PDA

View Full Version : Japan to go Whale hunting using $30mill bailout by the Jpn govt

danny60
10-01-11, 06:28 AM
Announced by ABC in Australia and Asahi News in Japan, the Japanese government is to spend US$30 million to subsidize their ailing whaling fleet in sending them to Antarctica. The announcement was made from the Prime Minister, who stated that Japan would not be bowing to the pressure from conservation groups.

It was reported several months ago that the ICR was on the brink if bankruptcy, due to dropping demand for whale meat. Last year, consumption of whale product dropped some 50%, and this year, the slide has continued. This is despite that fact that the ICR has conducted several high profile promotional campaigns within Japan, and that they have steadily reduced the per kilogram price in an effort to stimulate demand. Japanese consumers it seems, are turning away from whale meat, and the ICR has struggled to stem the flow of red ink from their balance sheet.

In one last effort, the ICR asked the government for a $40m bailout to allow them to survive. Many in Japan speculated that the government, under enormous pressure to rebuild their economy after the combined effects of the Earthquake and Tsunami, would let the whaling company go under.

Today's announcement is an emphatic sign that Japan intends to continue to sponsor and support their contentious research whaling program despite its unpopularity with other countries. Japan takes a very long term view on many issues, and their fisheries and whaling is no exception. It is possible that Japan sees merit in ensuring the survival of their whaling business as a long term strategy, despite it upsetting many of their trading partners in the short term.

Negativity towards Japan has grown in recent times with their refusal to halt the Antarctic research whaling program. This was tempered somewhat after the earthquake, with many countries sympathetic to Japan and their challenge in rebuilding their ravaged economy. Japan willingly accepted generous overseas donations to help them rebuild, and yet now they spend tens of millions of dollars subsidizing a dying industry that infuriates many countries, including New Zealand, Australia and the US.

No mention is made of how Japan will get around the new IMO MARPOL regulations which require the vessels to be double skinned in Antarctica. None of the whaling fleet, nor any of the protest fleet for that matter, can legally enter Antarctic waters. With no enforcement of maritime law evident in Antarctica however, it seems unlikely anything meaningful will be done. Antarctica in recent times has descended into the wild west in terms of maritime law enforcement.

An interesting sub plot in this, Koji Sekimizu of Japan is the new chief of the IMO, and it would set a double standard if he were to tolerate transgressions in IMO law by Japanese vessels in Antarctica, and yet police the laws elsewhere.

I've read somewhere that Japan plans to send armed "coasties" down to antarctica to protect their whaling fleet, however, I thought that there was a IMO regulation preventing any firearm over .50 to be carried down into the ATZ, and any weapon that was carried down had to be stowed below?

Source : http://www.facebook.com/notes/pete-bethune/struggling-japan-finds-30-million-to-subsidize-whaling-in-antarctica/10150389973365867

Platapus
10-01-11, 09:03 AM
I don't think Japan is too particularly concerned with what the laws say.

danny60
10-01-11, 10:12 AM
Its looks that way. Mind you, SSCS Aren't that concerned with them either...

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
10-01-11, 11:13 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-12/japan-fisheries-flags-whaling-end-am/2836118

SSCS is one of the reasons the program continues. If they just leave well-enough alone, the program's cost might have driven it under, but they turn it into a terrorist issue.

danny60
10-01-11, 03:06 PM
Personnaly, I don't think SSCS are terrorists, Although The way they conduct things doesn't help.
I also doubt the program would have gone bust if SSCS had simply "let them be", as the program makes money from selling whale meat, but because SSCS prevent them from catching whales in the first place, they have less meat to sell, thus reducing profit.
But anyway, I'm not going to get into politics, as politics and this forum generally don't mix that well :nope:

kraznyi_oktjabr
10-01-11, 03:20 PM
I'm a bit radical in this subject but if I could I would arrange small torpedo firing exercise in Antarctic waters...

Its really good thing that I'm not in charge of any subforce.

magicstix
10-01-11, 03:36 PM
Glad they're keeping this industry afloat. I loves me some delicious Minke whale.

Madox58
10-01-11, 05:55 PM
Call it research all you want.
It's still killing a species that is in danger of vanishing.
As I recall, the Nazi's called somethings 'research' also.
So what if some random group started sinking the Whaleing Fleet and called it 'research'?

Any bets on who would raise a total fit and call it murder?

magicstix
10-01-11, 06:03 PM
So what if some random group started sinking the Whaleing Fleet and called it 'research'?

This thread has officially been Godwinned.

Jimbuna
10-01-11, 06:10 PM
Well I certainly hope their latest venture is a failure.

Sailor Steve
10-01-11, 06:11 PM
This thread has officially been Godwinned.
And in fairly short order, too. :sunny:

Madox58
10-01-11, 06:21 PM
I have no idea what "Godwinned" means.
Nor do I care.
What I do care about is murder dismissed as 'research'.
One will cry about takeing out a scumbag with a missle but not even look at the whole sale slaughter of an intelligant species being supported by a government with massive amounts of money!
:nope:

Talk about misplaced priorities!

magicstix
10-01-11, 06:34 PM
I have no idea what "Godwinned" means.
Nor do I care.
What I do care about is murder dismissed as 'research'.
One will cry about takeing out a scumbag with a missle but not even look at the whole sale slaughter of an intelligant species being supported by a government with massive amounts of money!

Talk about misplaced priorities!

Godwin's law.

It's somewhat disingenuous to call the harvesting of whales for food "murder."

I assume you're not Vegan. What right do you have to tell another person what animals are and are not acceptable to eat?

You can't play the "intelligent" card, as this is a subjective opinion. Horses, dogs, pigs, cattle all show intelligence, many to the point of self awareness, and all are eaten. They aren't intelligent enough to avoid winding up on the dinner plate.

Madox58
10-01-11, 06:42 PM
Where did I say you could not eat what you want?
IF it was admitted that the killing of Whales was for food?
I'd talk a different talk Mate.
BUT it's called 'research'!
Call it what you want? But at least have the guts to call it what it is.
If you want whale for food?
Get off your arse and hunt it down yourself and I'll repect that.
But a Govt dumping huge amounts of money into this so called 'research' is BS to the nth degree!!

magicstix
10-01-11, 06:47 PM
Where did I say you could not eat what you want?
IF it was admitted that the killing of Whales was for food?
I'd talk a different talk Mate.
BUT it's called 'research'!
Call it what you want? But at least have the guts to call it what it is.
If you want whale for food?
Get off your arse and hunt it down yourself and I'll repect that.
But a Govt dumping huge amounts of money into this so called 'research' is BS to the nth degree!!

So a government subsidizing a food production industry and calling it by a different name to allow it to operate under a loophole in an international treaty that uses politics to deny countries their sovereign rights to carry out sustainable harvests is on the same level as Nazis and is "murder?"

Yet it's OK for them to carry this out and is no longer murder or Nazism if they just call it "food harvest" in your opinion?

Forgive me if I'm confused.

Madox58
10-01-11, 06:57 PM
Yes it's confuseing isn't it?

I won't get into an argument over my feelings about whales and hunting them.

You feel as you do.
I feel as I do.

And that's all I have to say about that.
"Forest Gump"

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
10-01-11, 09:08 PM

Well, it isn't as far as we can tell, at least at the current rate of "research". If the whales really were running out our researchers will be running out of things to research and they aren't.

Given that, the only reason for stopping it is really invalid and it is really the other countries that are being unobjective about this issue.