PDA

View Full Version : Is the Tea Party Over?

Gerald
10-10-11, 10:21 PM
This was supposed to be the Tea Party’s time. The incumbent president the rebels despise so much seemed vulnerable. The Republican establishment was AWOL, leaderless or intimidated. So the angry, God-fearing, government-loathing populist insurgents rushed into the vacuum, fired up the town halls, helped put a halt to any compromising in Congress and basically commandeered the national debate. Then, for much of this year, they dominated the auditions for a presidential challenger. In a spectacle about as deliberative as speed-dating, candidate after candidate tried out for the role of Not Mitt Romney — including, at times, Mitt Romney. We had the Sarah Palin tease, replaced by the short-lived Michele Bachmann infatuation, after which everyone swooned, briefly, for Rick Perry. Herman Cain is having a little fling now, though even voters who like his style don’t think he can win. Rick Santorum, who is in some ways the moralizing social conscience of the Tea Party, and Ron Paul, who plays its geeky libertarian id, have settled into single digits and bit parts as debate foils. Newt Gingrich is the class cutup, blowing raspberries at journalists. To be fair, some of this unedifying scramble can indeed be blamed on the press corps. Special props go to the hyperactive political news sites that crave a fresh narrative every 15 minutes, even if it’s a sitcom like Donald Trump. And a hat tip to Fox News, which has helped trivialize the campaign by offering a platform to one not-ready-for-prime-time Republican semi-celebrity after another. On behalf of journalism, sincerest apologies for wasting so much of your time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/opinion/is-the-tea-party-over.html?src=me&ref=general

Note: October 9, 2011

August
10-11-11, 08:16 AM
Quoting the NYT about the Tea Party is like quoting the KKK about Black Americans. Vendor you really need to start improving your sources.

Tribesman
10-11-11, 08:28 AM
Use Fox as a source instead, then it would be like quoting the KKK on white supremacism

JU_88
10-11-11, 08:31 AM
Stop worrying about Tea Parties, Communists and terrorists, its all a bloody side show now.
Start worrying about weather or not any of us will have a pot to pee in this time next year, that is quite real.

Gerald
10-11-11, 10:38 AM
@August!

@Tribesman!

I could use me to the news service I want, at any given moment, and then the viewer, then readers do not like it, is up to each one, and not my responsibility, my responsibility is for posting, and not what you choose to read, you can easily choose another to read, it would be pretty, very easy to post news here that is not even in the media, but then it would be criticism "what is this has never heard of," etc. .. so the "Improvement" is not news "to post something to suit every taste is certainly optimal, but an impossibility with between 60,000 to 65,000 members, select what you want to read, easily!

soopaman2
10-11-11, 10:47 AM
The tea party is a viable party. They just allow the worse people to hijack it. The halfway quitter Palin, and the loony toon character Bachmann??

Cain fits them to a "t" (Tea?:D)

Would go along way to prove to far leftists who want to portray them as anti-negro, rather than anti Obama policies.

I spout alot of seemingly leftist crap here, but see myself more aligned towards TP beliefs. I just despise the spokespeople they choose to headline them, like they are going more for media shock value attention rather than campaigning on thier beliefs.

Aligning themselves to republicans is bad too. Too many Mitts and Texas Rickys... They should emerge to challenge the independant party. 2 party politics is no good. More choices, the harder government would have to work for the voters.

(I still have faith in our system)

mookiemookie
10-11-11, 10:50 AM
Vote Herman Cain! ""Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself."

That's a campaign slogan that's going to take him real far.

AVGWarhawk
10-11-11, 10:51 AM
I like Cain. :O:

Task Force
10-11-11, 10:55 AM
OH NO!!! don't tell me they ran out of tea bags!!!!:o

Maybe they should become the coffee party.

soopaman2
10-11-11, 10:55 AM
Vote Herman Cain! ""Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself."

That's a campaign slogan that's going to take him real far.

And seeing as he is the most viable Republican at this time just shows we are in for 4 more years of apologizing to muslim countries for being attacked, and pandering to hardliners like Boehner. (hence my 2 party system sucks comment)

I would respect him if he used his office like Bush, Clinton and Reagan did before... As a bully pulpit to pull the people on his side despite party affiliation.

August
10-11-11, 10:56 AM
@August!

@Tribesman!

I could use me to the news service I want, at any given moment, and then the viewer, then readers do not like it, is up to each one, and not my responsibility, my responsibility is for posting, and not what you choose to read, you can easily choose another to read, it would be pretty, very easy to post news here that is not even in the media, but then it would be criticism "what is this has never heard of," etc. .. so the "Improvement" is not news "to post something to suit every taste is certainly optimal, but an impossibility with between 60,000 to 65,000 members, select what you want to read, easily!

Are you telling me i can't recommend that you use less biased sources?

August
10-11-11, 11:03 AM
They should emerge to challenge the independant party.

They can't. The Tea Party is only a one issue organization. Government economic responsibility and that's it. Why do you think the Democrats keep trying to define them in other areas? The second the TP start adding planks on social and other issues they will fragment. The Dems know this and will do everything they can to muddy the waters.

Gerald
10-11-11, 11:04 AM
Are you telling me i can't recommend that you use less biased sources? It is clear that you can express your criticisms on any level, that post bias, I respect this, and have no immigration by either, which would in that case occurred before.

Osmium Steele
10-11-11, 11:09 AM
@I could use me to the news service I want, at any given moment, and then the viewer, then readers do not like it, is up to each one, and not my responsibility

Yes, but you have yet to post news.

You routinely post from the NYT Opinion page. That is not news.

August
10-11-11, 11:13 AM

You routinely post from the NYT Opinion page. That is not news.

I don't think he understands the difference.

Betonov
10-11-11, 11:22 AM
Looks like news to me

August
10-11-11, 11:23 AM
Looks like news to me

It says "Opinion" right at the top of the page.

Gerald
10-11-11, 11:24 AM

You routinely post from the NYT Opinion page. That is not news. "That is not news",it is something that will stand for you, there are reasons for this, which does not belong here, the BBC or any other on earth can be used to make a post, again, choose what you want to read, nothing could be easier."Yes, but you have yet to post news",your statement here, is not based on that I had to post news here on SubSim, there is a soul chosen decisions I have made before, and nothing that either Neal or someone else has said, there are no musts.

Gerald
10-11-11, 11:26 AM
I don't think he understands the difference. I understand the difference very well!

Betonov
10-11-11, 11:28 AM
Opinion posted in a media is still part of news and Vendor is only vending, like attacking that little kid at the street with the funny hat just because your team lost the other day

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KMTwZNm2ZxE/TePj6AtSKsI/AAAAAAAAI9I/WOHyhSyXqjc/s1600/extra.jpg

August
10-11-11, 11:45 AM
I understand the difference very well!

If really you do understand it then Neal should strip the "SUBSIM newsman" title from you because it's not news you are putting out but rather biased propaganda.

Osmium Steele
10-11-11, 11:49 AM
"That is not news",it is something that will stand for you, there are reasons for this, which does not belong here, the BBC or any other on earth can be used to make a post, again, choose what you want to read, nothing could be easier."Yes, but you have yet to post news",your statement here, is not based on that I had to post news here on SubSim, there is a soul chosen decisions I have made before, and nothing that either Neal or someone else has said, there are no musts.

If I caught the gist of your post, you are saying that you can use whatever source you wish and you chose to use the NYT opinion page.

If that is your meaning, I absolutely agree.

Simply realize that they NYT Opinion page is not news. It is propaganda.

Betonov
10-11-11, 11:55 AM
Like Vendor's got anything to gain by forwarding ''propaganda'' :roll:

And if the opinion would be from some rightist nutjob claiming the wall street protestors were national terrorist you would be sending Vendor packets of cherry schnaps :roll:

Send a letter to the author, not the vendor

Gerald
10-11-11, 11:57 AM
The question you may take with Neal, it was he who gave me the name,I know the difference between opinion and news just like you and I, personally see no obstacle in to post it, "the topic, "empathy" is taken from public opinion in NYT.....which I assume, you knew also.

August
10-11-11, 11:57 AM
Opinion posted in a media is still part of news and Vendor is only vending, like attacking that little kid at the street with the funny hat just because your team lost the other day

Sorry but opinions are not news. You might as well try to claim that comic section is news as well.

August
10-11-11, 11:58 AM
And if the opinion would be from some rightist nutjob claiming the wall street protestors were national terrorist you would be sending Vendor packets of cherry schnaps :roll:

Says you.

Betonov
10-11-11, 11:58 AM
Sorry but opinions are not news. You might as well try to claim that comic section is news as well.

Republican opinion IS the comic section :roll:

Betonov
10-11-11, 12:00 PM
Says you.

Says me and that's my opinion. And what are you going to do about it, write an opinion ?? :O:

August
10-11-11, 12:00 PM
Republican opinion IS the comic section :roll:

So what would you know? You're sitting in a former Soviet satellite country knowing nothing about how a free society operates and you presume to say crap like that?

Dowly
10-11-11, 12:03 PM
So what would you know? You're sitting in a former Soviet satellite country knowing nothing about how a free society operates and you presume to say crap like that?

Someone's having a bad day..

Morts
10-11-11, 12:07 PM
Someone's having a bad day..
you dont say :rotfl2:

Gerald
10-11-11, 12:08 PM
If I caught the gist of your post, you are saying that you can use whatever source you wish and you chose to use the NYT opinion page.

If that is your meaning, I absolutely agree.

Simply realize that they NYT Opinion page is not news. It is propaganda. Listen, I'm fully aware that they any postings are just opinions, if I choose something from them, some think that they contain a lot of propaganda, and partly they doing it, that I agree, but also "easy news" contains an indirect propaganda, and you will understand now, what I have said about this.

Betonov
10-11-11, 12:10 PM

Right, former Soviet satelite :roll: If your ability to ases biased from non-biased media news and opinions is the same as your knowledge of history than you're the one talking nonsense on this thread :O:

And it's tough in these opresive Slovenian regime :cry: I'm only allowed to publicly critisise my goverment 5000 times a day or less. Anything more than that and I get a verbal warning from a cop :cry: I'm so oppresed I want to emigrate to the nearest pub

Sailor Steve
10-11-11, 12:11 PM
:rotfl2: Good one! :rock:

STEED
10-11-11, 12:14 PM
http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/goebbels1b.jpg

"I'm back to tell it straight,baby".

August
10-11-11, 12:21 PM
Right, former Soviet satelite :roll: If your ability to ases biased from non-biased media news and opinions is the same as your knowledge of history than you're the one talking nonsense on this thread :O:

And it's tough in these opresive Slovenian regime :cry: I'm only allowed to publicly critisise my goverment 5000 times a day or less. Anything more than that and I get a verbal warning from a cop :cry: I'm so oppresed I want to emigrate to the nearest pub

So you resent people talking inaccurately about your country? Then perhaps you ought to see how that applies to you talk about ours.

The New York Times is biased. Their Opinion page is even more biased. Simple as. You can snivel and joke all you want but it isn't going to change that simple fact.

Osmium Steele
10-11-11, 12:22 PM
Like Vendor's got anything to gain by forwarding ''propaganda'' :roll:

<snip>

Send a letter to the author, not the vendor

The author, of the original post in this thread, was Vendor; and I do not question his motives, only the method.

If I were to routinely post opinion pieces from The Blaze, Breitbart, The Heritage Foundation blogs, etc. I would certainly not expect to be given a pass by the many members of this forum who may disagree with the posted opinions. (Not to mention I'd feel the need to take a hot shower afterward, despite what you may think)

As Vendor has stated, I believe, he retains the privilege to post as he wishes on this site, within the established rules.

He does not retain the privilege of being free from criticism from those who may disagree with his choice of source.

soopaman2
10-11-11, 12:25 PM
But Paul Krugman says we should spend our way out of this!
Frank Rich is a shill for the government in general.
Maureen Dowd is a beautiful redhead, unmarried fiftysomething, man hating and women-centric...You connect the dots
Bruni is a moron outright. The fella that resigned was way better.

Kinda work in NYC, this paper is always sitting on a train seat.

August
10-11-11, 12:25 PM
The author, of the original post in this thread, was Vendor; and I do not question his motives, only the method.

If I were to routinely post opinion pieces from The Blaze, Breitbart, The Heritage Foundation blogs, etc. I would certainly not expect to be given a pass by the many members of this forum who may disagree with the posted opinions. (Not to mention I'd feel the need to take a hot shower afterward, despite what you may think)

As Vendor has stated, I believe, he retains the privilege to post as he wishes on this site, within the established rules.

He does not retain the privilege of being free from criticism from those who may disagree with his choice of source.

This ^

Betonov
10-11-11, 12:29 PM
NEAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change Vendors title to Subsim news and opinions man, that should keep some people happy :shifty: Until Vendor makes a mistake and posts a weather forecast

And I'm off to the pub :D
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MdgguBTxcqI/TaehFkoyueI/AAAAAAAAAKE/kiTRUA-FcAE/s1600/immigrants.jpg

Tribesman
10-11-11, 12:32 PM
So you resent people talking inaccurately about your country?
I see no resentment in the post, lots of ridicule though.

Jimbuna
10-11-11, 12:33 PM
Can we all move on please....no rule violations have taken place and views and opinions are being debated at an acceptable level.

TIA

Gerald
10-11-11, 12:44 PM

He does not retain the privilege of being free from criticism from those who may disagree with his choice of source. I have never denied that take constructive criticism, and there is no one who has these privileges.

JU_88
10-11-11, 01:02 PM
Sorry but opinions are not news.

I hope you are not a Fox viewer then. :)

August
10-11-11, 01:06 PM
I hope you are not a Fox viewer then. :)

Not especially. Their only value is as a counterpoint to the other major media outlets. If they say the answer is negative 5 and ABC/NBC/CBS/etc say it's positive 5 then you can pretty much bet the true answer is zero.

Oberon
10-11-11, 02:30 PM
Not especially. Their only value is as a counterpoint to the other major media outlets. If they say the answer is negative 5 and ABC/NBC/CBS/etc say it's positive 5 then you can pretty much bet the true answer is zero.

Best way of describing Fox in relation to other American news outlets I've heard. I'd like to think that the BBC is impartial...but I've seen bias creeping in here and there, it's not as bad as ITV or Sky...but it's slipping.
Pretty soon the only way to get the news first hand without any editorial bias creeping in will be to be there yourself. If it's not already like that already. :nope:

soopaman2
10-11-11, 03:14 PM
Best way of describing Fox in relation to other American news outlets I've heard. I'd like to think that the BBC is impartial...but I've seen bias creeping in here and there, it's not as bad as ITV or Sky...but it's slipping.
Pretty soon the only way to get the news first hand without any editorial bias creeping in will be to be there yourself. If it's not already like that already. :nope:

I love to trash fox, but MSNBC is just as bad for the same reasons.
(I hope I word this correctly)
There seems to be a tendency to promote an opposition amongst the big medias. They seem to want to cater to the beliefs of their viewers, rather than reporting it in a objective a neutral way.

Both are guilty and are only shilling for their breadmaker of choice (advertising revenue, and political exclusives)