PDA

View Full Version : An End to British Aircraft?

Jimbuna
09-27-11, 07:49 AM
Terrible news for the British aircraft industry :nope:

BAE Systems confirms plans to cut nearly 3,000 jobs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15073105

Oberon
09-27-11, 07:53 AM
Aye, I just heard about that on the news, terrible news not just for the British aircraft industry but also for the entire area, there's a lot of employment at BAE. I imagine that if it weren't for the Type 45, Lizzie CV and Astutes that Barrow would be feeling the butchers blade too.
And it's always at the ground floor... :damn:

kraznyi_oktjabr
09-27-11, 08:02 AM
Maybe there is need for another round of industry nationalization. :hmmm:

Like they did with airline business before this globalization and over free market hassle...

Jimbuna
09-27-11, 08:17 AM
Maybe there is need for another round of industry nationalization. :hmmm:

Like they did with airline business before this globalization and over free market hassle...

Not under Tory rule...they are sellers not collectors.

sidslotm
09-27-11, 09:25 AM
Something is wrong in England, it's been that way since the war ended.
I believe the rot started in the 60s, why, I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6sGQqB7og

Oberon
09-27-11, 11:23 AM
Something is wrong in England, it's been that way since the war ended.
I believe the rot started in the 60s, why, I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6sGQqB7og

One of the biggest crimes in modern British history that... :nope:

MH
09-27-11, 11:29 AM
Common UK you don't need big guns do you?
Make more of your great hi fi systems instead and make them cheaper:haha:.

sidslotm
09-27-11, 01:00 PM
One of the biggest crimes in modern British history that...

Yeah, thats right, Mountbatten was involved, along with Labour.

I worked in engineering all my life until I was 50, one of the big big problems engineering had was that people did not work hard enough. The multinational I worked for invested in new machine tools costing a million each, but the amount of time they were idle was unbelievable, combined with the incomes the people where earning. So I was not supprised to hear the machine tools were shipped to Czechoslovakia and now working out there.

MH
09-27-11, 01:19 PM
Yeah, thats right, Mountbatten was involved, along with Labour.

I worked in engineering all my life until I was 50, one of the big big problems engineering had was that people did not work hard enough. The multinational I worked for invested in new machine tools costing a million each, but the amount of time they were idle was unbelievable, combined with the incomes the people where earning. So I was not supprised to hear the machine tools were shipped to Czechoslovakia and now working out there.

I don't know much about British MI but as far as recall Britain gave up on military aviation development in favor of ballistic missiles during cold war around 60s.
The option of getting American armament contributed to this too.
The eurofighter project as ambitious as it is seems not very cost effective and possibly getting somewhat outdated.

BossMark
09-27-11, 01:40 PM
Bloody rotten lousy Tories are totally destroying our once great country:nope:, not much more I can say on the subject without getting a warning :nope:

papa_smurf
09-27-11, 01:42 PM
Yet another sad day for British manufacturing, we can but hope that orders for the Euro fighter pick up soon.

Wreford-Brown
09-27-11, 01:44 PM
I don't know much about British MI but as far as recall Britain gave up on military aviation development in favor of ballistic missiles during cold war around 60s.
The option of getting American armament contributed to this too.
The eurofighter project as ambitious as it is seems not very cost effective and possibly getting somewhat outdated.

1965, when the TSR2 was cancelled. The TSR2 filled the criteria that were eventually met by the Tornado, but the Tornado didn't appear until 1979 so the UK used Buccaneers and Phantoms to fill the gap. A(nother) really bad day for British industry.

Oberon
09-27-11, 01:52 PM
I believe the original plan post-TSR2 was to get some F-111s but the F-111s overrun so much and the cost went up so much that the plan was abandoned.

sidslotm is right though, the will to work has gone out of the UK, I don't know why, some would probably blame it on the benefits system but this problem has been around longer than that. Perhaps it's an over-reliance on technology, I don't know...but we're certainly not the nation of grafters we once were.

Of course, I speak generally rather than specifically, naturally there are exceptions to the rule. :03:

Tribesman
09-27-11, 03:07 PM
Bloody rotten lousy Tories are totally destroying our once great country
Do you really think either of the other parties would make much difference?

JU_88
09-27-11, 03:32 PM
Do you really think either of the other parties would make much difference?

Nope.:down:
As much I appreciate have a democracy, no matter which of the two (and a half) major parties are in power is pretty much accademic to me really, I have little faith in the system really.
IMO western democracy is good at giving the people the illusion that they are in control of their government.
Still its better than an outright dictatorship and I wont take for granted that people have fought and died to protect it too.
So.... mustn't grumble, could be much worse....

Tribesman
09-27-11, 03:42 PM
So.... mustn't grumble, could be much worse....
Look on the bright side.
It cuts down on foriegn office funding of errr...sweeteners, there is no need to screw the taxpayer with the bill when dodgy dictators are reluctant to pay for the arms shipments and you won't have the tax payer subsidised company giving America a huge payout for getting caught doing some "honestly it wasn't really bribery".

sidslotm
09-29-11, 11:44 AM
I think the main issue in England is simply a lack of believe. Wittle, Mitchell, wallace and countless others like this where believers, they believed in what they where doing and the reasons for doing.

When Rolls Royce collapased in the 70s, the accounts moved in and engineers from that day were moved out. Unlike many human endevours, engineering requires believe in what your doing and the profit margins are secondary. Pride of achievement is essential at at the workshop floor, this is where the believe is converted into exceptional world beating products which England was famed for, the workshop of the world.

Tchocky
09-29-11, 11:54 AM
I'd say the British aviation tradition is alive and well, with major components for the A380 and A350 being produced by British engineers, the engines for both being made at Rolls-Royce plc.