PDA

View Full Version : Lifeboats?

Flaxpants
08-08-11, 02:46 AM
I haven't managed to play more than a few sessions of SH4 yet, but I have sunk 3 japanese merchants to date, and I have yet to see any lifeboats. Are they stock in SH4? (I play SH3 where they're not). When should I expect to see them?

I am using 1.5, RFB 2.0, RSRD.

Fish40
08-08-11, 08:00 AM
I'm running the same mod setup as you, and observe the same thing. They do show up once in awhile, but not after every sinking. Most of the time for me, it's just an oil slick, a couple of bodies, and debris.

Dogfish40
08-08-11, 08:58 AM
I see the same thing, however, I am seeing a pattern develop where ships that have crewman visible on deck are the ships that get the lifeboats off. Whereas ships with no visible crewmen or ships you sink at night are less likely to have lifeboats.
I'm only seeing lifeboats in about 1/3 of the ships sunk.
D40/On to Formosa...:salute:

Daniel Prates
08-08-11, 10:02 AM
I see the same thing, however, I am seeing a pattern develop where ships that have crewman visible on deck are the ships that get the lifeboats off. Whereas ships with no visible crewmen or ships you sink at night are less likely to have lifeboats.
I'm only seeing lifeboats in about 1/3 of the ships sunk.
D40/On to Formosa...:salute:

That would make sense, if it is an intentional feature. I thing that exploding ships would give little survival chance for crewmen on lower decks.

Dogfish40
08-08-11, 10:23 AM
That would make sense, if it is an intentional feature. I thing that exploding ships would give little survival chance for crewmen on lower decks.

Yes, Good point. It's just that type of thing, Violent explosions, the ship sinks quickly, no time to get any big lifeboats off. Maybe, a life-raft. I also am seeing a lot of empty life boats and rafts with no survivors.
Just for the sake of mentioning; I'm collecting more and more instances of ships sunk during the war, sinking very fast. Some of these ships did actually "Blow sky high" in the words of the Skippers. So most of the unfortunates on board would have very little time if they were anywhere but on deck.
Good Hunting.
D40

Armistead
08-08-11, 10:40 AM
Many of the lifeboats will fill, but when the deck crosses the water line, they're empty. If you watch the crew on deck when a ship sinks, when water covers their bodies, they vanish, somehow it has the same effect on men in the lifeboats, they also vanish when the deck goes under.

Not sure what decides how many lifeboat and living characters make it. I've sunk the same ship type and seen over 50 lifeboat, other times just a few. It may be related to damage and when the ship is considered sunk.
Often you will get the sunk message, but a ships deck will be above water, so you'll get more lifeboats.

AJ94CAP
08-08-11, 10:50 AM
I am running FOTRS V1.3 and notice that I get a lot of empty lifeboats (maybe 3 or so) after a ship is sunk. Is this an intentional feature? I guess it would have been possible for a few boats to break loose from the ship while sinking and float away.

Daniel Prates
08-08-11, 12:23 PM
I don't discard the possibility of this being just a bug - or less then a bug, a simple in-game calculation gone wrong. I've seen some weird things, for instance, crewmen moving around inside a burning bridge as the ship went down, which was pretty cool to see (in a creepy kind of way) bur hardly something planned by the programmers.

Flaxpants
08-08-11, 10:19 PM
Ok, so it's not only me- I was beginning to wonder if they were a mod, obviously not. It might be worth mentioning that I used the deck gun on a couple of those targets, so in those cases the whole boat had taken loads of damage all over before going down, maybe I got the crew before I got the boat.... I have resorted to the deck gun a couple of times as my torpedos have gone south, having trouble hitting the broadside of a barn at the moment. All good though, am loving SH4:DL

Dogfish40
08-09-11, 10:13 AM
Many of the lifeboats will fill, but when the deck crosses the water line, they're empty. If you watch the crew on deck when a ship sinks, when water covers their bodies, they vanish, somehow it has the same effect on men in the lifeboats, they also vanish when the deck goes under.

Not sure what decides how many lifeboat and living characters make it. I've sunk the same ship type and seen over 50 lifeboat, other times just a few. It may be related to damage and when the ship is considered sunk.
Often you will get the sunk message, but a ships deck will be above water, so you'll get more lifeboats.

Yes, I've noticed that most of the empty lifeboats have a good deal of water inside, as if they are sinking. So it would be a bug. I just noticed on a sinking the very thing you described. Crewmen on deck disappearing as the water came up to meet them. Same as the deck watch on the sub when submerging.

I don't discard the possibility of this being just a bug - or less then a bug, a simple in-game calculation gone wrong. I've seen some weird things, for instance, crewmen moving around inside a burning bridge as the ship went down, which was pretty cool to see (in a creepy kind of way) bur hardly something planned by the programmers.

So it would appear that this would be something that could be modded to correct it. If the lifeboats stay on top of the water, we should see a lot more survivors. I'm also wondering if this isn't caused by the ship sinking, causing the lifeboats to fill, much the same way as liferafts capsize on insertion missions. It might be fixable:hmmm:

Ok, so it's not only me- I was beginning to wonder if they were a mod, obviously not. It might be worth mentioning that I used the deck gun on a couple of those targets, so in those cases the whole boat had taken loads of damage all over before going down, maybe I got the crew before I got the boat.... I have resorted to the deck gun a couple of times as my torpedos have gone south, having trouble hitting the broadside of a barn at the moment. All good though, am loving SH4:DL

Yeah, that deck gun is great! Although, I shot three fish at a big tanker yesterday and was surprised to find them firing at my periscope! I got pretty close...anyway, the sound EFX of the passing shells was awesome, so much so that I let them fire a few extra times before lowering the scope. My point being, those merchants will sting sometimes. Watch out for those merchant deck guns.
Good Hunting all! :salute:
D40