PDA

View Full Version : kind of an announcement.

Sledgehammer427
08-17-11, 10:52 PM
The other day, I was having a sabbatical at the hobby shop I frequent, the owner and I are acquainted, as he and my stepdad were friends growing up.
Well, he was talking about being involved in WWII re-enacting. His father was in the 501st PIR, of the 101st Airborne, he saw D-Day, Operation Market Garden, and, of course the Battle of the Bulge. The owner of this shop is the lead guy in the same group of re-enactors.
I told him I had great interest in joining the re-enactment team.

and he said, "Really, because we need a strapping young guy like you to carry around the .30 cal!"
:D

So, with a little money to throw down on some repro gear, and my stepdad willing to loan me the M-1 Garand (and the carbine version he also has)

Today, I stopped in at the shop and the owner stepped up, shook my hand and said,
"welcome to the 501st" :yeah:

it may not be much, maybe to you guys, but I've been in the doldrums lately, dealing with a bunch of personal and medical issues...
its like a breath of fresh air, and I have something to look forward to!
and get in shape for.
lugging around a .30 cal for a weekend isn't exactly a simple task

as soon as I have all my gear together there will be pics up.
and of course, if you come up to pennsylvania for the re-enactment, let me know, I'll be sure to say hi!

I'm looking forward to breaking in a pair of jump boots
EDIT: August, any suggestions?

Spyguy101
08-17-11, 10:58 PM
Congrats:woot:, i have a school friend who is in a re-enactment group and he goes on about how much fun it is

Sailor Steve
08-17-11, 11:07 PM
Cool. I can think of worse ways to spend your time. :sunny:

Castout
08-17-11, 11:11 PM
Cool. Whatever you do enjoy it. Boredom kills. No kiddin.

frau kaleun
08-18-11, 08:23 AM
OH HELLO I HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT STRAPPING YOUNG MEN IN TROOPER GEAR POSTING PICS? :D :O:

Congrats on your enlistment! Have fun! :woot:

Oberon
08-18-11, 09:19 AM
Eagles lead the way, give 'em hell! :salute:

Always thought about re-enactments myself, perhaps one day in the future.

I think one of the best ones I've seen has been the annual Battle of the Bulge event over at Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTuH5MYp-Q

Although there was a re-enactment somewhere in...Slovakia I think, that was very good. Let me find it. Ah! Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzIccrZuLo&list

August
08-18-11, 09:32 AM
August, any suggestions?

About what? Breaking in jump boots?

Soak them in water, apply a generous coat of saddle soap, rinse them off good then put them on wet, lace them up (all the way) and wear them until they mostly dry out. Make sure you keep checking that it isn't cutting off the blood flow to your feet. That means you'll be taking the boots off at least once every half hour or so.

After 8-10 hours of this take them off, put shoe trees into them and put them aside until they are completely dry.

Once they are apply a thick coat of polish and buff until you get a high shine. It's a pain I know but you'll end up with a pair of boots that fit you perfectly and will be far less likely to give you blisters.

Oh and BTW I was at the Army/Navy store in Attleboro the other day and they had WW2 style jump boots for sale. Pretty cheap too.

AVGWarhawk
08-18-11, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a fun activity. Everyone needs a hobby!

Jimbuna
08-18-11, 12:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing the pictures :sunny:

Sledgehammer427
08-18-11, 06:35 PM
About what? Breaking in jump boots?

exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much
:up:

Oberon, I may end up going to that one in PA, there is also one in PA the first weekend of June, when my unit will be going.
if I have my stuff together (250 USD for the helmet and liner alone, and yes, I've done a lot of shopping)
I'll try going to the Bulge re-enactment. I love me some winter.