PDA

View Full Version : I found a fuel bug exploit..

Cpt-Maxim
06-02-11, 08:51 AM
One of my recent patrols I ran out of fuel. I had to dive and surface about 2000 times since I was about 1000 miles from RTB to Midway.

Another patrol, I ran our of fuel again, got the "out of fuel" message about 1000 miles from Midway but I was at flank speed, and I made no changes to speed - just kept hitting time compression to keep going. Fortunately I was on a straight plotted course already to the 10 nautical mile outer perimeter of Midway where the refit dock icon would show up. I maintained full speed until I finally reached the icon mode and got my fuel.

I assume that if you get the out of fuel message while in time compression, the game fails to notice that you never slow down.

Now since I began a new career this past month for the first time in a few years.. I am getting "back up to speed" on most of the little details I need to pay attention to.. like getting home more often, and using 8.5 knots for all in/out ocean crossings, etc..

WernherVonTrapp
06-02-11, 09:34 AM
I assume that if you get the out of fuel message while in time compression, the game fails to notice that you never slow down.

Well:hmmm:, congratulations on making it back to base but, I don't think I'll be testing that theory anytime soon.:D
:salute:

Jan Kyster
06-02-11, 10:11 AM
...using 8.5 knots for all in/out ocean crossings, etc..Now, that is just plain silly. Why not "hack" your sub and get some more realistic settings, like 12 to 15 knots cruise speed?

What mod are you using - if any?

Armistead
06-02-11, 10:46 AM
Not me, I can be at high TC and when I get low fuel I get warnings, the TC will drop downto 8 with the warning, seems when I'm down to 10% fuel. You'll get another message stating you're out and TC will drop again, but you still have about 200nms of fuel.

What version are you playing, seems this was a bug in earlier stock.

Cpt-Maxim
06-02-11, 03:04 PM
There is no "hack" necessary - it just seems to happen to me as I described.

Im using SH4-1.5-UBM

This is a list of the mods currently being used.. and in the "mysub" mod below only contains my personal graphic and sound creations.. no game file changes.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.4.0.145
[C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]
#1 PE4 Install main
#2a PE4 Special effects for Stock
#2b PE4 Special effects Zones for NSM4 Classic
#2c PE4 Special effects for NSM4 Light
#2d PE4 Special Effects For TMO 152
#3_PE4_c_Submarine_Stock_caustics_rolllpitch_deepe r
#3_PE4_TM_Submarine_Stock_caustics_rolllpitch_deep er
#4 PE4 Ship_debris_SH4_with bodies
#5_PE4_real_reflections_for_harbour_and_objects
P4 Loading screen
Shippack1
US-DD-Sensors-1.5
WebsterCam1.5
warships_retextured_v1_3
Websters20mmCamPosition
MyFavSounds
ALive-Action-Interior-Sound-Mod1.0
MySub

Sailor Steve
06-02-11, 03:24 PM
Now, that is just plain silly. Why not "hack" your sub and get some more realistic settings, like 12 to 15 knots cruise speed?

What mod are you using - if any?
Twelve to fifteen knots is not a realistic cruise speed. Every source available lists US submarines' best ranges at either 8.75 or 10 knots.
http://www.valoratsea.com/gato.htm

AVGWarhawk
06-02-11, 03:37 PM
"Best ranges", but we are talking 3942 miles from Pearl to Tokyo. I have read transiting at 15kts and once on station patrolling at the lower kts. I think it was Mush Morton who did not spare the horses specifically heading back to Pearl or anywhere else for that matter. :hmmm:

Here is a cool read:

FOUR FAIRBANKS-MORSE OPPOSED PISTON DIESEL ENGINE / GENERATOR SETS AND ONE F. M. AUX. SET.
USS Threadfin (SS-410), originally named USS Sole (SS-410), was laid down on 18 March 1944 at the Portsmouth Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine. Launched on 26 June 1944. Commissioning took place on 30 August 1944 with Commander John J. Foote in command. USS Threadfin (SS-410) is a unit of the Balao Class. Designed, developed and built by the Portsmouth Navy Yard. Thus, USS Threadfin is a "Portsmouth Boat." When commissioned, USS Threadfin was 311 feet 8 inches in length overall and had a maximum beam of 27 feet 3 inches. Her standard displacement on the surface was 1,526 tons, her normal displacement on the surface was between 2,010 and 2,075 tons, and her submerged displacement was 2,401 tons. Fuel capacity was 118,300 gallons (rated) of diesel oil, which fueled 4 main Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston 1,600 horsepower diesel engines, and one auxiliary Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston diesel engine...which turned generators...which made electricity...which turned two Elliot main propulsion motors of 2,740 shaft horsepower...which could drive the boat at 20.25 knots on the surface...and gave her a cruising range on the surface of 11,000 miles at ten knots (rated).

http://www.subvetpaul.com/Engines.htm

Jan Kyster
06-02-11, 03:50 PM
Twelve to fifteen knots is not a realistic cruise speed. Every source available lists US submarines' best ranges at either 8.75 or 10 knots.
http://www.valoratsea.com/gato.htmThe War Patrols Reports! :up:

http://wwiiarchives.net/servlet/documents/usa/100/0

Daniel Prates
06-02-11, 03:51 PM
I saw this bug happen to me once. In stock version. In TMO or OM, you get no second chances.

Jan Kyster
06-02-11, 03:57 PM
"Best ranges", but we are talking 3942 miles from Pearl to Tokyo. I have read transiting at 15kts and once on station patrolling at the lower kts. I think it was Mush Morton who did not spare the horses specifically heading back to Pearl or anywhere else for that matter. :hmmm:

Here is a cool read:

http://www.subvetpaul.com/Engines.htmYeah, more speed means larger covered search area.

When the sea is slick like oil, let her stretch out and run 17-18 kts :rock:
For the most economic run you have to take the weather and sea state into consideration. If you set speed to 15 kts, apply lots of TC then you'll probably not notice the 15m/s storms you pass? Wasting loads of fuel...