PDA

View Full Version : NATO: It's Getting Harder to ID Targets in Libya

Feuer Frei!
08-21-11, 07:15 AM
NATO says the situation in Libya is changing quickly and it's becoming more difficult to identify and engage targets for airstrikes as the uprising against Moammar Gadhafi gains momentum.Libyan rebels said Sunday they were closing in on Gadhafi's main stronghold of Tripoli and a 600-strong unit is within 20 miles (30 kilometers) of the capital.
NATO spokesman Col. Roland Lavoie says he can't confirm that because the situation on the ground had become so fluid in recent days that it's difficult to track all developments.

He says much of the fighting now is concentrated in towns and villages, complicating the identification of targets. He says "there is no longer a traditional front line as we had in other phases of the conflict."

SOURCE (http://www.military.com/news/article/nato-its-getting-harder-to-id-targets-in-libya.html)

Gerald
08-21-11, 07:20 AM
That I do not agree with, due to a very detailed aerial reconnaissance as an example.

Jimbuna
08-21-11, 10:15 AM
I'm not convinced it's solely an identification problem only....if the fighting is now on the streets and in the buildings of towns and villages a major concern will more than likely now be innocent civilian casualties.

August
08-21-11, 11:13 AM
Time to let the Libyans finish it. Their victory over Quadaffi must be theirs.

Gerald
08-21-11, 11:29 AM
So true, :yep:

Jimbuna
08-21-11, 11:33 AM
Time to let the Libyans finish it. Their victory over Quadaffi must be theirs.

Rgr that...wouldn't care to be in his shoes if and when they get their hands on him...many an old score to be settled I should imagine :nope: