PDA

View Full Version : Warning of public sector strike threat to UK travel

Gerald
06-29-11, 04:38 AM
Travellers have been warned to expect delays on arrival at UK ports and airports on Thursday as hundreds of immigration and customs officers are due to join the public sector strike.

People are being advised to think about travelling on alternative dates.

Up to 750,000 teachers and civil servants are due to strike over planned pension changes they say will mean them working longer and paying more.

Business leaders have warned of the impact of the walkout on the economy.

Addressing the Local Government Association conference, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said the strikes would not help Britons or the trade union movement.

Mr Clegg said: "We are absolutely adamant in government that this issue can only, and must only, be resolved through dialogue and discussion, not through strikes and conflict.

"We quite simply have to stick with it. We have to keep on talking and sort it out."

Airport operator BAA, which runs Heathrow, Stansted, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Southampton airports, said it had been informed by the UK Border Agency "arriving passengers should expect delays at the UK border on Thursday as a result of industrial action by immigration officers".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13953678

Note: 29 June 2011 Last updated at 09:24 GMT

papa_smurf
06-29-11, 04:56 AM
This is going to be a severe test of the coalition, though I did love how the education minister Michael Gove suggested that parents should step in when teachers went on strike - so he wants the all the take a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau check AND do a teachers job, talk about coming form the world of fantasy:har:

STEED
06-29-11, 09:06 AM
Michael Gove is unfit to be left in charge of his own underpants!

One day on strike will have no effect on Pinky & Perky better known as Cameron & Clegg. The Unions should walkout outright and stay out unit Pinky & Perky are taken to the knackers yard.

BossMark
06-29-11, 10:09 AM
Gove
Cameron
Clegg
:har::haha::har::haha:
They couldn't run a bath or a piss up in brewery

STEED
06-29-11, 05:43 PM
BossMark your sig- Never trust the Tories look what Thatcher and Major did in the 80s and 90s

This should be updated with - Don't trust Labour look what Blair and Brown did in the 90's and 00's lied cheated and stole from us along with landing this country with over £90 million pound debt.

Don't trust any of the big three there all B******d's.

Up the Revolution.

Tarrasque
06-29-11, 05:52 PM
Steed:

Actually there's been people that have looked at the figures and found that ignoring recession itself, the structural deficit under Labour was the same as the current coalition target. In other words, regardless of their faults (and they had many) the Labour government wasn't to blame for the deficit, but the global recession was.

Basically it's yet another excuse used by the coalition government to justify their ideological based 'cuts' that are not only costing more money than they are saving, but are crippling the country.

STEED
06-29-11, 06:04 PM
Gordon Brown is a total blockhead when it comes to money. I agree not all the debt is the fault of labour but they did add to it. I agree not a month passes by without hearing pinky & perky (Cameron/Clegg) given vast sums of money away here there and every where. The actions of pinky & perky are not helping this country one bit.

One thing that made me laugh Cameron has a chin wag with the EU and reads them the riot act..UK will not give any more money to Greece and the EU said OK by us and then what dose Cameron do? He donates £1 Billion to the IMF to give to Greece!

Tarrasque
06-29-11, 06:06 PM
£1 billion? Last I heard, the pillock was upping our subscription by nearly £10 billion.

STEED
06-29-11, 06:15 PM
£1 billion? Last I heard, the pillock was upping our subscription by nearly £10 billion.

Oh s**t. :o

At this rate the only person(s) who will be working are the ones who press the start/stop button on the printing money press. :shifty: ;)

yubba
06-29-11, 08:28 PM
Haven't seen Oberon, wondering if he's out strike-ing and I wonder what John Lennon would think of that, he bein a conservative an all:hmmm:

Gerald
06-30-11, 04:10 AM
Services including job centres and courts are being hit and thousands of schools closed as public sector workers across the UK stage a 24-hour strike.

Picket lines have been set up as the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) and three teaching unions protest at planned changes to their pensions.

They say the plans mean more work and contributions for a reduced pension.

The government says the plans are "fair to taxpayers" and other trade unions are continuing with negotiations.

As well as pickets, union leaders and activists will hold a march and rally in central London, where police leave has been cancelled.
Airport delays

The impact of the co-ordinated industrial action began to be felt at ports and airports on Wednesday evening, when some UK Border Agency staff walked out from 1800 BST.

Travellers have been warned to expect delays on arrival at UK ports and airports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13967580

Note: Update Record, 30 June 2011 Last updated at 08:26 GMT

BossMark
06-30-11, 04:17 AM
The government says the plans are "fair to taxpayers" and other trade unions are continuing with negotiations.

:har:
This government doesn't know what fair means even if runs up and smacked em in face

Gerald
06-30-11, 04:31 AM
Good thing there are many ways to get into the country, if it is problem at the border, :smug:

Snestorm
06-30-11, 04:53 AM
Good thing there are many ways to get into the country, if it is problem at the border, :smug:

Just ask any immigrant.

The immigrants enter, as the jobs leave.
The taxes rise, as the wages fall.

Gerald
06-30-11, 04:58 AM
Just ask any immigrant.

The immigrants enter, as the jobs leave.
The taxes rise, as the wages fall. Yes that's one way, but had thought of another, :know:

jumpy
06-30-11, 05:51 AM
Mark Steel: Teaching? Anyone can do that

Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Tomorrow's strike of teachers and civil servants should be one of the most enjoyable industrial disputes, now that Michael Gove has asked parents to pop into school to take the lessons themselves. That ought to keep teachers in their place, knowing they've been replaced by a French teacher who says, "Now listen, I've not actually done much French as such. But I HAVE delivered wardrobes for one of Norfolk's leading furniture suppliers.
"So to start with, let's see how you deal with a problem that might occur while you're on holiday in Brittany. You're on the beach, and suddenly remember you need to get a wardrobe delivered to your uncle's house in Great Yarmouth. You ring Terry at 'All Over Anglia' Ltd, who don't speak a word of French by the way, so how do you phrase your question to him?"

And teaching methods now are so different from when most parents were at school. So they'd leave the kids bemused, saying things like, "This morning we're learning the causes of the independence movement in India. Now as I understood it, the Indian is a basically happy chap but easily roused by troublemakers, so pad that out a bit and you should scrape an O-level."
And if anyone can pop along and help out, presumably somewhere a lucky class will be told: "Because of the strike, today you're very lucky to have your biology lesson taken by Mr Jonathan King."
The worry is the Government will decide all jobs requiring at least a couple of hours' training can also be done by whoever fancies popping in. Spirited members of the public with a spare hour can nip along and do some architecture, or heart surgery, or design an engine or fly a plane. That might make these cosseted workforces realise they're not as invaluable as they think.
The reason they're so determined to keep the schools open is, according to Michael Gove, the strike will "damage the children's education". Opponents of the strike also say the teachers are "taking out their grievance on our children". So it must be an extremely important day they'll be missing. Presumably Michael Gove was just as furious when schools were closed for the royal wedding, yelling: "How dare this ceremony condemn an entire generation to a life of miserable failure? Couldn't they have got married on a Saturday like normal people, for 20 minutes around tea-time so it didn't disturb their homework?"
Presumably there must be thousands of people whose life has been a wasted litany of drug abuse, because the school was shut for a general election in 1979, and on a day when they'd have learned about pollination as well, so they ended up a botanical idiot and now they sleep in the park. And to make it worse they can't even name the plants they're next to.
And in 20 years' time the most successful people in science, business and sport will be those who gained a huge advantage because their school stayed open tomorrow, so they were taught chemistry by a retired accountant, who may have spilt acid over a girl, but put the children before his selfish needs and that's the main thing.
Thankfully, with our children being so damaged by a day off, (and children across Britain do seem extremely upset by this), they're not so delicate about other trends in education. The fact they'll all be 50 grand in debt when they leave university, for example, doesn't seem to trouble them at all. And if fewer people are attracted to teaching because the pension scheme is worse, so there will be more schools where, in some subjects, the kids are without a teacher at all, that should be to their advantage, especially if it means they get taught instead by a biscuit salesman who sees a fight, barges to the front and yells: "Go on, Jimmy, SMACK him," and ends the day by saying "WAIT. The bell is a signal for you, it is NOT a signal for me. Oh bollocks, hang on, I've got
that wrong." I'm not a massive fan of mark steel - he's quite funny sometimes and I don't always go with his ideas on politics, but what he says above rings true with the way the government is decrying the teacher strikes like it is going to blight the lives of countless children.... like the university fees fiasco.

There's a lot of hyperbole, but the government (any of them really, past, present or future) seems to be so radically detached from the reality that most ordinary people experience it's a wonder they even condescend to think about us at all.
An example: I had a look at the elected members declaration of interests recently - basically a list of all mp's earnings and expenses. One back bench mp earned in excess of £48,000.00 for such things as after dinner speaking and 'consultancy' fees to businesses, this was on top of his earnings as an elected member of parliament. £48,000.00 - that's more than most 'average' people will earn in two years. No wonder they have no real affinity for the man in the street.
Oooh, striking and unions are evil, how dare people stand up for their rights and pensions! tut tut... well you should have heard the negative discussions in the houses of parliament when mp's were faced with having their expenses claims audited, you may have been forgiven for thinking that perhaps this disgraceful indignity was akin to having a forced prostate examination on top of that plinth in trafalgar square!

On the news a couple of days ago, reporting on the greece rioting over the austerity vote, you had young and highly qualified people (one was a civil engineer) out of work and angry about the whole state of affairs and having no say in the cause or solution to their country's massive financial problems, apart from the fact that they will have to bear the weighty cost of it (unlike the elected politicians - just like our lot then...).
A minister was saying how these people are angry at there being no jobs and severe financial hardship that they did not cause by just trying to earn a living. What she said next staggered me - paraphrased "all these people rioting in the street are angry about all the economic hardships and loss of employment, which is understandable to some extent, but the problem with these people is that they are just angry and apart from that they bring no solutions for the problems" :o Well, you're the politician, the elected member of government, isn't that supposed to be your job?

As paxman said on news night the other day (regarding greece's financial problems) 'venal and incompetent'. Had I not heard the précis I could have sworn he was referring to the UK.

I know plenty of teachers and they have a bloody hard job. I know people in public service, they have a largely thankless job, with until recently was relatively immune to the market forces that dictate employment and redundancy that is rampant in the profit motivated private sector. Now they are waking up to the fact that there is no security in their jobs and they are being forced to give up what they have worked for and already faced compromise agreements in respect of pay and pensions and the like. Now they are expected to take further cuts of their means and future security?
FFS. My own personal feeling is that this country ought to look to its own first in how it spends its money and stop giving it away to corrupt dictatorial regimes who foster extremism, before we slash spending on our own people. Not that these cuts will make any difference to the national debt - then never have done in the past and they will not now.

I have been living the economic dream of redundancy and unemployment right through the recession and am now faced with rising debt (I was totally debt free at the start) and the very real prospect of creditors knocking at my door, not because of extravagant and decadent spending and lifestyle choices, but to maintain a subsistence existence, treading water, using the barest minimum of resources and spending only on what I need to live on and nothing more. The lack of decent paying work to meet the basic needs of food shelter and warmth is crippling.
I have every sympathy with those choosing to strike over pay and pensions - they only have to take one look at people in positions like mine to see their fate if they just stand there and do nothing. Some might say they ought to be grateful they still have jobs. True. But if they don't fight for their dues they will see it all taken away from them by people who already have their seat on the gravy train guaranteed.

To quote spitting image over politicians: "it's better to be on the train pissing out of the window than running along the platform trying to piss in."

If I was not so fundamentally effected by the recession and subsequent cuts and the knock on effect to the industry my employment is dependent upon, I would laugh and laugh and laugh out loud at the irrepressible hilarity of it all.

There is, however, nothing remotely funny about it.

Nothing at all.

Tarrasque
06-30-11, 06:13 AM
@ Jumpy :salute:

Very well said.

STEED
06-30-11, 10:34 AM
The government says the plans are "fair to taxpayers"

B****CKS LIKE HELL IT IS!

Private sector pensions have been screwed and now there trying it on in the public sector.

MP's read the riot act at the watchdog that over looks there expensive's and the result there slipping back in to there dirty little grubby grab it all and fu** you ways.

I am so sick of that lot at Westminster I would not bat a eye lid if the whole bloody lot were put up against the wall.

Tarrasque
06-30-11, 06:35 PM
I am so sick of that lot at Westminster I would not bat a eye lid if the whole bloody lot were put up against the wall.

Couldn't possibly do that - it'd be a breach of their human rights.

Gerald
07-01-11, 09:56 AM
Hundreds of thousands of public sector workers have gone on strike across the UK over planned pension changes.

Teachers from three unions walked out, with at least 40% of state schools in England and Wales disrupted.

Workers in numerous government departments and agencies also did not turn up for work, and their union said turnout was strong throughout the UK.

However, the government disputed union claims, saying fewer than 100,000 civil servants were on strike at midday.

The government said the public sector pension plans were "fair to taxpayers" and the other 25 public sector unions not on strike on Thursday were continuing with negotiations.
Disputed turnout

The Public and Commercial Services union said early indications from pickets suggested about 210,000 of its members participated in the strike.

However, the government said figures gathered "from every government department" indicated that just under 100,000 civil servants went on strike, meaning 75% were at work.

With three teachers' unions taking action, the government said about 40% of state schools in England and Wales have been closed or partially shut.

It has condemned the strike as has the opposition, although Labour leader Ed Miliband has accused ministers of mishandling negotiations with the unions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13967580

Note; Update Record,30 June 2011 Last updated at 16:38 GMT

STEED
07-01-11, 12:22 PM
Couldn't possibly do that - it'd be a breach of their human rights.

You got a good point there, I forgot Human Rights was anagram for Criminal Rights and as that lot are criminals there walk with compensation of £5 million each and a free world tour.

yubba
07-01-11, 01:30 PM
looks like Mexxesota to me

Jimbuna
07-01-11, 01:36 PM
B****CKS LIKE HELL IT IS!

Private sector pensions have been screwed and now there trying it on in the public sector.

MP's read the riot act at the watchdog that over looks there expensive's and the result there slipping back in to there dirty little grubby grab it all and fu** you ways.

I'm so relieved I got my pension before they could change any of the rules :DL

The downside is my party membership is nearly £2 per month now :-?

yubba
07-01-11, 01:46 PM
I'm so relieved I got my pension before they could change any of the rules :DL

The downside is my party membership is nearly £2 per month now :-? Glad that you are well.

Jimbuna
07-01-11, 02:00 PM
Glad that you are well.

As much as the above is true I was attempting to come across as somewhat cynical.

STEED
07-01-11, 02:11 PM
The downside is my party membership is nearly £2 per month now :-?

What? The International mad poster's party.

You should read the rule book jim, more you post more you have to pay.

UP THE REVOLUTION. :DL

Jimbuna
07-01-11, 02:14 PM
What? The International mad poster's party.

You should read the rule book jim, more you post more you have to pay.

UP THE REVOLUTION. :DL

Aye that :rock:

http://cyberboris.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/wolfie-smith1.jpg