PDA

View Full Version : A year on, Chile miners' future hopes are unfulfilled

Gerald
08-21-11, 09:11 AM
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8002/546802040126048671.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/546802040126048671.jpg/)
Told nothing would be the same again, many of those trapped in the Chilean mine have returned to the lives they had before.

When the 33 miners who were trapped underground in Chile last year were finally rescued, great things were predicted for them.

They would be rich, films would be made about them, journalists would pay fortunes for their stories, and they would never have to work again.

-Reality has been far less kind.

One year on from the accident at the San Jose mine, half of them are unemployed and many of those who do have jobs are working part-time, as mechanics, odd-job men or greengrocers.

Several of the men are on sick leave and are still grappling with the psychological impact of what they went through.

A couple of the 33 have ventured back down the mines, although in places with far better safety records than San Jose, their prison for over two months.

-Legal suit.

Franklin Lobos, a former professional footballer-turned-miner, has returned to his roots, working as a coach for the local team, Deportes Copiapo.

Perhaps the most successful of the men are those who have become motivational speakers. People are still fascinated by their story, and some of the miners are making a living from retelling it.

"We're 33 different people," says Raul Bustos, who believes he and his fellow miners have all dealt with the psychological impact of their ordeal in their own different ways.
Miner Samuel Avalos waves after being winched to safety The Phoenix II capsule, used to winch the men to safety, is now housed in a museum

"In my case, I came off sick leave back in December," said Mr Bustos, who works as a guest speaker for a telephone company.

"The state, in turn, is still pursuing the mine owners in a bid to claw back the millions of dollars spent on last year's rescue. The mine itself remains closed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-14578721

Note: 21 August 2011 Last updated at 06:13 GMT

Torplexed
08-21-11, 11:48 AM
I think much like with the Uruguayan survivors of the plane crash in the Andes in 1972 their fame and fortune will grow with retrospection and the passage of time. The incident is still too fresh in the public mind.

Gerald
08-21-11, 11:52 AM
I admit that I had the same thoughts, :yep:

Randomizer
08-21-11, 11:58 AM
It would seem that just being alive is not enough unless fame and fortune is included...

Who were the "heroes" here, the rescuers or the rescued?

CCIP
08-21-11, 09:16 PM
I think the miners are just a case-in-point of everyday heroes that go into mines and risk their lives and health to do good work. I'm all for celebrating them, though perhaps not to the level of giving them celebrity lives. Them turning into media icons and millionaires in the end would send the wrong message and compromise their status as standing for everyday heroes anyway.

Feuer Frei!
08-21-11, 09:41 PM
I think what I would like to see here is a more detailed report on the Miner's wishes and hopes and what they truly want)ed).
Did they really want the fame, the money, the media spotlight? Do they now? Maybe some do, some don't.
Until we have individual personal accounts of each and every Miner's wishes or current view points on this article and how it has been written, in relation to the hopes and dreams of richness, fame and media spotlight, then I wave the report away. Wouldn't be surprised if its the usual one-sided, bs media write-ups, with extremely limited to non-existent testimonies/thoughts on this write-up.
And there is a obvious reason for that. We all know it.