PDA

View Full Version : slow torp speed vs fast torp speed

tmdgm
09-24-11, 10:59 PM
When do you use slow torp vs fast torp speed? I've always been a fan of fast torp speed. but i read somewhere that fast torps increases duds. So i switched to slow and haven't hit squat cuz they turn way before they get there. So if fast torp speed is good, when do you use slow? Also, is this the same for SH3?

magic452
09-24-11, 11:52 PM
I only use low speed torps when the weather is bad or at night. I'll trail my target till night if necessary. In clear weather they'll see the slow fish most every time. You just gotta attack on the best terms available even if it means spending a lot of time setting up a good shot.

If you do have to shoot in clear weather and low speed try putting one fish in front of the bow and at least you will than know where she is going to go and shoot the next torps on that information. She will slow and turn and you can figure out where to shoot to get hits. Usually one in front and two or three at the stern. Gonna waste a few fish but that's better than wasting a lot of fish. :know:

Magic

indy
09-25-11, 12:27 AM
The way I use fast and slow torp speeds, is this. Lets say you have 2 ships coming past you, one at your bow, almost in front of you and the other trailing behind the first ship somewhat to your right side. The set up would sorta look like a T. I shoot at the second ship first using fast speed, then I shoot at the 1st ship using slow speed, trying to set up so both will hit at the same time. That way the explosion of one will not warn off the other, I get both ships at the same time. It just takes practice. I'm sure there is a mathematical equation in there some were, but go with you instincts and by the seat of your pants, make it fun. Hope this helps Indy.

White Owl
09-25-11, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the chance for duds is mod-dependent. Reading up on RFB 2.0 I saw the chance of a dud is greater with fast mk 14s, so I only use the slow setting. Add 10-15 feet to the depth, always hit at a shallow angle instead of T-boning them, never use contact influence, and set to slow speed... so far my mk 14s hit and explode more often than they don't. Sometimes the target ship can dodge one or two torpedoes, but rarely all four.

I know it's kind of cheating, though, since a real sub skipper in '42 didn't know exactly what the problem was with the torpedoes.

Flaxpants
09-25-11, 02:35 AM
I play RFB 2.0 RSRDC and my current game date is May 1942.
I have had only 1 (:yeah:) dud torpedo on my last 3 patrols, which were all very succesful in terms of tonnage, and on each patrol I fired all of my eels.

I attribute this to using the contact/magnetic setting only, and not the contact only setting (though I will fire them as if they were contact torpedoes). Also I make sure the torps impact the target from between 45 and 70 degrees. Any steeper angles than that increase the dud rate dramatically. For me duds are not an issue.

Or maybe I've just been incredibly lucky.

I'm pretty sure the chance for duds is mod-dependent. Reading up on RFB 2.0 I saw the chance of a dud is greater with fast mk 14s, so I only use the slow setting. Add 10-15 feet to the depth, always hit at a shallow angle instead of T-boning them, never use contact influence, and set to slow speed... so far my mk 14s hit and explode more often than they don't. Sometimes the target ship can dodge one or two torpedoes, but rarely all four.

I know it's kind of cheating, though, since a real sub skipper in '42 didn't know exactly what the problem was with the torpedoes.

WernherVonTrapp
09-25-11, 03:41 AM
When do you use slow torp vs fast torp speed? I use the slow speed setting when the target is beyond 4500yds, or in the rare occasion that I use them in tandem with the electric powered torps which have a speed commensurate with the slow setting on the Mark-14.:salute:

Dogfish40
09-25-11, 11:09 AM

At the same time, the Crew's did have their suspicions and sometimes they were right on. It's interesting that during the war one of the problems was that the fish were running deeper than than set. So I was interested to read that you're setting yours to run deeper still. It's probably due to the fact that the game doesn't mimic that particular problem, just duds, prematures and circular runs. Do you add the depth to make them harder to spot? I'm just wondering as I may use this sometimes, I just want to know when I might try it.

When do you use slow torp vs fast torp speed? I've always been a fan of fast torp speed. but i read somewhere that fast torps increases duds. So i switched to slow and haven't hit squat cuz they turn way before they get there. So if fast torp speed is good, when do you use slow? Also, is this the same for SH3?

I find that I want to use the Fish set to Hi-Speed but for some reason, even at 2000 yrds to 1700 yrds I get more misses when they're set this way. Low speed at 1500 almost always hits home.
I really like Hi-Speed just for that very reason,...If I can't close in time and have to fire from over 1500 yrds, I want the fish set at Hi-Speed to simply cut down on the enemy's reaction time. Like I said though, I get misses more often this way.
Good Hunting!!
D40 :salute:

Arlo
09-25-11, 11:34 AM
At the same time, the Crew's did have their suspicions and sometimes they were right on. It's interesting that during the war one of the problems was that the fish were running deeper than than set. So I was interested to read that you're setting yours to run deeper still. It's probably due to the fact that the game doesn't mimic that particular problem, just duds, prematures and circular runs.

Oh hell! I've been setting shallower depth because I suspected all of the historical problems were modded! DoH!

Oh .... 50% dud rate. I go through torps. Noticing command doesn't make my sub a priority on torp replacement options.

Bubblehead1980
09-25-11, 12:17 PM
Fast setting is for targets under 4500 yards, slow is for targets over and slow setting has max range of 9,000 yards.

I also use slow setting at night when doing night surface attacks on convoys, gives me more time to set up my escape upon impact and they rarely spot the fish in time at night so not a factor.Daytime is another story.

White Owl
09-25-11, 12:39 PM
At the same time, the Crew's did have their suspicions and sometimes they were right on. It's interesting that during the war one of the problems was that the fish were running deeper than than set. So I was interested to read that you're setting yours to run deeper still.

I wrote that poorly. I meant I mentally add 10-15 feet to the torpedoes indicated depth, so setting it at 5 feet means it'll actually run at 15-20 feet. It was a bad choice of words.

John Channing
09-25-11, 02:05 PM
IIRC depth problems are modeled in the game.

My experience in-game certainly leads me to believe this.

JCC

Dogfish40
09-27-11, 09:36 AM
I wrote that poorly. I meant I mentally add 10-15 feet to the torpedoes indicated depth, so setting it at 5 feet means it'll actually run at 15-20 feet. It was a bad choice of words.

Well, That clears things up a bit! :O: I was wondering "sets it Deeper???"
Anyway, I like to fool with the depth setting as well but as far as daylight visibility goes, it doesn't seem to matter. So, I just find the keel depth of the ship I'm going to hit, and add a few feet (this is for daylight). For luck's sake, at night, I set 'em for contact only. And further still, there was a directive that went out as a possible temporary fix for duds that asked the Crew's to aim with a less than 90 degree AOB. So I will try to do this. Weather the game responds to this stuff, I can't remember but it's fun anyway.
D40 :salute:

Daniel Prates
09-29-11, 04:21 PM
Is there any advantage (like, for instance, a lesser chance of a dud) in choosing slow speed even if within high-speed range? I always chose high-speed whenever the target is close enough, since it improves the hitting precision, but still....

magic452
09-30-11, 12:30 AM
Historically and in game low speed will give fewer duds in the early war.
An AoB of less than 70° also helps.
Turning off duds helps a hole bunch. :know: :haha:

Magic

Daniel Prates
09-30-11, 01:13 PM
Turning off duds helps a hole bunch. :know: :haha:

Magic

It figures! :yeah: