August
10-05-11, 06:47 PM
Just in. Pancreatic cancer.

nikimcbee
10-05-11, 06:54 PM
Just in. Pancreatic cancer.
ok Vendor:D

In before Vendor.

That's too bad. I wonder how apple will do w/o him? If I recall, he was the one who revived apple.

Atleast he doesn't have to suffer anymore from the cancer.

AVGWarhawk
10-05-11, 06:57 PM
That is a shame. RIP. His last photo he did not look good at all. Cancer sucks man. Lost my in-laws to it. One at age 50 and the other 54.

nikimcbee
10-05-11, 07:03 PM
If I recall, pancreatic cancer has really weird symptoms (not obvious ones). So by the time you catch it, it's too late.

Takeda Shingen
10-05-11, 07:10 PM
Wow. That was very fast, at least in relation to his stepping down. While I do not care for Apple's products, Jobs was indeed a corporate visionary. May he rest in peace.

Skybird
10-05-11, 07:12 PM
If this is innovative advertising, then I think this time he exaggerated it.

Biggles
10-05-11, 07:16 PM
Wow, I knew he resign due to health problems but I didn't think it was that bad...

Rest in Peace, you intelligent man you.

Syxx_Killer
10-05-11, 07:17 PM
Wasn't he the one that unveiled the new iPhone the other day? Either way, this was sudden. May he RIP.

Castout
10-05-11, 07:21 PM
Just 56. Glad it was an interesting life. RIP.

CaptainHaplo
10-05-11, 07:36 PM
While not a fan of his creations, a human soul has left this plane and moved onward.

May his family find peace, and may his soul find shelter in the hand of the Creator.

frau kaleun
10-05-11, 07:41 PM
Wow, I guess it shouldn't be that much of a shock, but as Biggles said, I didn't realize how bad things must've gotten by the time he resigned. And still pretty young too, very sad.

And I think the statement about pancreatic cancer is probably correct, I've known of a few other people who've been diagnosed with it and it always seems like by the time there are enough symptoms to prompt someone to seek help, it's already too far along for them to do much of anything about it. A real shame when that happens.

Torplexed
10-05-11, 07:42 PM
In addition to Apple, he also was the founder of the Pixar animation studio.

RIP

Lord_magerius
10-05-11, 07:51 PM
So much for an apple a day...

frau kaleun
10-05-11, 07:55 PM
In addition to Apple, he also was the founder of the Pixar animation studio.

I honestly did not know that. And if it is indeed the case then he's certainly responsible in part for bringing a lot of smiles and laughs into my life over the years. RIP indeed.

CaptainHaplo
10-05-11, 07:56 PM
He did not found Pixar, he bought the studio from Disney prior to "Finding Nemo".

Torplexed
10-05-11, 07:57 PM
I guess now we'll never find out why 1984 was never like "1984".

http://mdia4015.edublogs.org/files/2010/08/441_30_1984-Apple-launches-the-Mac-with-a-1-5m-commercial-aired-during-the-Superbowl.jpg

Torplexed
10-05-11, 07:59 PM
He did not found Pixar, he bought the studio from Disney prior to "Finding Nemo".

Actually he bought it from LucasArt for 10 million, renamed it and later teamed up with Disney. The studio was a bit of a money pit until Toy Story came out in 1995. Disney bought Pixar in 2006 at a valuation of $7.4 billion. The transaction made Jobs the largest shareholder in Disney.

CaptainHaplo
10-05-11, 08:05 PM
I stand corrected. I knew he bought it and got the buyers from and buyers to mixed up. Thanks!

Still sad to see him go. May not have liked his stuff - but he was a very creative man.

Torplexed
10-05-11, 08:10 PM
I stand corrected. I knew he bought it and got the buyers from and buyers to mixed up. Thanks!

I've always wondered how much George Lucas regretted letting it go. A factor contributing to Lucas' sale was an increase in cash flow difficulties following his 1983 divorce, which coincided with the sudden drop off in revenues from Star Wars licenses following the release of Return of the Jedi and the disastrous box-office performance of Howard the Duck. :D Howard the Duck.....if ever a film deserved to die it was that one.

Syxx_Killer
10-05-11, 08:16 PM
Howard the Duck.....if ever a film deserved to die it was that one.

That and TerrorVision (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092074/). :D:doh:

CaptainHaplo
10-05-11, 08:18 PM
I've always wondered how much George Lucas regretted letting it go. A factor contributing to Lucas' sale was an increase in cash flow difficulties following his 1983 divorce, which coincided with the sudden drop off in revenues from Star Wars licenses following the release of Return of the Jedi and the disastrous box-office performance of Howard the Duck. :D Howard the Duck.....if ever a film deserved to die it was that one.

Bite your tongue - Howard the Duck was one of the best movies EVER!

Lea Thompson...... YUMMY

Dang movie made me wish I was a duck!

Torplexed
10-05-11, 08:21 PM
Bite your tongue - Howard the Duck was one of the best movies EVER!

Lea Thompson...... YUMMY

Dang movie made me wish I was a duck!

Okay...maybe it had one redeeming feature. :O:

http://www.protozoic.com/content/image/2009/03/howard.jpg

breadcatcher101
10-05-11, 10:07 PM
I read up on him today. Really an interesting life he had especially how he started out in his line of work with HP. Seemed to take him awhile to find himself but when he did he really took off. He will be missed and remembered for a very long time.

August
10-05-11, 10:30 PM
I'm not one of those Apple pod people but the first personal computer I ever used was an Apple IIe. The first real computer game I ever played was on a Macintosh Plus.

Onkel Neal
10-06-11, 02:17 AM
Terrible news. Steve was the Edison of our time. RIP.

mr chris
10-06-11, 03:04 AM
May he R.I.P
A visionary who certainly changed some aspects of how we go about are lives today.

Alex
10-06-11, 03:07 AM
If this is innovative advertising, then I think this time he exaggerated it.:har:

joea
10-06-11, 03:23 AM
Wasn't he the one that unveiled the new iPhone the other day? Either way, this was sudden. May he RIP.
No that was Tim Cook the new CEO. Phil Schiller actually introduced the products.

Steve Jobs had already stepped down awhile back due to health issues. Cancer is a bitch and I am surprised he lived this long. My condoleances to his family first - both Steves (Steve Wozniak) and Bill Gates changed all out lives.

Respenus
10-06-11, 03:24 AM
I don't wish to sound callous, yet I do not consider Steve Jobs as a great innovator of our time, at least when recent history is taken into account. It's true that Apple is one of the great PC companies and that the first Mac did change a lot, but Apple has, under his leadership, changed into a giant hell bent on control, while offering over-priced products, developing an almost cult of personality-type marketing. One of his patents has the intent of stopping a user from enjoying the product by making him actively respond to an advertisement. He was good, in the past, but perhaps it was high time for him and his ideas to leave the business world.

And of course, RIP.

JU_88
10-06-11, 03:27 AM
Also not huge fan of Apple, I believe they sell more off the back of their trendy brand name and legacy more than anything else
- but none the less R.I.P Mr Jobs. I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone :nope:

joea
10-06-11, 03:30 AM
Respensus I respectfully think you're wrong can we leave all this elsewhere? I have a PC but have never trashed Mac or Linux. MS, Google and the worst, Facebook have all done unethical things, nuff said.

Respenus
10-06-11, 03:37 AM
Respenus I respectfully think you're wrong can we leave all this elsewhere? I have a PC but have never trashed Mac or Linux. MS, Google and the worst, Facebook have all done unethical things, nuff said.

Yes, of course. I meant no disrespect and nor did I wish to thrash Apple and Steve Jobs, as I realise other companies are just are bad, if not worse. I just wanted to point out, that the mere fact of him dying shouldn't blind us from the complete facts.

That being said, I'll keep my fingers away from his thread.

Skybird
10-06-11, 05:06 AM
I just wanted to point out, that the mere fact of him dying shouldn't blind us from the complete facts.
My thoughts exactly. But they are not welcomed, experience tells.

Jobs was no saint, but a human. He showed light, and also plenty of shadow - he introduced new handling ergonomcis in cellphones that indeed were visionary, but he also showed new ways to implement and harden monopolic business structures and how to leave customers no choice. He did presentations that many people saw as some of the best entertainment on the planet - but he also was known for being very rude, irascible, arrogant, impatient, excentric, pretentious, bossy. He delivered the show, but beside that opportunity let journalists feel that he thought of them as dirt, treating quite some of them as that.

Not just light or shadow - light AND shadow. I think it does better honour to a dead person to not glorify him, but to see him as what he has been.

Some fools in German newspaper comment sectiosn compare him to Mozart or daVinci. I feel just pity for such commentators. Jobs was a clever businessman and a designer inventing some new looks and handling concepts. That'S it, not more, not less. Put him at rest in peace. But stop glorifying him.

papa_smurf
10-06-11, 05:10 AM
Not a fan of Apple, but he was a innovator/entrepreneur.

Jimbuna
10-06-11, 06:11 AM
Far too young...RIP Sir.

Sgt_Raa
10-06-11, 09:29 AM
yes...

Ria
10-06-11, 09:54 AM
RIP

sidslotm
10-06-11, 10:00 AM
Not a fan of Apple, but he was a innovator/entrepreneur.

is right.:up:

Sailor Steve
10-06-11, 10:31 AM
Nope, another case of Apple branding something, and claiming they invented it.
Oops, another case of someone posting without reading the thread. We've allready had that discussion.

Sailor Steve
10-06-11, 10:43 AM
Bah, replied to the first post that brought up the issue. What would have me do, finish reading the thread then go back and delete my reply ?
Not at all. Just pointing it out.

August
10-06-11, 11:21 AM
Bah, replied to the first post that brought up the issue. What would have me do, finish reading the thread then go back and delete my reply ?

Hey don't take it personally, we all do it from time to time, but we should all try to read the entire thread (the unread messages) before commenting.

It is irritating when others have to read the same questions and comments over and over again even when they have been already addressed in the thread.

Torplexed
10-06-11, 07:38 PM
Well, I see that the attention whores at Westboro Baptist Church have decided that Jobs' funeral is going to be the site of one of their idiotic demonstrations.

They put out a tweet citing Steve Jobs' lack of religious faith. Ironically, the tweeting was done with an iPhone.

magicstix
10-06-11, 08:02 PM
Speaking of irony, anyone else find it ironic that the Wall Street protesters who hate "corporate greed" are some of the first to be mourning the death of Steve Jobs, creator of one of the most evil corporations of all time?

mookiemookie
10-06-11, 08:04 PM
Speaking of irony, anyone else find it ironic that the Wall Street protesters who hate "corporate greed" are some of the first to be mourning the death of Steve Jobs, creator of one of the most evil corporations of all time?

Where was this?

frau kaleun
10-06-11, 08:32 PM
Where was this?

Well, I got it from the same place I get all my important news: the Cheezburger Network. :O:

http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/10/06/funny-facebook-fails-hypocrisy-at-the-wbc/

http://cheezfailbooking.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/wbcjobs.jpg?w=500&h=253

razark
10-06-11, 08:33 PM
Well, I see that the attention whores at Westboro Baptist Church...
Sadly, one of the first thoughts that I had when I heard was "How long until WBC announces a protest?"
:nope: