PDA

View Full Version : Being in command of a virtual WWII U.S. sub again ...

Matthew_T_Sherman
09-02-11, 02:35 AM
Again, SH4 (especially with the RFB mod) is a blast. The added element of being in charge of a virtual crew is a level of immersion that gives the game the kind of addictive boost my wife is going to hate (guess I need to price some jewelry).

However, being a long absent retread to the SubSim community and one that didn't get to stay connected as long as I wanted to last time around, I can't help but feel I've missed quite a bit of good discussions and posts about the game, how it relates, historically and realistically. So forgive me if I bring up old hashed and re-hashed subjects.

For instance:

Now that I have a crew of 80+ officers and enlisted and a dynamic crew roster where I, as the C.O., can drag and move them around - I'm not always sure where to drag who to make sure I'm getting the most efficiency (and realism) from my new-found virtual command abilities. I'm the skipper, I should know what everyone else's job is and how to put them to work doing what they're supposed to do where they're supposed to do it. Alas, when I served in the Navy I wasn't a submariner and it certainly wasn't during WWII on a diesel sub and a couple of hours of scouring the internet for Gato class control room diagrams to give me additional details about positions, titles and responsibilities in said control room only got me some sub museum pics with questionable captions.

The control room is the heart of my sub (like the conn is the eyes and ears - but the conn is pretty much self explanatory - there's the sonar position and there's the radars). Now it's not hard to figure out the slot for the dive officer - that's box 1 and, apparently, an Ensign is gonna fill those shoes on a non-S-class boat with either a higher ranking officer or an experienced chief on deck to make sure he doesn't sink it anymore than he's supposed to. On the S-class boats I'm thinking I see the exec or COB or someone with experience with responsibility under their gut ... errr ... belt.

1. Diving officer - wet nosed ensign (on the newer boats). COB, other chief or officer that doesn't require a chief to save his backside on a semi-regular basis.

Ok ... the two slot on all boats looks like he's in charge of the ballast. This seems a pretty damned important job and I'd picture a chief or first class doing it. What's the position called? Ballastman? Erg.

2. Ballast - experienced fella that won't sink the boat anymore than we want him to.

Now we're at slot three. This fella is looking at a lot of gauges. Again, this seems kinda important (but then, what isn't important in a submarine control room?). And either all of those gauges were replaced with something less archaic or maybe more automated over time or visitors of the sub museums hate taking pictures of just silly `ol gauges. So, guages ... ummm ... gaugeman ... erg.

3. Gaugeman. Watching intently. It's an important job without much manual labor involved. Second class petty officer or above?

We come to slot 4. The rudder dude. And he has some pretty important gauges of his own. Ones I can actually relate to specific elements such as speed in knots and depth and what direction we're headed. Helmsman? Again, seems a job for the more experienced not so low-ranking crew.

4. Rudder/Helm guy. Second class preferred.

Slot 5. On an s-class boat this is a planesman. It's a 'simple' job (ahem) - third class (and below?) On the newer/bigger boats this appears to be electrical (from my best guess). Back to 2nd class and above.

5. S-class - planesman -kid, turn the wheel until the arrow on the gauge matches the order you just repeated. Non-S-class - electrical watch-standing. Petty officers only.

Slot 6. The other planesman for S-class boats. Same as above for them. But on the newer boats it appears, to me, to be (perhaps) some sort of adminstrative or auxiliary plotting desk. Guess this is where the higher ranking officer or COB pretends to not be intently listening to everything the ensign puppy-barks on deck.

6. My X.O. or another 'El-Tee' - maybe the COB or another experienced chief.

Slots seven .... and eight. S-boats have no slot seven or eight so it's all non-S's from here on. Both are planesmen. See above.

Now, as you can see, I'm using a helluva lot of creative fudging here. And I know the SubSim community has quite a few sub history and technical types that should be able to help set me straight.

So, if anyone out there can provide me with additional insight to make me a more professional-like virtual WWII sub skipper, I'd appreciate it. :DL

Bubblehead1980
09-02-11, 01:44 PM
Again, SH4 (especially with the RFB mod) is a blast. The added element of being in charge of a virtual crew is a level of immersion that gives the game the kind of addictive boost my wife is going to hate (guess I need to price some jewelry).

However, being a long absent retread to the SubSim community and one that didn't get to stay connected as long as I wanted to last time around, I can't help but feel I've missed quite a bit of good discussions and posts about the game, how it relates, historically and realistically. So forgive me if I bring up old hashed and re-hashed subjects.

For instance:

Now that I have a crew of 80+ officers and enlisted and a dynamic crew roster where I, as the C.O., can drag and move them around - I'm not always sure where to drag who to make sure I'm getting the most efficiency (and realism) from my new-found virtual command abilities. I'm the skipper, I should know what everyone else's job is and how to put them to work doing what they're supposed to do where they're supposed to do it. Alas, when I served in the Navy I wasn't a submariner and it certainly wasn't during WWII on a diesel sub and a couple of hours of scouring the internet for Gato class control room diagrams to give me additional details about positions, titles and responsibilities in said control room only got me some sub museum pics with questionable captions.

The control room is the heart of my sub (like the conn is the eyes and ears - but the conn is pretty much self explanatory - there's the sonar position and there's the radars). Now it's not hard to figure out the slot for the dive officer - that's box 1 and, apparently, an Ensign is gonna fill those shoes on a non-S-class boat with either a higher ranking officer or an experienced chief on deck to make sure he doesn't sink it anymore than he's supposed to. On the S-class boats I'm thinking I see the exec or COB or someone with experience with responsibility under their gut ... errr ... belt.

1. Diving officer - wet nosed ensign (on the newer boats). COB, other chief or officer that doesn't require a chief to save his backside on a semi-regular basis.

Ok ... the two slot on all boats looks like he's in charge of the ballast. This seems a pretty damned important job and I'd picture a chief or first class doing it. What's the position called? Ballastman? Erg.

2. Ballast - experienced fella that won't sink the boat anymore than we want him to.

Now we're at slot three. This fella is looking at a lot of gauges. Again, this seems kinda important (but then, what isn't important in a submarine control room?). And either all of those gauges were replaced with something less archaic or maybe more automated over time or visitors of the sub museums hate taking pictures of just silly `ol gauges. So, guages ... ummm ... gaugeman ... erg.

3. Gaugeman. Watching intently. It's an important job without much manual labor involved. Second class petty officer or above?

We come to slot 4. The rudder dude. And he has some pretty important gauges of his own. Ones I can actually relate to specific elements such as speed in knots and depth and what direction we're headed. Helmsman? Again, seems a job for the more experienced not so low-ranking crew.

4. Rudder/Helm guy. Second class preferred.

Slot 5. On an s-class boat this is a planesman. It's a 'simple' job (ahem) - third class (and below?) On the newer/bigger boats this appears to be electrical (from my best guess). Back to 2nd class and above.

5. S-class - planesman -kid, turn the wheel until the arrow on the gauge matches the order you just repeated. Non-S-class - electrical watch-standing. Petty officers only.

Slot 6. The other planesman for S-class boats. Same as above for them. But on the newer boats it appears, to me, to be (perhaps) some sort of adminstrative or auxiliary plotting desk. Guess this is where the higher ranking officer or COB pretends to not be intently listening to everything the ensign puppy-barks on deck.

6. My X.O. or another 'El-Tee' - maybe the COB or another experienced chief.

Slots seven .... and eight. S-boats have no slot seven or eight so it's all non-S's from here on. Both are planesmen. See above.

Now, as you can see, I'm using a helluva lot of creative fudging here. And I know the SubSim community has quite a few sub history and technical types that should be able to help set me straight.

So, if anyone out there can provide me with additional insight to make me a more professional-like virtual WWII sub skipper, I'd appreciate it. :DL

Hmm I run TMO and its been a while since ran RFB but lets see...

Before I answer I'll address what I see as an issue the has been around since stock.

From everything I've read, when the sub was on the surface basically there was a skeleton crew in the control room, say a chief and maybe a PO to start the dive.The lookouts on watch would slide down off the shears, through the conning tower down to control room and then act as planesmen.The Officer of the Deck on the bridge would typically take over the dive.The way the control room is always fully manned has always been an issue for me. The solution I came up with this is I leave a CPO at the diving officers station and the other slots empty, when hit the diving alarm, I move the deck watch off the bridge into the appropriate slots.This can be a pain but seems to add a little something to the game.I run TMO so not as many slots to figure out as RFB but addresses what I've always seen as an error.

1.When not at GQ, the Officer of the Deck would take the dive, even on S boats.At GQ typically the diving officer would be the next man in line under the XO or the most qualified, depends.Rank usually didnt have much to do with positions from what I've read, it was more of a capability thing etc.

2 and 3.Are you talking about the gauages in the port aft ? Read them closely, they should say ballast(not sure if RFB is using Vickers overhauled interiors) The gauages with all the valves under them are the ballast controls.Typically a skilled PO or Chief would man this position when diving and at GQ.

4.The helmsman was usually a lower ranking guy, I assign a seaman 1st class on my subs.Sometimes a PO would take over but typically the well trained but lower ranking crew held this position.Does RFB put the helm guy in the conning tower on fleet boats as TMO did prior to V 2.2.Always hated how stock put him in the control room.The helmsman was in the conning tower unless it was abandoned due to damage.ugh

5.Planesmen even on the fleetboats were usually lower ranking guys, depends who was acting as lookouts on the watch.GQ planesmen MAY have included a PO3.Depends.

6.XO was typically a LT on fleetboats but at times a Lt Cdr, Sboats the Captain was often an LT and XO maybe be an LT or LT JG.Chief's could never be the XO as they were not Commissioned Officers.

Matthew_T_Sherman
09-02-11, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the insight. But I think I may have not been all that clear, what with my rambling on and such (my posting style, unfortunately).

As I immerse myself into the role of skipper I find that I desire more specific facts about the slots and their related positions in the control room. I have six slots on the S-Boats with the first slot being the dive officer and slots five and six being the planesmen. On the newer boats slot one is still the dive officer and slots seven and eight are the planesmen (since six slots grew to nine [eight, sir! says Sir Shellback] .... er, eight!). All the slots in between remain guesswork since I haven't yet found a manual, diagram or description of what each of the other slots truly represents and who traditionally manned those stations.

I presume that when I (the skipper) enter the control room that I am, at that moment, in charge and in command of the room and where I stand represents that position. No number needed or we could call my slot 'slot 0' or even 'C' (I am master and commander, even in the head).

1. Room Center - plotting table - Diving officer (as you mentioned, rank generally only had bearing in regard to who was currently the OOD or who came on deck that ranked and had experience. If it's either first watch or GQ, I would anticipate that the position should be my X.O. (who would be, of course, the second ranking soul on board). Otherwise it would be whomever is deemed suitable for that position/role during the watch and they would 'take the con' once I left the room.

2. (I orient this position fwd/port) - this is the one that appears to have the levers described on both submarine movies and on online sub museum websites as 'ballast controls.' Not knowing if there's a specific specialty or role-title here other than 'quartermaster' or even 'ballast-man' it does often appear to involve an E-6 or E-7 and a lot of dramatic responsibility, in the movie-role, at least.

3. (I orient this position aft/port) - this is the 'lotsa gauges to watch pensively or sternly guy' position. Looks somewhat important, as well.

4. On the S-class this appears to be the rudder guy [helmsman?] - front and center with a wheel, depth indicator, compass, etc. On the newer boats this appears to be the electrical dude (Fwd/Starboard) [simply because a sub museum offered a pic of that spot sporting the same type of brass 'stove knobs' and called it that - I had my doubts]).

5. S-boat forward planesman. Newer boat rudder-dude [helmsman?]

6. S-Boat aft planesman. Newer boats, the guy who gets to read maps and book titles either aft/starboard - aft/port or the guy who is looking in a 'breaker box/light cabinet' fwd/port (in front of Mr. Ballast).

7. Aft planesman on newer boats.

8. Fwd. planesman on newer boats.

The only concern I have, at this point, is knowing what each position precisely is, what rank should man it and how to accurately refer to them. When I moved around some heads and came into the control room and saw my Exec playing planesman I about shat a torpedo right there. Wasn't amused .... until I was told it was my order to begin with. Now, where I put them until GQ and how I get them there is another matter. :hmmm:

Matthew_T_Sherman
09-03-11, 08:56 PM
Here we go! Fleet Type Submarine Manual - Chapter 3*:

1. Room Center - plotting table - Diving officer (as you mentioned, rank generally only had bearing in regard to who was currently the OOD or who came on deck that ranked and had experience. If it's either first watch or GQ, I would anticipate that the position should be my X.O. (who would be, of course, the second ranking soul on board). Otherwise it would be whomever is deemed suitable for that position/role during the watch and they would 'take the con' once I left the room.

2. (I orient this position fwd/port) - this is the one that appears to have the levers described on both submarine movies and on online sub museum websites as 'ballast controls.' Not knowing if there's a specific specialty or role-title here other than 'quartermaster' or even 'ballast-man' it does often appear to involve an E-6 or E-7 and a lot of dramatic responsibility, in the movie-role, at least.

3. (I orient this position aft/port) - this is the 'lotsa gauges to watch pensively or sternly guy' position. Looks somewhat important, as well.

Aha!: http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/img/fig3-04.jpg

"Port side after corner of control room showing trim manifold, fathometer indicator, trim tank gages (gauges) and trim pump control."

Seems this fella is in charge of monitoring how trim the boat is.

trim

5. Nautical

b. To balance (a ship) by shifting its cargo or contents.

v.intr.1. Nautical a. To be in or retain equilibrium.

2. a. To affect or maintain cautious neutrality.

n.1. a. State of order, arrangement, or appearance; condition: in good trim.

8. Nautical a. The readiness of a vessel for sailing with regard to ballast, sails, and yards.
b. The balance of a ship.
c. The difference between the draft at the bow and at the stern.

4. On the S-class this appears to be the rudder guy [helmsman?] - front and center with a wheel, depth indicator, compass, etc.

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/img/fig3-06.jpg

"Forward bulkhead showing steering wheel, gyro repeater, and annunciators."

Helmsman.

On the newer boats this appears to be the electrical dude (Fwd/Starboard) [simply because a sub museum offered a pic of that spot sporting the same type of brass 'stove knobs' and called it that - I had my doubts]). <- Ok, good thing for the doubts. The brass 'stove knobs' didn't seem a rational electrical anything to me but the starboard side starts with the IC switchboard then goes primarily into manifolds. From the manual's descriptive:

"Starboard side forward-aft (control room):1.Electric circuits and switchboard (IC switchboard) 2.High-pressure air manifold 3.225-pound air manifold 4.600-pound main ballast tanks blowing manifold 5.10-pound main ballast tanks blowing manifold

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/img/fig3-03.jpg

5. S-boat forward planesman. Newer boat rudder-dude [helmsman?]

6. S-Boat aft planesman. Newer boats, the guy who gets to read maps and book titles either aft/starboard - aft/port or the guy who is looking in a 'breaker box/light cabinet' fwd/port (in front of Mr. Ballast).

7. Aft planesman on newer boats.

8. Fwd. planesman on newer boats.

The only concern I have, at this point, is knowing what each position precisely is, what rank should man it and how to accurately refer to them. When I moved around some heads and came into the control room and saw my Exec playing planesman I about shat a torpedo right there. Wasn't amused .... until I was told it was my order to begin with. Now, where I put them until GQ and how I get them there is another matter. :hmmm:

And a previous perception revived:

"Conning tower. The compartment immediately above the control room is the conning tower. (See Figure 3-6.) It is the main navigation and firing control station for the submarine. The conning tower contains the periscopes and the periscope hoist equipment, the radio direction finder, the sonar equipment, the radar equipment, the torpedo data computer (TDC), the gyro repeater, the conning tower steering stand, and the various pressure gages and indicators. The conning tower connects with the control room through a watertight hatch. This is designated as the lower conning tower hatch. The upper conning tower hatch provides access to the bridge from the conning tower. The conning tower also has a ventilation exhaust connection and its own air-conditioning coil. Since the conning tower is the commanding officer's battle station, all communication lines include the conning tower in their circuits"

~~~~~~~~~~ This was a find (for me)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C. STANDARD PHRASEOLOGY 17C1. Getting underway.
a. "Station the maneuvering watch." Personnel man their stations in accordance with the Watch, Quarter, and Station bill. Start and test machinery. Special details such as line handlers, anchor detail, color detail, and leadsman take their stations.
b. "Stand by to answer bells." A preparatory command to the watch, indicating that orders to the engines will follow directly.
c. "Station the regular sea detail." An order given when clear of restricted waters and the special details of the maneuvering watch are no longer required. 17C2. Line handling.
a. "Stand by the lines." Man the lines, ready to cast off or get the lines over to the dock.
b. "Cast off number one." Release number one line from the dock.
c. "Ease four." Pay out enough of the designated line to remove most of the strain.
d. "Hold three." Take enough turns so that the designated line will not give.
e. "Check two." Hold, but let it run when necessary so that it will not part.
f, "Take a strain on four." Put the line under tension.
g. "Get over number one." Heave number one line to the dock.
h. "Take three up the dock." Man ashore receiving the line takes it up the dock to a new position.
i. "Take in the slack on four." Heave on line and hold it taut, but do not take a strain.
j. "Take in two." or "Take in the after
lines." Pull the lines, released from the dock, aboard.
k. "Single up." Bring up double lines so that only single parts remain secured.
l. "Double up and secure." Run additional lines and double them as necessary to secure the mooring.
m. "Slack one (two)." Pay out the line, allowing it to form an easy bight. 17C3. Orders to the wheel.
a. "Right (Left) rudder." A command to give her right (or left) rudder instantly, an indeterminate amount. In all such cases, the officer conning the ship should accompany the order with a statement of his motive, or the object to be attained, so that the steersman may execute the order with intelligence and judgment,
b. "Right (Left) full rudder." A maximum rudder angle of about 35 degrees is used in the Navy.
c. "Right (Left) standard rudder." Not used on submarines.
d. "Right (Left) standard half rudder." Not used on submarines.
e. "Right (Left), 5 (10, etc.) degrees rudder." These orders are used in making changes of course. All courses given to the steersman must be compass courses.
f. "Right (Left), handsomely." This order is given when a very slight change of course is desired.
g. "Give her more rudder." Increase the rudder angle already on to make her turn more rapidly.
h. "Ease the rudder." Decrease the rudder angle already on when she is turning
too rapidly, or is coming to the heading desired. The order can be given, "Ease to 15 (10, 5, etc.)."
i. "Rudder amidships." Rudder is centered and kept there until the next order.
j, "Meet her." Use rudder as may be necessary to check, but not entirely stop her swing.
k. "Steady," or "Steady so," or "Steady as you go." Steer the course on which the ship is heading when the command is received.
l. "Shift the rudder." Change from right to left rudder, or vice versa.
m. "Mind your rudder." A warning to the quartermaster (or steersman) 1) to exact more careful steering, or 2) to put him on the alert for the next command to the wheel.
n. "Mind your right (left) rudder." A warning that the ship shows a frequent tendency to get off her course, and that if right (or left) rudder is not applied from time to time to counteract this tendency, the ship will not make good the course set.
o. "Nothing to the right (left)." Given when the course to be made good is a shade off the compass card mark, and therefore meaning that all small variations from the course in steering must be kept, for example to the southward of the course set. p. "Keep her so." A command to the steersman when he reports her heading, and it is desired to steady her.
q. "Very well." Given to the steersman, after a report by him, to let him know that the situation is understood. The expression "All right" should not be used, it might be taken as an order to the wheel. 17C4. Orders for the engines. Standard orders to the engines are given in three parts: 1) the first part designates the engine starboard, port, or all; 2) the second part indicates the direction: ahead or back; and 3) the third part indicates the speed: 1/3, 2/3, standard, full, flank, or stop.
Typical orders are:
1. "Port, ahead, 2/3."
2. "Starboard, back, full."
3. "All, ahead, standard."
4. "Port, back, 1/3; Starboard, ahead, 2/3."
5. "All, stop."
In the submarine service, the word engine is omitted in orders to the engines or motors, to eliminate confusion resulting from the fact that under various conditions, and with various types of main drive, engines sometimes deliver the power, and motors sometimes do.

D. PHRASEOLOGY 18D1. Diving and submerged. a. "Rig ship for dive." The order to carry out the preparations for diving listed in Section 18A4.
b. "Ship rigged for dive," or "Ship rigged for dive except ------------- " A report indicating the accomplishment of the above order.
c. "Clear the bridge." A usual preliminary to the diving signal. All personnel, unless excepted, lay below on the double.
d. "Bleed air." An order to bleed air into the submarine.
e. "Pressure in the boat." The report indicating that the hull is sealed.
f. "Green board." The report meaning that all hull openings are closed, as indicated by the Christmas tree.
g. "Six, (five, etc.) feet." An order to the diving officer, or the bow planesman, giving the desired depth.
h. "Ease the bubble." "Zero bubble." "Five degrees down bubble." Orders to the stern planesman giving the angle desired on the ship.
i. "Shut bow buoyancy vent." "Shut the main vents." "Open negative flood." Orders governing the operation of the various flood valves and main vents.
j. "Vent safety." Open safety vent, then, after tank has vented, shut the vent
k. "Blow safety." "Blow negative." "Blow all main ballast." Orders to the air manifold watch to blow the designated tank or tanks.
l. "Secure the air." "Secure the air to bow buoyancy." The order to stop blowing all tanks, or the designated tank.
m. "Cycle the vents." Given when it is desired to vent safety, bow buoyancy, and the main ballast tanks in succession. n. "Full rise on the bow planes." "Five degrees dive on the stern planes," Orders to the planesman, giving the angle desired on the diving planes.
o. "Pump from forward trim to after trim." "Flood auxiliary from sea." "Blow from forward trim to sea." "Pump from auxiliary to after trim five hundred pounds." "Secure the pumping." Orders to the trim and air manifold watches, used in shifting variable ballast.
p. "Start the low-pressure blower, blow all main ballast." "Secure the air to number one." "Secure the low-pressure blower." Orders governing the operation of the low-pressure blowers.
q. "Pressure equalized." The report that the air pressure inside the submarine is the same as that of the atmosphere.
r. "Take her down." Increase depth as rapidly as possible. Exact depth will be specified later.
s. "Rig for surface." The order to place the ship in the normal peacetime surface cruising condition.
t. "Open bulkhead flappers, and recirculate." Given after the dive has been made and conditions are satisfactory.
u. "Low-pressure blower secured, all main ballast tanks dry, safety and negative flooded, conning tower hatch and main induction open, depth eighteen feet." A typical report by the diving officer, giving the conditions upon completion of surfacing.
F. STANDARD PHRASEOLOGY 20F1. Examples of standard phraseology.
The following is the standard phraseology to be used on phones and when passing the word: a. Torpedoes.
1. Make ready the bow (stern) tubes.
2. Set torpedo depth 10 feet.
3. What is the torpedo run?
4. What is the gyro angle?
5. Do the bow (stern) tubes bear?
6. Check fire (or cease fire).
7. When gyro angle is zero, commence firing.
8. Use one (six) torpedoes.
9. Use angle, speed, bearing (periscope) spread.
10, Set gyro regulators in hand (automatic).
11. Stand by one, and so on. Fire one, and so on.
12. What is the torpedo track angle? b. Own ship-fire Control.
1. What is the pit log speed?
2. Pit log speed is .........
3. What is our head(ing) (course)?
4. Our head(ing) (course) is .........
5. Left (right) 5 degree rudder.
6. Rudder is 5 degree (10 degree) (full), right (left).
7. Depth 60 (etc.) feet.
8. Emergency, 200 (150) feet.
9. Take her down.
10. Rig ship for depth charge attack.
11. Stand by to dive (clear the bridge).
12. What is the log distance? c. Target.
1. (Generated) angle on the bow is ......... starboard (port).
2. Estimated (generated) (radar) (sound) range, five oh double oh.
3. Estimated target speed ......... knots (low 2-10) (moderate 10-15) (high 15-25)
4. Target is maru (destroyer) (man-o-war) etc.
5. Target (relative) (Sound) (Radar) (True) (generated) bearing is .........
6. Estimated (generated) target course is .........
7. Stand by for a set-up.
8. Target estimated length is .........
9. Target track angle is .........
10. Set-up is good. (T.D.C. set-up.)
d. Own ship: administration.
1. Put low-pressure blowers on all main ballast tanks for ......... minutes.
2. What time is it?
3. Rig ship for depth charge attack.
4. Forward room rigged for depth charge attack.
5. Open all bulkhead flappers, resume normal hull ventilation.
6. Get ready on the engines.
7. Shift to the battery.
8. Man the sound gear. (Station the sound watch.)
9. Man the radio room (conning tower) radar.
10. House the underwater log.
11. Rig out the underwater log.
12. Lower and lock the port (starboard) soundhead.
13. Raise and lock the port (starboard) soundhead.
14. Open the main induction, start the blowers.
15. Lookouts to the bridge. e. Orders to the men on the lines.
Slack off: Pay out the line, allowing it to form an easy bight.
Take a strain: Put the line under tension.
Take in the slack: Heave in on the line, but do not take a strain.
Ease it, Ease away, or Ease off: Pay out enough to remove most of the strain.
Check Number .........: Hold the line, but render it enough when necessary so that it will not part.
Hold Number .........: Take sufficient turns that the line will not give.
Double up and secure: Run any additional lines and double all of them as necessary.
Stand by your lines: Man the lines, ready to cast off.
Cast off Number .........: Let go Number ......... line.

A slow learning process, it seems, for this non-submariner ex-sailor. I'm as sure this is as old a find for others as the F4U Corsair training film was for me early in my flightsim daze - er days. :yep:

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/appendix/images/figa-28.jpg

Daniel Prates
09-05-11, 12:28 PM
Matthew, this is all great info, but try to narrow down your posts to fewer paragraphs. You'll see that this will bring more feedback.

Matthew_T_Sherman
09-05-11, 01:35 PM
Terse posting is the key. Gotcha. :DL

Daniel Prates
09-09-11, 03:19 PM
Yeah, didn't mean to be rude or anything. It's just that people tend to bother more with topics that are more objective and easier to read.

Matthew_T_Sherman
09-10-11, 04:14 PM
Well, that's my downfall. Lack of objectivity and difficulty in composing - though I use skills in both for a living. As it turns out, I've concluded that this type of research is probably best done solo, at least for now. I've been a pretty thorough amateur researcher for most of my life, regarding WWII history and aviation. I suppose I can devote that to the Sub service, as well (I was just taking the lazy way out, presuming that the questions I asked were already known and thoroughly researched by others in the SubSim community).

I've started work on a website, designed for the SH4 novice, that ties in the game, its mods and real life. It'll cover the crew complements, positions, duties, stations and anything else I think the novice SH4/Sub fan geek like me may be curious about.

Perhaps after I share that work I can get anyone with more expertise to chime in for tweeking. :03:

MTS (aka Arlo of previous days here)

Matthew_T_Sherman
09-10-11, 05:28 PM
Hmm I run TMO and its been a while since ran RFB but lets see...

P.S. Again, thank you, btw. Not sure if I made my appreciation clear in the fog of peace. :)

P.P.S. And considering all the material referenced on SubSim, alone, I'm well behind the curve - but I'm sprinting to catch up.