PDA

View Full Version : Today on 9 May "Europe Day"

Dan D
05-09-11, 12:40 PM
I was already wondering why there are so many EU-related topics here on subsim lately until I realised that today, May 9th, is "Europe Day"!

http://www.theeuros.eu/EU-celebrates-Europe-Day,4847.html

"EU Boo hoo,

UN Sean Penn!"

Jaguar
05-09-11, 12:43 PM
Nice heads up.

Congrats to all our EU mates! :woot::woot:

Betonov
05-09-11, 12:48 PM
I'll drink to that. People of the old world, our star may be shinning a bit dimmer, but she is stil shining :woot:

Skybird, leave the bad EU politics for tommorow, have a Bier und Pretzel and celebrate, it's afterall Europe Day :D (not EU day)

Gerald
05-09-11, 12:51 PM
I was already wondering why there are so many EU-related topics here on subsim lately until I realised that today, May 9th, is "Europe Day"!

http://www.theeuros.eu/EU-celebrates-Europe-Day,4847.html

"EU Boo hoo,

UN Sean Penn!" Right!

STEED
05-09-11, 12:54 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5305/27605598a15f44bdab6749c.jpg

Jimbuna
05-09-11, 12:54 PM
I'll drink to that. People of the old world, our star may be shinning a bit dimmer, but she is stil shining :woot:

Skybird, leave the bad EU politics for tommorow, have a Bier und Pretzel and celebrate, it's afterall Europe Day :D (not EU day)

What is this Europe that people speak of? :hmmm:

Schroeder
05-09-11, 12:58 PM
That thing that you are so scared of that you have been hiding on an island for millennia.;)

Jaguar
05-09-11, 12:58 PM

Man, try to live in an "emerging country"....

Sailor Steve
05-09-11, 12:59 PM
It's this big piece of land on your side of the pond, populated mainly by foreigners. :O:

STEED
05-09-11, 01:05 PM
It's this big piece of land on your side of the pond, populated mainly by foreigners. :O:

Not any more, there all here claiming all the benefits they can get there grubby hands on. :nope:

Jimbuna
05-09-11, 01:06 PM
That thing that you are so scared of that you have been hiding on an island for millennia.;)

That'll be right :DL

DarkFish
05-09-11, 01:18 PM
Europe day, eh?
Never heard about it, but it's a perfect opportunity to grab me another beer to celebrate it:()1:

Jaguar
05-09-11, 01:27 PM
Europe day, eh?
Never heard about it, but it's a perfect opportunity to grab me another beer to celebrate it:()1:

I love dutch practicalness!

Jimbuna
05-09-11, 02:10 PM
Me too :O:

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cutcaster-photo-731015471-Wooden-clogs.jpg

Jaguar
05-09-11, 02:12 PM
:haha:And they are surprisingly comfortable!

Skybird
05-09-11, 02:22 PM

If it is about Europe, why is it that the flags everywherre show the EU symbol? Those twelve stars on blue ground are the official EU symbology. There is no Europe flag or symbol independent from that that I know of.

BTW, why is it that foreigners always say "Pretzel"? It is a "Bretzel", with a soft B. And no, I do not like them a bit.

Like most Germans also do not like "Sauerkraut".

So, now I am triple-pissed. Bäh!

Respenus
05-09-11, 02:28 PM
If it is about Europe, why is it that the flags everywherre show the EU symbol? Those twelve stars on blue ground are the official EU symbology. There is no Europe flag or symbol independent from that that I know of.

Cough, cough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe), Sky. Don't say I haven't warned you lot in advance about making non-substantial claims. It is true that Europe Day is linked to Bert Schuman and his declaration and so more to the EU than to the Council of Europe, but the flag was used by the later a good 30 years before the former decided to do so. In any case I do agree that there are many things that still need to be said and agreed upon concerning the EU, not all of the pleasant, at least for our political leaders and it the end, for ourselves.

Betonov
05-09-11, 02:47 PM
Come on Sky :D Have a beer and a saltstick then :D don't be a sauerpuss if you don't like Sauerkraut. I'll bring you some zaseka* and dry sausage.
It's Europe day, next week will have America day. Any excuse for a celebration in these troublesome times. Leave the politics in the trashbin until tommorow.
Respensus, you bring cevapcici* and ajvar* and I'll bring the spring onions and potatoes and we'll have a Subsim Europe day celebration at Skybird, to cheer him up. Everyone else bring the drinks :D

* zaseka, cevapcici and ajvar, popular food in our parts, no picnic is complete without cevapcici and ajvar

Skybird
05-09-11, 02:49 PM
I do not care what the flag once meant, but what it is used for TODAY. and today it is the official representing emblem of the EU institution. Also, the talk of today that I fetched up when being in town or reading newspaper, is not so much about a Europe independently seen from the EU, but the EU itself, and the conflictz between "Europe" and "EU".

That is the travesty I am complaining about: the the EU actually claims to be Europe, and that there cannot be a Europe without the EU managing it, and that it was the EU only that brought peace and freedom to Europe, which is the most hilarious of all their claims. Peace and freedom there have com in the ewake of WWII, the American presence, the Soviet threat, and the existence of NATO. Trading relations between countries that already bnefore had closer ties, had little to do wtih it.

There is nothing to celebrate today, but to cry about: the loss of democratic principles, the destruction of Europe, the erposion of freedom, the explicit ignoring of people'S will in many European countries by the EU, the cruel joke the currency has proven to turn into, and the establishing of an economic plutocracy in Europe that is been put there at the cost of the ordinary people.

To hell with this EU. A greeting to our neighjbours, and a wholeheartly toast to the EU falling-apart. May it happen before it is all being turned into a total and irreversible mess completely. Cheers!

Raptor1
05-09-11, 02:59 PM
BTW, why is it that foreigners always say "Pretzel"? It is a "Bretzel", with a soft B. And no, I do not like them a bit.

Probably has to do with the fact it is spelled with a P in English...

Respenus
05-09-11, 02:59 PM
Respensus, you bring cevapcici* and ajvar* and I'll bring the spring onions and potatoes and we'll have a Subsim Europe day celebration at Skybird, to cheer him up. Everyone else bring the drinks :D

Don't forget about lepinja, burek, kotleti, pecenica and other goodies. Why don't we prepare a truly European menu for Sky in order to make him feel better? @Betonov: Preklet bodi, sedaj pa sem prišel na okus in sem postal lacen. In to v tujini kjer nimajo nasih dobrot! :wah:

Sky, I cannot claim to fully understand how you feel about the EU, yet I share many of your concerns and fully support you (in certain regards) in your critique. The EU isn't perfect, nor are our national states, who in fact, have CREATED and still (to a certain extent) CONTROL the functioning of the European institutions. I'm guessing that taking a piss on the markets and rating agencies would do wonder for social democracy in Europe. On the other hand, the Commission has a nasty habit of getting its "experts" from the industry, who of course, are always very friendly and suggest only what is the best for the European citizen...Damn, now I'm depressed. In the end sky, I worry with you, but I'm still young and not that bitter. Yet...

Betonov
05-09-11, 03:13 PM
Don't forget about lepinja, burek, kotleti, pecenica and other goodies. Why don't we prepare a truly European menu for Sky in order to make him feel better? @Betonov: Preklet bodi, sedaj pa sem prišel na okus in sem postal lacen. In to v tujini kjer nimajo nasih dobrot! :wah:

Pecenica gives me heart-burn, but then there's potica and prekmurska gibanica and prsut... mmmmmmm

To all the foreigners on the forum, the slovenian conversation after @Betonov is Respensus sending me to hell for making him hungry :DL

Skybird
05-09-11, 03:25 PM
Please, low glycaemic carbonhydrates for me only, protein, a bit of white meat and more of fish, fruits and raw vegetables. I need to slim down a bit... :oops: Less beer (a concession to summer temperature, else it would be: no beer), less wine, less bread and crop, no fat steak or sausage, no pasta, no potatoes, no rice, no chocolates, chips or sweets - all the things that make life tasting a bit better I have declared verboten currently. :stare:

Jaguar
05-09-11, 03:28 PM
Please, low glycaemic carbonhydrates for me only, protein, a bit of white meat and more of fish, fruits and raw vegetables. I need to slim down a bit... :oops: Less beer (a concession to summer temperature, else it would be: no beer), less wine, less bread and crop, no fat steak or sausage, no pasta, no potatoes, no rice, no chocolates, chips or sweets - all the things that make life tasting a bit better I have declared verboten currently. :stare:

Dang mate! No wonder you look so pessimistic. Good luck with the diet :rock:

Skybird
05-09-11, 03:33 PM
:cry: Life doesn't love me currently.

But the diet works, and very well.

Unfortunately. Else I would have the needed excuse to kick it.

Respenus
05-09-11, 03:42 PM

By the merciful Gods! I weep for you Sky. My doctor said the same thing (well, alcohol excluded since I don't drink), but I gave him a shifty look and said of course. I've said it many times, although it is far from rational: I'd rather die happy on a full stomach, than gain a couple of years and be miserable due the diet. Foolishness of a young man, you might say. Wisdom of a gourmand say I.

Jaguar
05-09-11, 03:44 PM
:cry: Life doesn't love me currently.
But the diet works, and very well.
Unfortunately. Else I would have the needed excuse to kick it.

Some consolation then:03:.

I talked these days with a portuguese friend, the current crisis has put lots of stress on EU and its bureaucracy doesn´t seems to be making the right choices. :nope:

Jaguar
05-09-11, 03:45 PM
Foolishness of a young man, you might say. Wisdom of a gourmand say I.

Say this when you get closer to 60 :O:.

Jimbuna
05-09-11, 03:55 PM

So why are you on hunger strike then? :hmmm:

MH
05-09-11, 04:01 PM
Next step is fotosinteze-the ultimate diet.:sunny:

Betonov
05-09-11, 04:05 PM
Sobec salad then: only fresh vegetables, sliced tomatoes, sliced spring onion, sliced cucumber and some peppers (not the spicy ones, the yellow big ones), some lemon juice and olive oil over it. I allways grate some ementaler cheese over it.
Or maybe Forelle ala Trieste, grilled only on gentle amounts of olive oil, my second favourite dish, but the garlic sause is deadly :DL (that's trout or postrv for all non Germans)
Oh, and you'll love prsut, air dried salted pork thigh (I'll shoot anyone who calls it ham :stare:), it's actually healthier than it sounds, low on fat if you don't eat the white fat parts and pigs are hand picked so they have more muscles than fat. But the salt content might kill you.

My doctor said the same thing (well, alcohol excluded since I don't drink), but I gave him a shifty look and said of course.

I'm lucky, my doctors are more busy trying to cure my asthma than getting me on diets :DL But a weight loss is a priority, since I've had weight problems since I was 5. I managed to change my diet, still eat most of the things that make life easier, but crossed of some of the nasty ones, like anything fried. One thing is for sure, my heart-burns are gone, it's working. Now if I can just put my asthma in check so I can get more moving and less trying to catch my breath in my life

Skybird
05-09-11, 04:10 PM
By the merciful Gods! I weep for you Sky. My doctor said the same thing (well, alcohol excluded since I don't drink), but I gave him a shifty look and said of course. I've said it many times, although it is far from rational: I'd rather die happy on a full stomach, than gain a couple of years and be miserable due the diet. Foolishness of a young man, you might say. Wisdom of a gourmand say I.
Actually it is not as worse as it seems, if you know whjat you are doing (eating). Basing on avoiding highly glycaemic carbonhydrates and focussing on low gycaemic ones, plus avoiding animal fat anbd prfgeerring unsaturated plant oil, still leaves you many options to eat, and eat a lot. For the allowed things, there is no limit.

The watchwords would be LOGI (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOGI) (Wiki has no English entry for it, althoigh the methoid was developed at Harvard), and Montignac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montignac_diet)method. But it is less a temporary diet, but a change of food habits in general.

It is even easier when you just want to hold your weight. But as long as you want to loose some, the rules are tighter.

DarkFish
05-09-11, 04:10 PM
To all the foreigners on the forum, the slovenian conversation after @Betonov is Respensus sending me to hell for making him hungry :DLWhile we're on the subject...
I might visit Slovenia with a few friends this summer (Metalcamp festival in Tolmin), is there anything particular you can recommend us to eat or do (in the few hours without interesting concerts)?

Skybird
05-09-11, 04:20 PM
So why are you on hunger strike then? :hmmm:
To sabotage this thread whose original theme I did not like :D.

And because I feel too heavy. I am not fixiated on numbers, I just do not feel well the way I am in. Have become lazy over the past two years. Lots of bicycle, but no other exercising anymore. Too many sweets.

Worst of all, two months ago I was maintaining my two swords, Katanas, like I use to do two or three times a year (checking, preventing rust, mineral powder and the like).

It felt heavy when swinging them.

Not good. My old mentor would chase me around the block all day long, cursing me. It tells me my muscles have become - well, older, and untrained. :88)

Wouldn't mind to have 20 pounds less on my ribs. When my weight was 79 kilos, I felt best in my life, physically (I'm 178 cm)

Betonov
05-09-11, 04:27 PM
While we're on the subject...
I might visit Slovenia with a few friends this summer (Metalcamp festival in Tolmin), is there anything particular you can recommend us to eat or do (in the few hours without interesting concerts)?

Don't know any good restaurants in Tolmin, but I recommend you drive to Bled for a Kremsnita or kremna rezina. It's a cake with a special (secret recipe) egg creme and whipped cream between two slices of pastry. But it's a long drive from Tolmin to Bled.
Trout ala trieste (trzaska postrv) is good, the trouts in that valley are especially good. It's esentialy a grilled trout with garlic sause, suprisingly good.
And my favourite dish of all time, grilled squid, filled with cheese and prsut, any good restaurant has them (polnjeni kalamari na zaru).
And when it comes to pastry, potica and prekmurska gibanica. But it might be hard to get them, since they are regional dishes.
Nightlife: Ljubljana, Portoroz or Bled

I'll PM you if I remember anything more significant

Respensus, anything to add ???

DarkFish
05-09-11, 04:39 PM
To sabotage this thread whose original theme I did not like :D.Agreed, let's make it a thread about European food instead:D

Don't know any good restaurants in Tolmin, but I recommend you drive to Bled for a Kremsnita or kremna rezina. It's a cake with a special (secret recipe) egg creme and whipped cream between two slices of pastry. But it's a long drive from Tolmin to Bled.
Trout ala trieste (trzaska postrv) is good, the trouts in that valley are especially good. It's esentialy a grilled trout with garlic sause, suprisingly good.
And my favourite dish of all time, grilled squid, filled with cheese and prsut, any good restaurant has them (polnjeni kalamari na zaru).
And when it comes to pastry, potica and prekmurska gibanica. But it might be hard to get them, since they are regional dishes.
Nightlife: Ljubljana, Portoroz or BledNow if I only could remember all those strange words... Why couldn't you Slovenians come up with an easier language?:O:

I'll PM you if I remember anything more significant

Respensus, anything to add ???That'd be much appreciated:salute:

Respenus
05-09-11, 04:49 PM
Not much to add, Betonov has managed to write down all the supposedly great dishes of the Slovenian cuisine. Furthermore, I don't know much about that of Slovenia in particular, so I can't add anything else. But from what I heard from people who went to Metalcamp in the past, you can expect one hell of a time. Whether that's good or bad, I really don't know and I really don't wish to find out :-?

Jimbuna
05-09-11, 05:10 PM
To sabotage this thread whose original theme I did not like :D.

And because I feel too heavy. I am not fixiated on numbers, I just do not feel well the way I am in. Have become lazy over the past two years. Lots of bicycle, but no other exercising anymore. Too many sweets.

Worst of all, two months ago I was maintaining my two swords, Katanas, like I use to do two or three times a year (checking, preventing rust, mineral powder and the like).

It felt heavy when swinging them.

Not good. My old mentor would chase me around the block all day long, cursing me. It tells me my muscles have become - well, older, and untrained. :88)

Wouldn't mind to have 20 pounds less on my ribs. When my weight was 79 kilos, I felt best in my life, physically (I'm 178 cm)

One thing you'll never achieve...beating the onset of age :O:

Betonov
05-10-11, 01:20 AM
Now if I only could remember all those strange words... Why couldn't you Slovenians come up with an easier language?:O:

Riiiiiight, and the Dutch came up with something a lot easier :O:

http://www.zezeran.com/assets/images/dutch/eurotrip.jpg

Penguin
05-10-11, 05:28 AM
Come on Sky :D Have a beer and a saltstick then :D don't be a sauerpuss if you don't like Sauerkraut. I'll bring you some zaseka* and dry sausage.
It's Europe day, next week will have America day. Any excuse for a celebration in these troublesome times. Leave the politics in the trashbin until tommorow.

*speaking in my worst balkan-accent-imitation*
Ah, zhose Germans always think only wiz zeir brains. Have some food, have a drink and dance! Tohmorrow iz loong away!

PS: I must admit that Skybird has a point, especially in terms of the EU (un-)democracy

PPS: Question to the Slowenians: Does your Aldi carry vegetarian cevapcici? Ours had it some years ago! They were extremly yummy - but I think I was the only one who bought them...:wah:

Torplexed
05-10-11, 05:32 AM

James Dean did. :03:

August
05-10-11, 07:06 AM

Amen Brother.

Betonov
05-10-11, 07:27 AM
PPS: Question to the Slowenians: Does your Aldi carry vegetarian cevapcici? Ours had it some years ago! They were extremly yummy - but I think I was the only one who bought them...:wah:

Those even exist ???
Can't really tell you, but I'm shure that you'll find a grocery or restaurant in Ljubljana that sells them. But as I said, can't give you any other or more precise location

And please, we are not the balkans :stare:, when food is not involved :DL

Penguin
05-10-11, 08:00 AM
Those even exist ???
Can't really tell you, but I'm shure that you'll find a grocery or restaurant in Ljubljana that sells them. But as I said, can't give you any other or more precise location

Oh they were great, juicy, spicy and with enough fat - like the original and as they were sold by Aldi also cheap - many veggie meat substitute lacks all these features :cry:

And please, we are not the balkans :stare:, when food is not involved :DL
My bad, but according to wiki at least southern Slovenia belongs to it ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Balkan_topo_en.jpg
Cheers from the Penguin whose ancestors came from the deep Balkan, centuries ago! :salute:

Betonov
05-10-11, 08:13 AM
My bad, but according to wiki at least southern Slovenia belongs to it ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Balkan_topo_en.jpg
Cheers from the Penguin whose ancestors came from the deep Balkan, centuries ago! :salute:

Yes it is. Slovenia belongs to the balcans and central europe. Depends how you look at it. We were the powerhouse of Yugoslavia, we were the second Switzerland in the 90'. But we are going back south the past years :cry:
The food is good though :03:

It's a pride thing, not wanting to be in the balcans. Foolish pride, more like self-denial :cry:

DarkFish
05-10-11, 09:41 AM
Riiiiiight, and the Dutch came up with something a lot easier :O:

http://www.zezeran.com/assets/images/dutch/eurotrip.jpgWell, of all those letters at least the F, L, N, H, I and N are used in the Dutch language yes:rotfl2:

Penguin
05-10-11, 09:55 AM
You poor Dutchies have no K?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIgymxT9a0

Sorry to hear that you have to eat carrion insted of cheese....:haha:

edit:
to the non dutch folks: When you remove the K from the dutch word for cheese, "kaas", you get the german/dutch word for carrion ;)