PDA

View Full Version : Gadhafi’s Compound Falls

Feuer Frei!
08-23-11, 07:21 PM
http://images.defensetech.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/rebelvictory.jpg

As a (little) earthquake rattled Washington today, it appears that the rebels have taken Gadhafi’s compound in the Libyan capitol of Tripoli. After seven months of fighting, the Libyan civil war might just be over. Now what?

From the NYT:
Rebel fighters flooded into Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/q/muammar_el_qaddafi/index.html?inline=nyt-per)’s sprawling compound on Tuesday, overwhelming what remained of its defenses, running pell-mell through the grounds and ransacking caches of weapons, as the crackle of gunfire and rumble of explosions spread across a confused and wary Libyan capital in spasms of renewed fighting.Hundreds of rebel fighters on foot and in pickup trucks moved quickly into the Bab al-Aziziya compound in Tripoli, where smoky fires shrouded the palm trees and bullet-scarred multistory buildings of what the rebels have called Colonel Qaddafi’s last hideout. Many of the rebels searched the buildings room by room, but there was no immediate sign that Colonel Qaddafi or any member of his family was there.

SOURCE (http://defensetech.org/2011/08/23/gadhafis-compound-falls/)

Castout
08-23-11, 08:01 PM
Gaddafi broadcast another defiant message.

Now I no longer feel sorry for this man.

I hope they get him preferably alive so he can stand trial. That would knock his ego. He may prefer death but it seems either way this man is incapable to learn from anything.

Sayonara Gaddafi! You are so messed up, hope God can fix you up because men can't, you won't allow them.

Torplexed
08-23-11, 09:16 PM
Let's see. How many US presidencies did this idiot's reign span.

Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, Obama.

Knowing how sick I get at seeing some of our same old politicians faces after a while, I can imagine how happy the average Libyan is to see Gaddafi and his stale regime go.

Feuer Frei!
08-23-11, 10:04 PM
Here's more from the BBC:

Col Muammar Gaddafi has vowed death or victory in the fight against "aggression", reports say, after Libyan rebels seized his Tripoli compound.
Pro-Gaddafi al-Urubah TV said the colonel - whose whereabouts remain unknown - made an audio speech, saying the retreat from the Bab al-Aziziya compound was a "tactical move".
The compound was one of the final areas under Col Gaddafi's control in Tripoli.
The rebels have been celebrating their gains in the capital's Green Square.
TV footage also showed fighters breaking the head off a statue of the Libyan leader and kicking it along the ground after capturing Bab al-Aziziya on Tuesday. They also seized items from Col Gaddafi's home.
However, there are still pockets of resistance in the capital, including the Abu Salim and al-Hadba districts, and near the Hotel Rixos, where many foreign journalists are staying.

SOURCE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14641572)

24 August 2011 Last updated at 00:40

Torplexed
08-23-11, 10:20 PM
Here's more from the BBC:

Col Muammar Gaddafi has vowed death or victory in the fight against "aggression", reports say, after Libyan rebels seized his Tripoli compound.
Pro-Gaddafi al-Urubah TV said the colonel - whose whereabouts remain unknown - made an audio speech, saying the retreat from the Bab al-Aziziya compound was a "tactical move".

Oh yeah. That old trick. Kinda like when Hitler gave up thousands of kilometers of Western Russia and Eastern Europe to snap the jaws of the trap shut on those gullible Russians in Berlin. :O:

Flaxpants
08-23-11, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah. That old trick. Kinda like when Hitler gave up thousands of kilometers of Western Russia and Eastern Europe to snap the jaws of the trap shut on those gullible Russians in Berlin. :O:

Sounds about right. I did laugh when he said 'tactical move'. More like him running away screaming down a tunnel somewhere leaving a trail of piss in his wake.

I wish somehow that Gaddafi would shut that trap of his. He said he's going to fight to the death- I'm presuming he doesn't mean himself personally....or his son. What a dufus.

Fish In The Water
08-24-11, 02:04 AM

The expert tactician strikes again... Now he's got the rebels right where he wants 'em... :O:

Reece
08-24-11, 02:16 AM
The expert tactician strikes again... Now he's got the rebels right where he wants 'em... :O:
If only his forces were as big as his mouth he could possibly win!:hmmm:

Betonov
08-24-11, 04:20 AM
If only his forces were as big as his mouth he could possibly win!:hmmm:

He'd be the ruler of the world

Jimbuna
08-24-11, 05:15 AM
I'm actually intrigued to know where he actually is....remember Sadman Hussein was found hiding in a hole in the ground.

Fish In The Water
08-24-11, 05:28 AM
I'm actually intrigued to know where he actually is....remember Sadman Hussein was found hiding in a hole in the ground.

Probably in some deep dark cave planning the victory parade... :O:

Reece
08-24-11, 05:51 AM
Yes it seems that rats like to crawl into holes!:hmmm:

Jimbuna
08-24-11, 06:20 AM
I'm not so sure he has sunk to those 'depths' yet seeing as how he is still broadcasting messages but I'm confident it is only a matter of time before he is captured or killed.

I reckon he's in one of the few remaining strongholds left in Tripoli.

Armistead
08-24-11, 09:06 AM
What of the 20,000 plus surface to air shoulder fired missles, not to mention he has several types of gas, mustard, etc,..Showed the insurgents just walking off with the missles.

I thinks we will be missing Gadhafi soon.

Tribesman
08-24-11, 12:29 PM
I'm actually intrigued to know where he actually is....
He is just keeping out of the public eye until he can grow a proper mustache

Penguin
08-24-11, 12:44 PM
The price for Daffy memorabilia is already rising
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUAMMAR-AL-GADHAFI-Signed-Rare-Official-Photo-letter-/350475544662

750 bucks for an autographed letter! :o

Sailor Steve
08-24-11, 01:16 PM
Sadman Hussein.
Back in the '91 Gulf War the favorite joke name for him here was "Sodam Insane".

BossMark
08-24-11, 01:27 PM
Have they got the evil git yet, just got in from work and aint seen any news yet.

mako88sb
08-24-11, 01:30 PM
Should be interesting to see how Libya opens up for tourism eventually. Check out the "Departures" episode that aired in Feb 2009. Around 3 years ago when they filmed it. Gas was very heavily subsidized. Around .08 cents a liter back then but I'm sure it's skyrocketed since.

http://video.citytv.com/video/detail/72303163001.000000/libya/

Some beautiful scenery, interesting ruins and I really like their interaction with the Libyan people.

FIREWALL
08-24-11, 01:47 PM

My thoghts exactly Torplexed :up:

Like the little Rat he was.:yep: Perfect accomadations for him. Jim :up:

Jimbuna
08-24-11, 02:47 PM
He is just keeping out of the public eye until he can grow a proper mustache

Back in the '91 Gulf War the favorite joke name for him here was "Sodam Insane".

LOL :DL

Rgr that matey :yep:

Latest news made mention of his troops heading off to his stronghold/birthplace (I think) Surt....wonder if the mongrel is there? :hmmm:

kranz
08-24-11, 03:05 PM
hmm, not so long time ago this "little Rat" gave handshakes to the most important leaders of the "Western World" (like Tony Blair etc) which now accuses him of the worst sort of crimes ever committed and threatens him with the Hague tribunal. Even the Lockerbie catastrophe is evoked. This ultra short memory is getting a large amount of approval in different sort of forums, post, quoted lines etc. So yeah, let's carry on with gibberish talk about matters we "saw" on CNN and BBC and we "understand" as if we were born there.
The crusade must go on, huh?

Tribesman
08-24-11, 04:48 PM
hmm, not so long time ago this "little Rat" gave handshakes to the most important leaders of the "Western World"
Thats life, you can be the craziest mass murderer going but as long as you play the game and buy and sell you are good, however once someone comes up with a better offer your former buddies will forget that you had a deal.

LiveGoat
08-24-11, 05:02 PM
I wonder if he'll be wearing one of his Patti Labelle muumuus when they catch him (shoot him). :DL

Feuer Frei!
08-24-11, 07:15 PM
Update:

Libyan rebels have announced an amnesty for anyone within Col Muammar Gaddafi's "inner circle" who captures or kills him, and a $1.7m (£1m) reward.

Col Gaddafi's whereabouts are unknown, though rebels have said they think he is still in or around Tripoli.
Rebels fighters have fought running battles in the capital, where pockets of pro-Gaddafi resistance remain.
The fugitive leader has vowed in an audio message to fight until victory or martyrdom.
His sprawling Bab al-Aziziya compound was overrun on Tuesday, though firefights within the complex have continued.
Col Gaddafi's forces are still firmly in control of his birthplace - the strategic coastal city of Sirte - as well as several key bases in southern Libya.

SOURCE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14658902)

24 August 2011 Last updated at 23:37