public-works spending. The bill the Republicans shot down is not a panacea, but independent economists say it would have a significant and swift effect on the current stagnation. Macroeconomic Advisers, whose forecasts are often used by the Federal Reserve, said it could raise economic growth by 1.25 percentage points and create 1.3 million jobs in 2012. Moody’s Analytics estimated new growth at 2 percentage points and 1.9 million jobs. Those economists say that Republican ideas for increasing growth would have no measurable effects in the next year. The Republicans offer no actual economic plans, only tired slogans about cutting regulations and spending, and ending health care reform. The party seems content to run out the clock on Mr. Obama’s term while doing very little. On Tuesday, Mr. Obama’s campaign manager, Jim Messina, accused Republicans of trying to “suffocate the economy” in hopes that the pain would work to their political advantage. They are doing little to refute that charge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/opinion/no-jobs-bill-and-no-ideas.html?ref=opinion

Note: October 12, 2011

As a side note,this is a opinion page,so you are aware of this so no misunderstandings arise!

Oberon
10-13-11, 09:37 AM
In some countries this would be called Baiting :hmmm:

soopaman2
10-13-11, 09:49 AM
It was all predicted, but the unanimous decision by Senate Republicans on Tuesday to filibuster and thus kill President Obama***8217;s jobs bill was still a breathtaking act of economic vandalism. There are 14 million people out of work, wages are falling, poverty is rising, and a second recession may be blowing in, but not a single Republican would even allow debate on a sound plan to cut middle-class taxes and increase public-works spending. The bill the Republicans shot down is not a panacea, but independent economists say it would have a significant and swift effect on the current stagnation. Macroeconomic Advisers, whose forecasts are often used by the Federal Reserve, said it could raise economic growth by 1.25 percentage points and create 1.3 million jobs in 2012. Moody***8217;s Analytics estimated new growth at 2 percentage points and 1.9 million jobs. Those economists say that Republican ideas for increasing growth would have no measurable effects in the next year. The Republicans offer no actual economic plans, only tired slogans about cutting regulations and spending, and ending health care reform. The party seems content to run out the clock on Mr. Obama***8217;s term while doing very little. On Tuesday, Mr. Obama***8217;s campaign manager, Jim Messina, accused Republicans of trying to ***8220;suffocate the economy***8221; in hopes that the pain would work to their political advantage. They are doing little to refute that charge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/opinion/no-jobs-bill-and-no-ideas.html?ref=opinion

Note: October 12, 2011

As a side note,this is a opinion page,so you are aware of this so no misunderstandings arise!

The jobs bills stinks. I won't go into it here, I'm trying to behave.:salute:
I just wish the repubs riddled it with holes rather than start the filibustering mess again. Congresess approval rate is at an all time low. And we got downgraded because of partisan crap (I won't get into my opinions on the "rating agencies" either), and trying to put our economy so far down the toilet that they can get Obama out.

There's better ways Repubs. Convince the country you are a better fit. Instead they use legislative loopsholes to avoid, and delay. We aren't stupid and we see it. Why do you think enthusiasm for the Republican field is so low? Obama will win by default, and the in office repubs are handing to him.

It's a mess. We need some kind of unity now more than ever. And our elected officials want to play ego games with a large country.

AVGWarhawk
10-13-11, 09:50 AM
President Obama received a slap from members of his own party Tuesday as the Senate voted to block his $447 billion jobs package.

The jobs plan, which the president has spent much of the last month touting on a cross-country tour, fell well short of the 60 votes it needed to proceed.

The only Democrats to vote against the measure were Sens. Ben Nelson (Neb.) and Jon Tester (Mont.), but a number of other centrists in the party indicated they would vote against the package even though they supported launching a debate on the measure.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/senate-democrats-block-obama-jobs-bill_595753.html

Jimbuna
10-13-11, 09:56 AM
In some countries this would be called Baiting :hmmm:

Starting to make our lot look compitent and professional :o

August
10-13-11, 10:07 AM

Now if you'd only put your pasted text in quote tags like you've been asked... :hmmm:

Gerald
10-13-11, 10:14 AM
The issue is free, and just as the answer!

Sailor Steve
10-13-11, 10:49 AM
August is right. Every time I start to read one of these copy/paste jobs I want to ask if that's how you really feel. But it's not you, it's somebody else. So again, please put these in a quote box so we know your quoting somebody.

August
10-13-11, 10:52 AM
The issue is free, and just as the answer!

No comprendo mi amigo.

Gerald
10-13-11, 10:57 AM
‘ ’ or disambiguation...ya see

August
10-13-11, 11:04 AM
August is right. Every time I start to read one of these copy/paste jobs I want to ask if that's how you really feel. But it's not you, it's somebody else. So again, please put these in a quote box so we know your quoting somebody.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that we've already had trouble with reposting articles without permission. Quote tags might not prevent that from happening again but at least it'll show that an effort was made to credit the author.

mookiemookie
10-13-11, 11:06 AM
Exactly. Not to mention the fact that we've already had trouble with reposting articles without permission. Quote tags might not prevent that from happening again but at least it'll show that an effort was made to credit the author.

Good point. I agree. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't actually Vendor saying these things.

Gerald
10-13-11, 11:12 AM
Good point. I agree. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't actually Vendor saying these things. It has been difficult for me to believe, if I post a simple link from the original source, it should not be hard to understand but as you said those words, then I BELIEVE you Mookie.