PDA

View Full Version : warning: deadly accurate coastal batteries

Frank Ravelli
07-12-11, 04:50 PM
Hi there,

I have just started a new campaign using the mods TMO 2.1+RSRD and my first mission is patrolling 85 nm south of Tokio. I approached the opening of Tokio bay at night, hoping to find some convoy or lone merchant travelling the route in or out of the bay. I noticed a couple of icons that wasnīt there when using TMO 2.1 without RSRD. They are coastal batteries icons. The distance to the closest battery was about 13 nm. Dark night. Suddenly a shell hits my boat, followed by several splashes on the water around me. I was so astonished by the situation that i kept searching for a DD in the area, but there was none. By the time i dove to periscope depth i had 31 hull damage and the batteries compartment flooded.
Is this a feature of RSRD? I am just curious about it. The mod is supposed to affect traffic only isnt it?

Anyway, I felt like warning you guys not to feel too confident when you see that icon close to your sub, even in the dark :salute:

Rockin Robbins
07-12-11, 05:25 PM
It was just the local natives wishing you good day!:D

WernherVonTrapp
07-12-11, 06:12 PM
I've never experienced a coastal battery showing up on the map at 13nm. You sure it wasn't 1300yds? Trust me, the shells came from a much closer shore gun. Probably 6000yds or less.

Daniel Prates
07-12-11, 07:43 PM
I read about shore batteries being radar-oriented at some point in the war, but I'm thinking about british heavy guns in the english channel. I doubt the japanese had anything like it.

Frank Ravelli
07-14-11, 03:46 AM
I've never experienced a coastal battery showing up on the map at 13nm. You sure it wasn't 1300yds? Trust me, the shells came from a much closer shore gun. Probably 6000yds or less.

If there was any battery closer than those 13nm it was not depicted on the map, this is for sure. Thatīs why i almost got sunk, as i tried to find the source of the shooting, to no avail

WernherVonTrapp
07-14-11, 08:53 AM
Coastal batteries don't show up on the map unless they're within visual range. What you probably saw on the map was some type of air base. There are a couple of air bases that show up on the map as you approach Tokyo. Were you in TC at the time you were shelled?

Armistead
07-14-11, 09:19 AM
Wernher is right, you will see a lil black icon that shows up for air bases, but they pop up when your in range, usually 3-500 miles, but shore guns use the same generic icon, using RSRD.

I don't know if the shore guns now have the range of ship guns since Duci adjusted them, but the longest I've been hit is 5nms now, the range use to be 6000 yards.