PDA

View Full Version : Are you dumber than a government worker?

Platapus
07-13-11, 06:57 PM
If you found a half empty cup of coffee laying on the ground would you drink from it?

If you found half a sandwich by the side of the road, would you eat it?

If you found a flash drive laying in the parking lot, would you insert it into a government or corporate computer?

http://gcn.com/articles/2011/06/30/dhs-test-found-thumb-drives-disks-network.aspx

A recent penetration test by the Homeland Security Department highlighted a glaring weakness that keeps security professionals up at night. DHS staff deliberately dropped data disks and USB flash drives in federal agency and contractor parking lots. According to Idappcom (http://www.idappcom.com/), a network security firm, 60 percent of those planted data devices, which could easily hold malicious code, were inserted into company or agency computers.
And if the data device had an official logo, the ***8220;success rate***8221; for it being inserted into an organization***8217;s network rose to 90 percent.
***8220;There is no device known to mankind that prevents people from being idiots,***8221; said Ray Bryant, Idappcom***8217;s CEO.

Evidently all an FIS agent needs to do is supply him or her self with flash drives with malicious code and a sling shot and shoot flash drives into parking lots. 60% chance of success. We have invested in operations with a lot less chance of success for a lot more money.

WTF?

razark
07-13-11, 07:03 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Platapus
07-13-11, 07:06 PM
How about that quote without all those annoying numbers

A recent penetration test by the Homeland Security Department highlighted a glaring weakness that keeps security professionals up at night. DHS staff deliberately dropped data disks and USB flash drives in federal agency and contractor parking lots. According to Idappcom (http://www.idappcom.com/), a network security firm, 60 percent of those planted data devices, which could easily hold malicious code, were inserted into company or agency computers.
And if the data device had an official logo, the success rate for it being inserted into an organization's network rose to 90 percent.

There is no device known to mankind that prevents people from being idiots, said Ray Bryant, Idappcom's CEO.

Madox58
07-13-11, 07:14 PM
One of the surest ways into any system is to drop a few flash drives into a parking lot.
This has been done since the things came out!
Only now days they are so cheap that it's a worthy investment to use them as a way into a system.

This approach to gain access to systems started with the old 5 1/4" floppies.
:03:

Sailor Steve
07-13-11, 08:17 PM
I chose option C: Not vote. I see through your insidious scheme to find out who'd do what, you nosey-Parker gubmint hacker-tracker, you!

frau kaleun
07-13-11, 08:22 PM
If you found half a sandwich by the side of the road, would you eat it?

McBee is busy working but he wanted me to ask you if the sandwich has bacon on it. He said he can't answer this one until he knows one way or the other.

kiwi_2005
07-13-11, 08:35 PM
Why am I the only dummy that would insert it into a govenment computer :88)

Cause your dumb kiwi... :haha:

Curiosity got the better of me :cool:

Growler
07-13-11, 09:15 PM
Somebody ELSE'S gummint computer, maybe.

TLAM Strike
07-13-11, 09:28 PM
STUXNET anyone? :haha:

MothBalls
07-14-11, 01:47 AM
I chose option C: I would choose option C: as well. I'd stick it in Steve's computer.

Feuer Frei!
07-14-11, 01:58 AM
So what do the 3 (25%) that voted government all the way have to say for themselves?
And we know who you are :DL

Castout
07-14-11, 02:15 AM
What if you found a sexy women lying on the parking lot. . .

would you insert it into your home?

FIREWALL
07-14-11, 02:16 AM
:har: This is to the dumb but, honest 3 posters :salute:... :up:

Castout
07-14-11, 03:09 AM
I'd insert it too actually out of curiosity. I'd rely on the power of the PC Anti virus system. Ha ha.

Herr-Berbunch
07-14-11, 03:17 AM
Three would - and yet still know the potential outcome!!! :nope:

All governments and corporate IT depts should run tight controls regarding anything you can insert. Furthermore, there should be a 'sheep-dip' computer to run any such things through in relative safety before unleashing on their network.

Feuer Frei!
07-14-11, 03:24 AM
What if you found a sexy women lying on the parking lot. . .

would you insert it into your home?
For a moment there i thought you were gonna say something else there.
Must be just me and my mind in the gutter :haha:

Castout
07-14-11, 03:29 AM
For a moment there i thought you were gonna say something else there.
Must be just me and my mind in the gutter :haha:

:DL Nah you were just being normal I guess.

Sailor Steve
07-14-11, 11:57 AM
I would choose option C: as well. I'd stick it in Steve's computer.
Good luck getting past my personal anti-everything protection. And I'd tell you where you can stick it, but I'm to polite a person to say things like that in public. :O:

Stealhead
07-14-11, 03:55 PM
Good luck getting past my personal anti-everything protection. And I'd tell you where you can stick it, but I'm to polite a person to say things like that in public. :O:

How much is that anti-everything protection?I might be a buyer if you are selling.

Sailor Steve
07-14-11, 03:59 PM
How much is that anti-everything protection?I might be a buyer if you are selling.
He was joking. So was I. In this case it just means before he could stick anything into my computer he'd have to get into my place and past me. If he failed, he failed. If he suceeded I'd probably be beyond caring. :D

kraznyi_oktjabr
07-14-11, 04:05 PM
For me it depends on which government's computer system is available... :DL

the_tyrant
07-14-11, 08:07 PM
You know, I have mistakenly inserted many USB drives into my computers
I'm not stupid enough to insert random USB drives that i find in random places, but at gaming sessions and in classrooms i have mistakenly inserted stuff before

after all, USB drives all look similar

Feuer Frei!
07-14-11, 08:17 PM
As of this post we still have the same 3 'government inserters'.
How do you feel? :D

MothBalls
07-14-11, 08:18 PM
And I'd tell you where you can stick it, but I'm to polite a person to say things like that in public. :O:Some people pay extra for that.:woot:

Sailor Steve
07-14-11, 08:54 PM
Some people pay extra for that.:woot:
:rotfl2: :rock: