PDA

View Full Version : Problems with reloading saved games?

Systemlord
08-23-11, 03:10 AM
Every day when I come back to play again after loading my saved games it's, "torpedo in the water" like 30 times repeated over and over again! I wish I could shut him the hell up! While I'm not new to SH4 I'm only in my 3rd patrol and am already getting crashes to desktop ("Sorry if you were in the middle of something") on some saved games. What is wrong with this game? I mean it's been out for years now and we are still dealing with this bull ****...? Is there a way to actually play through the entire game without my saves getting all messed up? I'll be even more surprised if I actually get a reply.

Daniel Prates
08-23-11, 08:17 AM
I think lots of people report the same problem.... :x

Armistead
08-23-11, 09:11 AM
I don't get crashes with saves, but it's common to get the torp firing after loading a save. When you load a save, it generates what you did before, so if you fired torps, took damage, the game will take a few seconds to relive it when you load. This doesn't have anything to do with crashes or bad save, look elsewhere.

I've played for over a year without a bad save, can't really recall the last time I had one.

jldjs
08-23-11, 09:11 AM
You r not alone. I have concluded it is caused by conflicting or bad MOD installs, or "changing" files for whatever reasons after a mission/campaign has started. If ur running stock then MODs doesn't apply. I have been running CTD free with good save/reloads for past few months after molding up from fresh copy of stock 1.5. I still save alot but try not to keep more than 10 saves available for reloading by deleting saves earlier than at least 1 or 2 that load ok. I run TMO 2.2, RSRD, and about 10-12 other popular
mods w/o problems. If u stick to adding mods with jsgme u should be good. If u make changes yourself make sure u really know how.
Good luck it's really a great game to play.

Systemlord
08-24-11, 02:26 AM
No mods except for changing the starting renown to 500,000, I'll try a new campaign and see what happens. Thanks

Systemlord
08-26-11, 12:48 AM
Alright I started a new campaign and have done some researching on this and other forums related to SH4, I'm finding out that saving games while surfaced in the open ocean with no contacts and "All Stop" 0 knots pretty much fixes most loading issues. I would like to confirm with other's that say they do not have problems with their saved games throughout the entire SH4 campaign, so for you out there that rarely have a bad saved game that will not load properly how and where do you save your games? Do you save games underwater, also what is your normal routine for saving games?

Thank you, Systemlord.

magic452
08-26-11, 02:01 AM
I never have save game problems. I'll save any time, any place even with torpedoes in the water. About the only thing I do is go to the Nav. map and pause the game before I save. Don't know if this really helps or not that's just the way I always do it. I tend to think I'm more lucky than good. :yep: :D

Bad saves seem to be an individual thing some have problems others don't.

I put the game in it's own drive and nothing else on that drive. Don't have all that much on my game machine anyway. I also don't run too many mods nor use the same save over and over. The name of the boat what patrol number and than A B C etc. Over writing the same save seems to me to be problematic.

Turn off any background programs you can.

I really feel for those that have problems as I read about some very good patrols lost to bad saves. :damn: :damn: :damn:

Magic

Systemlord
08-26-11, 04:09 AM
I never have save game problems. I'll save any time, any place even with torpedoes in the water. About the only thing I do is go to the Nav. map and pause the game before I save. Don't know if this really helps or not that's just the way I always do it. I tend to think I'm more lucky than good. :yep: :D

Bad saves seem to be an individual thing some have problems others don't.

I put the game in it's own drive and nothing else on that drive. Don't have all that much on my game machine anyway. I also don't run too many mods nor use the same save over and over. The name of the boat what patrol number and than A B C etc. Over writing the same save seems to me to be problematic.

Turn off any background programs you can.

I really feel for those that have problems as I read about some very good patrols lost to bad saves. :damn: :damn: :damn:

Magic

I was around when SH3 first came out and there were the same save games problems then, it's nothing new as it happens in SH4 with two different computer builds. One thing I have never done is pause the game before saving, I think you might be on to something here! I learned my lesson years ago NEVER to overwrite a saved game, a big no no for PC games! I never do quick saves either, I will give it a pause from now on before saving and see if that does the trick. I sank me three Fuso, one Congo and four heavy cruisers within two patrols!

Thanks for the advice Magic, Systemlord.

WernherVonTrapp
08-26-11, 06:05 AM
Early on, years ago, while playing the stock version, I was having some difficulty with saved games failing to reload. Someone (I forget who) suggested that I save all my games from the Control Room. That immediately stopped all my saved games issues and I've been doing it that way ever since.
Welcome abroad.:salute:

EricW
08-26-11, 09:24 AM
Early on, years ago, while playing the stock version, I was having some difficulty with saved games failing to reload. Someone (I forget who) suggested that I save all my games from the Control Room. That immediately stopped all my saved games issues and I've been doing it that way ever since.
Welcome abroad.:salute:

This......

I also make sure that I'm ALL alone, surfaced out in the middle of nowhere...

paused, and in the control room.

Eric

Systemlord
08-26-11, 02:34 PM
This......

I also make sure that I'm ALL alone, surfaced out in the middle of nowhere...

paused, and in the control room.

Eric

I was told from the official Ubisoft forum that the team that developed SH4 did provide a fix for the saved game issues that have plagued submariner's. You need to right click on the SH4 shortcut, properties, then change from gu.exe to sh4.exe at the end of the code path as they stated. All of the saved game problems occurred after you exit SH4 and then try and reload after you re-launch SH4, this is where games would fail to load properly do to the gu.exe path, changing it to sh4.exe fixed those issues! :)

jldjs
08-27-11, 03:19 PM
I was told from the official Ubisoft forum that the team that developed SH4 did provide a fix for the saved game issues that have plagued submariner's. You need to right click on the SH4 shortcut, properties, then change from gu.exe to sh4.exe at the end of the code path as they stated. All of the saved game problems occurred after you exit SH4 and then try and reload after you re-launch SH4, this is where games would fail to load properly do to the gu.exe path, changing it to sh4.exe fixed those issues! :)
i wish it were that simple, but my latest CTD from trying to reload saves uses the Sh.exe and not the GU.exe. I've been running CTD free for last three months and out of nowhere, the last I played, 8/10, all five Save points on that day CTD! If I don't exit the game back to Windows (XP) I can reload. But if I exit the game, as I did 8/10, they CTD. But, the Save I took on 8/9 works!! See my previous post in this thread where I was almost bragging about no CTDs, lol. Others running XP that get this? I only have one HD so my Save files are on same HD as the game if that suggests anything to someone.

Systemlord
08-28-11, 12:44 AM
i wish it were that simple, but my latest CTD from trying to reload saves uses the Sh.exe and not the GU.exe. I've been running CTD free for last three months and out of nowhere, the last I played, 8/10, all five Save points on that day CTD! If I don't exit the game back to Windows (XP) I can reload. But if I exit the game, as I did 8/10, they CTD. But, the Save I took on 8/9 works!! See my previous post in this thread where I was almost bragging about no CTDs, lol. Others running XP that get this? I only have one HD so my Save files are on same HD as the game if that suggests anything to someone.

Exactly same with me, if I don't exit the game back to Windows games load problem free. It's when I exit the game to desktop and reload at a later date is when the CTD starts, surprised no one has figured that out yet...?

jldjs
08-28-11, 07:34 AM
Exactly same with me, if I don't exit the game back to Windows games load problem free. It's when I exit the game to desktop and reload at a later date is when the CTD starts, surprised no one has figured that out yet...?

Do you use XP? What is it about Magic452 and Armistead systems that they don't get this? The game is the same and I believe the MODs are the same! I don't accept that how you save is the issue. I've tried all the ways mentioned. When my "system" is working I can save anytime, anywhere with respect to the game situation. I really wonder if it is hardware related such as overheating of video adapter or something internal in the PC. I've been tracking this problem for months but don't have the game internal knowledge to understand. However, I'm leaning more to overheating because as I recall this past occurence, I had been playing the game for a few hours. I have a tower system and think I'll remove the side panels and run that way for a while and see if anything changes.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Gibus
08-28-11, 10:01 AM
If it can put you on track: I have a video card NVIDIA 460GTX liquid cooled. The phenomenon occurs frequently.
I do not think the video card is responsible.

Systemlord
08-28-11, 03:39 PM
Do you use XP? What is it about Magic452 and Armistead systems that they don't get this? The game is the same and I believe the MODs are the same! I don't accept that how you save is the issue. I've tried all the ways mentioned. When my "system" is working I can save anytime, anywhere with respect to the game situation. I really wonder if it is hardware related such as overheating of video adapter or something internal in the PC. I've been tracking this problem for months but don't have the game internal knowledge to understand. However, I'm leaning more to overheating because as I recall this past occurence, I had been playing the game for a few hours. I have a tower system and think I'll remove the side panels and run that way for a while and see if anything changes.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I hate to bust your theory of overheating, but I'm running a GTX480 with it's own quad (4 x 120mm) radiator to where once cooled by air peaked out at 95C. Now that it's under water cooling and it idles at 33C and peaks at 44C after six hours of gaming... no way is it overheating. This same game issue has happened with two different computer builds, P4/7800GTX and E6600/8800GTX. Last year I added the GTX480 and added water cooling to my E6600 build, I would not allow this hot GTX480 to spew out hot air out the back of my PC case that measured 215F. Yeah I know, my own personal heater for the winter! :D

Oh I forgot to mention that this save game issue plagued SH3 as well, so this isn't anything new. We might as well blame this save game issues on time compression lag to where the rest of the game is not caught up with you!