PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Brown signs 'California Dream Act' into law

kraznyi_oktjabr
10-10-11, 11:27 AM
The governor of California, Jerry Brown, has signed into law legislation allowing illegal immigrants to receive state aid to attend college.

Supporters of the California Dream Act, as it is called, say it will benefit the state economically.
However, critics argue that it condones entry into the US without proper documentation.

About 2,500 students are expected to qualify for grants under the new legislation.

Governor Brown, a Democrat, said the law would benefit the state by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and, he said, "the lives of all of us".

But, in a state with a huge immigrant population, critics say the law encourages the illegal immigration by granting access to state resources previously reserved for legal residents.

Opponents of the law add that it should not have been passed without major overhaul of America's immigration rules.

California's last governor, the Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger, refused to sign the legislation.

SOURCE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15231104)

Last updated 9 October 2011 at 05:04 GMT

AVGWarhawk
10-10-11, 11:33 AM
However, critics argue that it condones entry into the US without proper documentation.

I agree.

About 2,500 students are expected to qualify for grants under the new legislation.

Which will screw 2500 legal tax paying citizens.

Governor Brown, a Democrat, said the law would benefit the state by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and, he said, "the lives of all of us".

Remains to be seen.

But, in a state with a huge immigrant population, critics say the law encourages the illegal immigration by granting access to state resources previously reserved for legal residents.

Yes it does. Why not give full access to all. :doh:

Opponents of the law add that it should not have been passed without major overhaul of America's immigration rules.

Never should be passed at all. In Maryland, it is on hold for the people to decide at next election. Petitions work.

nikimcbee
10-10-11, 01:16 PM
Glad I don't pay taxes there. But I hear they will hunt Ducimus down.:haha:

krashkart
10-10-11, 01:30 PM
But I hear they will hunt Ducimus down.:haha:

They better be careful. I heard that he single-handedly took out an entire North Korean armored brigade with nothing more than a mallet and a pack of cheap American-made shims. :03:

soopaman2
10-10-11, 02:05 PM
So this is some kind of tuition break for anchor babies? Wow. And they call the NE USA too liberal.

You out in Cali know what an anchor baby is. silly gooses! And you got prisons full of them...*sigh*

Now you can be like Mr. Rick Perry in Texas and give Illegals the fast track, while Americans just have to settle for protesting on wall street with overwhelming debt.

Affirmative action benifits these illegals as well. Holy crackers this country is screwed.

Job openings in Canada?

AVGWarhawk
10-10-11, 02:40 PM

I think Ducimus has left the state.

Jimbuna
10-10-11, 02:59 PM

LOL :DL

mookiemookie
10-10-11, 03:02 PM
Why they give breaks to non-citizens when we have plenty of citizens who need one is beyond me. Stupid, stupid thinking.

Jimbuna
10-10-11, 03:19 PM
Loads of votes at election time perhaps? :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
10-10-11, 03:20 PM
I think Ducimus has left the state.
He has. That's why they have to hunt him down.

AVGWarhawk
10-10-11, 03:52 PM
Loads of votes at election time perhaps? :hmmm:

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep: :yep::

Jimbuna
10-10-11, 03:56 PM
:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep: :yep::

Does this make me an 'expert'on US political debates? :O:

nikimcbee
10-10-11, 04:01 PM
Why they give breaks to non-citizens when we have plenty of citizens who need one is beyond me. Stupid, stupid thinking.

OMG, the end is near.:hmmm::haha:

Don't be a racist, hater Mookie. So if we agree on this point, what else is possible to agree on?:hmmm:

nikimcbee
10-10-11, 04:02 PM
Does this make me an 'expert'on US political debates? :O:

With >56k posts, you're bound to get one right.:yeah:

vienna
10-10-11, 04:20 PM
Actually, the law gives no preference to the illegals; it just gives them access to state educational grants. They still have to meet all the requirements of any other legal citizen of California in applying for the grants and being approved for the grants and they must meet the same requirements for acceptance to a state university. I am not totally clear on whether the illegals can only be accepted after other legal citizens have had the chance to be offered entry first or if their applications are just mingled with all the others and judged soley on merit; the descriptions of the law given in the media are unclear and I have not had a chance to read the actual bill...

As a related development, Gov. Brown vetoed another bill presented to him that would have allowed the state university system to use race, ethnicity, gender, etc. in weighing an applicant's admission to a state university. Brown said that although he supports affirmative action, he feels that the separation of powers mandates the matter be settled in the court system and not through backdoor legislation...

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/10/jerry-brown-vetoes-bill-to-let-colleges-consider-race-gender.html

BTW, I do not support "affirmative action" as it applies to university admissions nor do I support the extension of grant privileges to illegal aliens; I just thought I'd add a little bit of clarification on the law and also on how one goal of the illegals was given (the "Dream Act") and one goal was taken was taken away (the veto of backdoor "affirmative action")...

Jimbuna
10-10-11, 06:04 PM
With >56k posts, you're bound to get one right.:yeah:

Bastid http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8586/smacka1.gif

nikimcbee
10-10-11, 06:15 PM
Bastid http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8586/smacka1.gif

:haha::Kaleun_Goofy:

kraznyi_oktjabr
10-10-11, 06:21 PM
Bastid http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8586/smacka1.gif:rotfl2:Jim, where you get those magnificent smileys?

Bubblehead1980
10-11-11, 12:34 AM
what garbage, really do have some trash holding various offices in America

Jimbuna
10-11-11, 06:55 AM
:rotfl2:Jim, where you get those magnificent smileys?

Usually from the nets but I've animated some myself.