PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a brand newbie

rich12545
09-16-11, 08:02 PM
I'm brand new to the game and this forum. Have no idea where to introduce myself to get promoted so I'll try here.

Never played a submarine sim before. I play flight simulator all the time (fs9) and have played war and strategy games for years. My first was Bismarck by SSI for the Apple II a long time ago.

I'm an old fart, age 65, and retired. Looking forward to playing the game and came to this site originally to get some downloads.

I bought the Gold game from GG. It's downloaded so the only manual is a pdf with pages on both sides of a sheet with a dark background. Printing that out to read, and it looks like reading it is a must, will be a total pain so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a printer friendly manual or if one is even available.

Looking forward to many more visits to the forum.

Torplexed
09-16-11, 08:24 PM
Greetings and welcome to the forum, captain. :sunny:

White Owl
09-16-11, 09:10 PM
Hi there, Rich. :)

Honestly, the game's official manual isn't all that great. Reading up in this forum - especially the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146795) thread up top - will teach you a whole lot more than that manual. There are good tutorial videos around here for complex things like manual targeting with the TDC and whatnot.

TBear
09-16-11, 11:49 PM
:salute:

:yeah:

:DL

Tbear

magic452
09-17-11, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the boat mate. :salute:

You already found the best manual there is, Subsim.
Read through the PDF manual a few times but I wouldn't print it out unless you have a table with one short leg or need something to get the BBQ started.

Do the school missions and just play around with all the various buttons, etc.
You can't hurt anything. Being a flight simmer you should get the hang of things pretty quickly.

I'd start with one of the single missions instead of a career less pressure.
Just go some were and find something to shoot at and see what happens.

If you got questions we've got answers and some of them might even make sense. :D Don't be afraid to ask as we were all there at one time or another.

Good luck and good hunting.
Magic

WernherVonTrapp
09-17-11, 06:43 AM
Welcome abroad.:D:salute:

Herr-Berbunch
09-17-11, 08:21 AM
Welcome aboard :salute:

Age is immaterial here! Ages go past yours, and even the teenagers seem like old farts some (a lot) of the time. :yep:

Jimbuna
09-17-11, 11:15 AM
Welcome to SubSim rich :salute:

Sailor Steve
09-17-11, 11:16 AM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

You make me feel young (I'm 61)! But, as said, we have a couple of regular members in their seventies, which is unusual for a gaming forum.

Just remember whenever you run into any trouble, the motto here is "Ask questions. Ask more questions. If that doesn't work, ask more questions". We all love the game here, and want everyone else to love it too.

commandosolo2009
09-17-11, 02:22 PM
Welcome aboard rich!! Got any questions? shoot here and we'll get to it pronto! Age is irrelevant, so chill and knock them dykes out!!!

rich12545
09-17-11, 03:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the welcomes.

I'll be sure to ask questions as they come up. There's an incredible amount of tutorials and stuff already. Looks like the manual is only good for getting acquainted with the game and gui so I won't bother printing it.

Daniel Prates
09-18-11, 06:15 PM
But, as said, we have a couple of regular members in their seventies, which is unusual for a gaming forum.

You're kidding. Who, if I might ask?

Sailor Steve
09-18-11, 10:02 PM
You're kidding. Who, if I might ask?
Gunfighter comes to mind first, though he's been absent a little lately. Also haven't heard from Lane in awhile. There were a couple of others I'm not remembering offhand. They used to be more regular than they are now (don't take that the wrong way). I hope they're alright. But there are some.

Dogfish40
09-19-11, 10:42 AM
Welcome aboard Rich.
And at 51 I thought I was one of the old ones. :O:
Yeah, Rich, Play with the training missions a bit till you can navigate around, play with the torpedo firing, and the Hydrophones (and Radar).
Get to those single missions, some of those are pretty good. They'll train you on everything from navigation, sinking ships to Photo missions and Rescuing downed pilots.
And most of all, get your game up to speed with the various upgrades and mods. With the super mods and other graphic and sound mods you can really make this your own game. It takes it up ten steps.
The Skippers on this forum will help with any questions you have.
Good Hunting
D40 :salute:

Daniel Prates
09-19-11, 04:41 PM
They used to be more regular than they are now (don't take that the wrong way).

Hehehe. :har:

pabbi
09-19-11, 05:32 PM
You boys make me feel like a baby and i'm 39 years old.:har:

Sailor Steve
09-19-11, 08:05 PM
Well, I have a daughter just seven years younger than you, so what do you expect? :O:

Actually there was a girl back when I was in the navy, and if things had gone just a little different I might have had a kid who would be turning 40 this very month, so... :sunny: