PDA

View Full Version : So I've been away a bit.

Growler
06-19-11, 02:32 PM
And see that the same players are playing the same games in a lot of ways. The Beautiful Women thread is thriving, the Last One to Post thread is still lingering, and new/old stuff is reemerging. Looks like good times have been had by all, no doubt.

So. As I said, I've been away a bit. Turns out that, after a little over a year dealing with Mom's illness, passing, and estate, it was time to get back to work.

So I did... and in a big way:

I'm now the Site Manager (Pier Three) for the Historic Ships in Baltimore museum, with the responsibility for maintenance, upkeep, and preservation of WLV-116 "Chesapeake" and USS Torsk (SS-423).

This has got to be the BEST job I've ever had. :DL

Onkel Neal
06-19-11, 03:23 PM
Welcome back, Growler :salute:

Sounds like you have been through a lot, we're here for you, buddy.

Neal

Tchocky
06-19-11, 03:34 PM
Allow me to be the first with - I want your job! :up:

FIREWALL
06-19-11, 03:53 PM
Glad to see ya back Growler. :salute:

magic452
06-19-11, 03:59 PM
NOW there is a good job. :woot:

Good luck with it and welcome back. :salute:

Magic

Growler
06-19-11, 05:07 PM
What a long, strange trip it's been... and, apparently, is going to be as well.

Some exciting stuff coming up for Torsk; I can't go into a ton of details right now, since I've not carried the proposal forward to the Museum yet (though I anticipate its' approval), but suffice it to say, some great photo ops will come out of it. I'll post more details once the plan's approved, including timeframe - it'd be great to organize a mini-Subsim meet around this one.

The boat's in great shape coming out of dry dock back in March. Might be a slow leak in MBT2C, but we're monitoring that to be sure. Torsk had a slight list to starboard that we corrected last week, and appears to be holding even, so that's looking good.

Strip ship in Philly tomorrow, which I won't be attending, and another on Thursday which I hope to be attending.

In anyone's been to Baltimore and seen Torsk, or is planning to, let me know - the boat's come a LONG way from where it was even five or ten years ago, let alone the nearly 40 that she's been in the Inner Harbor. The fine crew of volunteers have done yeoman work over the years.

This is a dream job for me; in some ways, a totally Mike-Rowe-Dirty-Job, and I'll confess to never being happier in my work life. The fact that several of the Museum higher-ups told me that they couldn't be happier to see me in this job, and that some of the volunteers for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration expressed their happiness (and relief) over my appointment meant more to me than words could ever express. I've left work every day for the last two weeks sweaty, dirty, bleeding in some places, burned in others, physically worn-out... and totally, completely satisfied with what I'd been able to accomplish those days.

I'm sorta humbled, and awed, and grateful for it all - I hope to be able to do good things for both Torsk and Chesapeake while it's my chance to do so.

kraznyi_oktjabr
06-19-11, 05:13 PM
Nice to see you back Growler! :up:

I had been wondering your limited presence.

EDIT: Btw out of curiosity. Is this somewhat similar job when compared to your previous ones or something totally different? It sounds dream job (I wanna it! :DL) after being CO in active submarine ofcourse.

Reece
06-19-11, 05:23 PM
Welcome back!:yep: Sorry to hear about your Mum.:oops: Mine passed away less than 2 years ago, so I know the pain you have to go through.:cry: however your new job will help to take your mind off this and sure sounds like a job I would have loved, and regarding this congratulations.:yeah:
Reece.

Jimbuna
06-19-11, 05:35 PM
Sorry to learn of your sad loss....welcome back and wishing you every success inyour ne job.

Keep an eye on that slacker AVG won't you :O:

AVGWarhawk
06-19-11, 07:09 PM
slacker AVG

Ya got me. Been a while since I have been to the Torsk. Life get gets in the way sometimes.

I'm now the Site Manager (Pier Three) for the Historic Ships in Baltimore museum, with the responsibility for maintenance, upkeep, and preservation of WLV-116 "Chesapeake" and USS Torsk (SS-423).

:yeah: Some happy folks on the Torsk!

Weiss Pinguin
06-19-11, 07:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your mother; loss is never easy, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose someone that close and important.

Allow me to be the first with - I want your job! :up:
Personally I can't say I would want the job of managing all that work... But I would love to be on the low, messy end of that chain, doing all the dirty work restoring those boats. But it sounds like you're still getting to do plenty of that as it is ;)

Castout
06-19-11, 07:40 PM
Cool job. I'm sorry for your loss Growler.

CCIP
06-19-11, 08:29 PM
Welcome back Growler and congrats on your new job! :yep:

Penguin
06-20-11, 09:35 AM
Welcome back Herr Growler! :Kaleun_Salute:

Good to see you back on board and that you found a satisfying job - a dream job for every subnut.

And see that the same players are playing the same games in a lot of ways. The Beautiful Women thread is thriving, the Last One to Post thread is still lingering, and new/old stuff is reemerging.
lol, I've been away for only 10 days and have the same impressions :DL

Jimbuna
06-20-11, 10:57 AM
Ya got me. Been a while since I have been to the Torsk. Life get gets in the way sometimes.

LOL :03:

Growler
06-20-11, 04:49 PM
Nice to see you back Growler! :up:

I had been wondering your limited presence.

EDIT: Btw out of curiosity. Is this somewhat similar job when compared to your previous ones or something totally different? It sounds dream job (I wanna it! :DL) after being CO in active submarine ofcourse.

Well, I'm back at the same museum, where once I worked the softer side of things - back when my job brief was answering tourist questions like, "Where's the nearest bathroom?" "How much does it cost?" and "How'd a Russian sub get here?" (No kidding.) That was fun, (OK, well, maybe not in a literal sense) but I did get some infrequent contact with subvets of all stripes and some genuine good kids on overnight programs from time to time.

In this case, though, my contact with the public is a little less structured, and the work on the ships is much more detailed and rigorous. Spent a lot of time in the Radio/Beacon Room on Chesapeake, cleaning and organizing some more, polishing what furniture can be polished, removing some of the anachronisms to places out of public sight.

More than likely, I'll be in Torsk's FTR tomorrow, working on the copper warhead shroud on a MkXIV, trying to remove a LOT of years of tarnish. It's little stuff like that sometimes, and others, it's fussing with a P-100 pump that doesn't want to start. It's an absolute dirty, sweaty, stinking, bloody BLAST.

Appreciate the kind words from all of you, truly - for all the trials of the past year, I couldn't have imagined then being as lucky as I feel today.

As to keeping an eye on AVG - well, hate to say it, but I know as he does that there have been people who allegedly "worked" there that would make even a dead guy look productive... that said, Warhawk - your FER misses you!

AVGWarhawk
06-21-11, 10:40 AM
your FER misses you!

So does Tim. But he is always on a cruise in the Caribbean. :DL I need to get down there again if not just one or two Saturday mornings a month. The FER was looking quite good the last time I was there.

Armistead
06-22-11, 04:39 PM
The last I was there was 4 years ago, can't wait until I can go again. Sounds like a dream job doing what you like.

Sorry about your mom. Mine died a few months ago, she was ill, but death wasn't epected, so it's terrible when us sons lose our moms. I basically went numb and just now it hits in the many small things you know are gone. I'm sure she would be very happy for you.