PDA

View Full Version : Down Periscope!

Daniel Prates
07-19-11, 05:32 PM
I saw the other day this silly 1990s comedy filmed called 'down periscope', with Kelsey Grammer and others alike. Basic comedy plot, an unusual XO gets command of an old sub to participate in war trials, where they are supposed to loose (hence the old sub, a hand-picked crew of washout etc), but his 'creative' style eventually leads to victory.

Nothing new here. What is interesting is that all external shots are done with a real Balao, the USS Pampanito. Its a good chance to see some WW2 paraphernalia up close, specially the antenas we all talk about so often in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_Periscope

Bubblehead1980
07-19-11, 08:29 PM
I saw the other day this silly 1990s comedy filmed called 'down periscope', with Kelsey Grammer and others alike. Basic comedy plot, an unusual XO gets command of an old sub to participate in war trials, where they are supposed to loose (hence the old sub, a hand-picked crew of washout etc), but his 'creative' style eventually leads to victory.

Nothing new here. What is interesting is that all external shots are done with a real Balao, the USS Pampanito. Its a good chance to see some WW2 paraphernalia up close, specially the antenas we all talk about so often in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_Periscope

lol saw this when I was a kid and still watch it now and then, actually has some great lines in it.The plot itself was silly but the cast made the movie.

Yes the shots of the Pampanito were nice.

Sailor Steve
07-19-11, 10:27 PM
I was already well into adulthood when it was released (my kids were already in their teens) and I made a point of carefully avoiding it. I felt justified in this when I caught the last couple of minutes and saw the Village People, of all things.

Now reading your descriptions of the shots of Pampanito I'm rethinking that decision, especially when DVDs are so cheap these days. I have some absolutely dreadful movies in my collection just for a shot of a submarine or airplane, so why should I change now? :sunny:

Daniel Prates
07-20-11, 09:37 AM
I felt justified in this when I caught the last couple of minutes and saw the Village People, of all things.

haha! Yeah, Village People, of all things. Certainly not the best of movies. Let's call it something you would watch on cable if there were nothing else on.

Mescator
07-20-11, 08:40 PM
haha! Yeah, Village People, of all things. Certainly not the best of movies. Let's call it something you would watch on cable if there were nothing else on.

Yeah, it's alright, nothing brilliant though. The part where the chick is telling the captain the boat is at crush depth is cringeworthy.

There is a few moments where it does very well though. The sunbaking seaman part is quite good. And right at the start.

"Screw tactics. Think like a pirate! I want a man with a tattoo on his dick!"

Daniel Prates
07-21-11, 09:17 AM
"Screw tactics. Think like a pirate! I want a man with a tattoo on his dick!"

haha! I had forgotten this. Yeah, there is that part when the cook gives away theyr position with his 'bowel movemens'.

Come to think of it, there are some good laughs there.

commandosolo2009
07-21-11, 02:05 PM
I especially liked the part when the SO mimics whales mating :har: