PDA

View Full Version : SOS!! I've got a problem, ideas welcome!

AJ94CAP
08-09-11, 12:21 PM
Hey everyone, today when I started up SH4, and loaded my career (mid 1942), I noticed that every torpedo type and submarine upgrade was available even though most of them are not supposed to appear until '43-'44. So I told myself that something got corrupted in the save, said goodbye to that career:damn: and went to start a new one. (It wasn't a big deal, more of my careers end due to corrupt saves than any other reason). When I went to start a new career, I noticed that Midway was not available as a starting base, and "Alaska Command" and "New Construction" were both unavailable leaving me with a stock-esque 1941-44 set up for selection a career. This baffled me. So then I disabled all mods and re-enabled them via JSGME in the following order:

FOTRS V1.3
PE4 Install Main
PE4 Special Effects
PE4 TM Stock caustics rollpitch deeper
PE4 Real reflections for harbour and objects
Eye Patch for TMO V1.7
Hull Numbers
NEW Real Environment Mod
no trembling
PE4 High Quality Bow and Stern Wakes
SH4 Authentic Flags Mod
Slow Smoke V3
RSRDC_SH4V14_CTDFIX
TMO+RSRDC missions pack
Webster's Ship Manuevering Fix
PhotoRec Fix TMOall&Stock
USA Iowa
OPCFv1.2_green_TMOv1.52
Extra Allied Naval Bases for SH4 + UMB + TMO v1.7 (v1.0)
(ALL IN THAT ORDER)

The strange thing is that this mod set up has been working fine for a while, but today it all went down the drain... Any ideas?:doh:

Armistead
08-09-11, 12:59 PM
What game version are you using? I think FORS is based off 1.5 and it up to version FORS 2. It's possible older versions of FORS may be based off SH41.4, just don't know, but you're using a older version of FORS.

First, fix the mod soup, you have stacked mods and conflicting mods.

You're running FORS which probably has TMO's ver of Env.5
Then you're running another Env mod, PE over that, then yet other, Real Env over those, then you have several smaller env. effect over those and no telling what game version they were made in.

Scrap all the enviroment mods and use the one that comes with your supermod. Most megamods mods are tweaked to the env mod they include.

I have no idea how FORS handles bases, etc... Extra Naval Bases could be causing issues with FORS setup. Why FORS uses TMO as a base, I assume he made many changes to it.

Not sure why you're using RSRD CTDFix, that is a patch for a older version of the larger RSRD campaign mod which you aren't using.

Take Websters Man. fix, it may work with some ships in FORS, but I doubt it deals with the other ships added.

I think you have several mod issues.

If you want to use FORS for you mega mod, I would scrap everything and look in the FORS thread to see what other mods and versions others are using that work. Max the designer of it keeps an eye out and could probably help you.

AJ94CAP
08-09-11, 01:23 PM
Roger that. Strange. Though it is somewhat of a "soup" it had always worked fine and I liked the end results. I'll get rid of the mods you listed. And could you pass me a link to where I can DL FOTRS v2? I had no idea it was updated. Thanks.:rock:

AJ94CAP
08-09-11, 01:28 PM
UPDATE: Okay, I disabled EVERY mod except FOTRS which I plan on deleting as soon as I locate v2. It wasn't any of the environmental or graphical mods that was causing the error nor was it the extra bases mod. I took all of those out and FOTRS still wasn't working. It wasn't until I took out mods such as Hull Numbers and Eye Patch did I resolve the issue. :yep:

Armistead
08-09-11, 02:11 PM
Thread should be in the mods SH4 mods forum. Seems last I look he was ready to release 2, so I assume he has, but check.

Smaller mods not made based off game version or mod version can cause a lot of strange things. Some mods are made for 1.4, some 1.5, some both. Most supermods have already resolved or fixed issues that past small mods did.

The issue with env mods, is you're overwriting one with another, so you only get the effects of the last env mod in you install order, so no need to have others installed before that as you get no effect. If you have Real Env as you last env mod, that's what's showing up in game. Sensor settings are tweaked to env. setting, that's why it's best to just use the env. mod included with each supermod.

Main thing is when you use a mod, check to see what mods it works for. Some small mods include version for the seperate supermods.

The problem with many mods, they may work fine in game, until they're called upon, if a conflict comes up with other files...BOOM, CTD.

AJ94CAP
08-09-11, 04:10 PM
Looked under Gameplay and Mega Mods but no joy in finding it. Would you suggest using TMO instead since my version of FOTRS is outdated anyways?

EDIT: Just got word from another member, FOTRS is not released yet.:doh: So, is v1.3 the latest?

Just spent ten minutes looking for something that doesn't exist.:rotfl2:

WernherVonTrapp
08-09-11, 06:22 PM
As far as I know, FOTRS 1.3 is the latest version.;)

AJ94CAP
08-09-11, 07:52 PM
Thanks Werner. I went ahead and downloaded TMO and patched it to v2.2. I'll see how this goes and if I want I'll just re-activate FOTRS.

:salute:

Armistead
08-09-11, 09:27 PM
Yep, sorry AJ, last I talked with Max it was gonna be released, but I see he decided to take time to add more ships.

You'll like TMO, lacks some of the ships FORS has, but the focus is more on the sub and AI, plus you can add the ships if you want.

AJ94CAP
08-09-11, 10:11 PM
One more question, is it a feature that you see MUCH fewer ships in TMO than FOTRS? I spend 30 days at sea and sunk but two merchants for 7,000 tons. :nope: Oh, and following that up, is it a feature that the sonar works while on the surface? :06:

razark
08-09-11, 10:35 PM
One more question, is it a feature that you see MUCH fewer ships in TMO than FOTRS? I spend 30 days at sea and sunk but two merchants for 7,000 tons.
Yes. If you know where to look, you can find a lot more ships.

Oh, and following that up, is it a feature that the sonar works while on the surface?
That was a stock feature, I believe. And to some extent, realistic. Fleet Boats had some sonar equipment mounted on the bottom of the hull, and it could be used on the surface. It was nowhere near as effective as it is in the game however, and would only be usable at low speeds.

Armistead
08-09-11, 10:36 PM
One more question, is it a feature that you see MUCH fewer ships in TMO than FOTRS? I spend 30 days at sea and sunk but two merchants for 7,000 tons. :nope: Oh, and following that up, is it a feature that the sonar works while on the surface? :06:

Most US subs have sonar heads on the keel, so they have some hearing ability on the surface, I think the S boat is the only one that can't in TMO. The issue is they do hear just as good surfaced as dived, but if you make changes to deal with that, it would effect dived sonar values. So yes, subs could hear on the surface, but much better dived due to many factors. Most subs have two types of sonar in the game.

I don't know about FORS traffic layers, I assume it uses stock and he probably added traffic for some of his ships. TMO uses stock, but also reworked some historical traffic in. Stock traffic is very unrealistic, ships and planes can spawn about anywhere or anytime. Many prefer RSRD mod as it scripts traffic to almost historical perfect. Some have a hard time moving to RSRD, because they're use to traffic spawning about everywhere, but once you learn RSRD, stay in historic shipping lanes, you'll find plenty. Some of the invasion forces reach 60 ships. Also, almost every battle from large to small is perfectly scripted...it's one mod I couldn't play without.

Much depends on the way you want the game, subs didn't go out and sink 100K every patrol, most sunk a few ships per patrol, still I could go out and sink many ships. If you load the correct mods, cut the cams and contacts off, you'll find the game realistic with TMO/RSRD.

AJ94CAP
08-10-11, 09:08 AM
I FOUND ITTT!!! I found the mod that was creating the issue with startdates and probably everything else. It was "USS_Iowa" believe it or not. Even with TMO I was having problems so I went down my list one by one and found that this was the problem.:nope::rotfl2:

Daniel Prates
08-10-11, 06:10 PM
Yes. If you know where to look, you can find a lot more ships.

Which is basically 50% of the game's fun. I think this is valid for all mods.